One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Guenon
KVRian
1485 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am

jasinski wrote:Denied.. No mac version. Guess I have to find something else to do this month. :)
Ah, bummer. Didn't realize this when recommending the synth :?

Guenon
KVRian

Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 am

Frostline wrote:Am I understanding the information correctly in the general thread about the synth that we need to create an .ini file in order to use host automation? I forgot to actually test any automation when I was working with it earlier (oops) and figured I would just ask while I was here.
That seems to be the case, yes. Other than that, you can use the built-in MIDI CC assignments in place of direct host automation for parameters. Not the same thing, of course, but they are there. EvilDragon did quite a lot of interesting digging for custom configurations in that thread you mentioned, it pays off for anyone using this to skim those text pastes through :) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=498656&start=45

All in all, I think it's an interesting "outlier" synth (especially with the larger but not unrestrictedly available one, Tranzistow), but I haven't been storing patches or music with this yet. Tested for a good while so that it seemed very interesting and robust enough, though, so I'm hoping it doesn't explode when put to hc OSC use, haha :). I hope I have time to enter this one, but I'm not certain, the schedule for this month still kind of taking shape.

Guenon
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 am

bjporter wrote:Thanks to Guenon for the suggestion.
:) And thanks to Wagtunes for starting the Tranzistow/Diodow thread, these synths were right off my radar before.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1618 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 am

Guenon wrote:
bjporter wrote:Thanks to Guenon for the suggestion.
:) And thanks to Wagtunes for starting the Tranzistow/Diodow thread, these synths were right off my radar before.
Mine aswell. Great synth :tu:

eraze the borders
KVRist
124 posts since 4 Apr, 2012 from Berlin, Germany

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 am

Guenon wrote:
Frostline wrote:Am I understanding the information correctly in the general thread about the synth that we need to create an .ini file in order to use host automation? I forgot to actually test any automation when I was working with it earlier (oops) and figured I would just ask while I was here.
That seems to be the case, yes. Other than that, you can use the built-in MIDI CC assignments in place of direct host automation for parameters. Not the same thing, of course, but they are there.
Can someone please elaborate how to do the .ini thing. I'm kind of clueless here. :?:
Failure is success in progress.

Guenon
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 am

eraze the borders wrote:Can someone please elaborate how to do the .ini thing. I'm kind of clueless here. :?:
Just a sec, I'll prepare an .ini file with the required tweaks and attach it here and tell you where you need to place it in your system. That is, if someone else hasn't already done that in the mean time, heh ( ---> away for a moment, shouldn't take long :) )

Guenon
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 am

Okay, here's a zip file with a few alternative schemes of mine, and also the one from EvilDragon. They all have (hopefully) more eye-friendly colors, host automation enabled, flat sliders for easier readability, and GUI scaling of 150%. If you wish to edit the scaling, just open the ini file in a text editor like Notepad, and change the Scale=150 value to something more suitable.

1) pick a scheme file from the extracted zip, and rename the file to Diodow.ini
2) place that Diodow.ini into the same folder you have the plugin dll in (Diodow32.dll or Diodow64.dll)

Included schemes:

Blueish

EvilDragon Orange

MonoBlack

MonoGrey

A caveat about host automation: it seems the plugin doesn't report the last touched parameter correctly to the host. So in every host where you have the whole parameter list available in any case, you are able to use host automation by selecting the desired parameters from there. In hosts where you need to touch a parameter first in order to have it show as an automation target (like Live)... using host automation is problematic :P, and I'm guessing you pretty much just need to use MIDI CC assignments for parameters in-synth instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

] Peter:H [
KVRian
584 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:02 am

VSTHost went into Guru Meditation the second I added the plugin to the empty project.
Cubase 9.5 Pro - VST loaded into instrument track, changed patch thru patch browser --> Short noise impulse + Track Meter full scale deep red display for several 10 seconds without any more sound? After some 10 seconds meter goes down without any noticable event that triggerd it.
Seems another month I'm going to pass, and rather play with my other toys.

løkken
KVRer
17 posts since 7 Oct, 2017

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:22 am

So is it allowed to use factory presets that involve samples and samples themselves? In my opinion this question is pretty important.

Guenon
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 am

løkken wrote:So is it allowed to use factory presets that involve samples and samples themselves? In my opinion this question is pretty important.
In the Thorn round, for example, that was exactly the way it was done. So it's probable this approach will not change here :). Factory presets and factory samples are okay, playing back your own samples isn't.

bh9090
KVRist
270 posts since 7 Dec, 2006 from Richmond, VA, USA

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 am

Anyone have a download mirror? or can upload the zip file? The page is timing out:
[disregard, I got it]

colonp
KVRer
19 posts since 27 Feb, 2009

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:50 am

I somehow messed up the synth settings on all my saves of the first sketch I did in Live. Limited amount of work, but what I had, had a nice groove and mood to it. Not even sure what I did wrong. Frustrating.

mehum
KVRist
419 posts since 24 Feb, 2015 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 am

Very nice synth but unfortunately unusable, at least in Reaper, since it won't retain settings on save/load. Seems to be some problem with the instances getting mixed up. Things like duplicating a track will use the last edited instance instead of the instance on the track.

Very unfortunate, since I really like the oscillator shaping and thought the filters sounded nice, but I don't have the patience right now to work with something this buggy...

eraze the borders
KVRist
124 posts since 4 Apr, 2012 from Berlin, Germany

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 am

Guenon wrote:Okay, here's a zip file with a few alternative schemes of mine, and also the one from EvilDragon. They all have (hopefully) more eye-friendly colors, host automation enabled, flat sliders for easier readability, and GUI scaling of 150%. If you wish to edit the scaling, just open the ini file in a text editor like Notepad, and change the Scale=150 value to something more suitable.

1) pick a scheme file from the extracted zip, and rename the file to Diodow.ini
2) place that Diodow.ini into the same folder you have the plugin dll in (Diodow32.dll or Diodow64.dll)
Thanks a lot, looks much better. But I must be doing sth wrong, it's not working. Any idea what could be the problem?
Failure is success in progress.

wagtunes
KVRAF
13400 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 am

Here's a zip file with 125 sounds I made for Diodow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/au4ai4h48sjpd ... w.zip?dl=0

Some notes about these sounds.

1. Some were created using samples. However, I did not upload the samples so those patches won't work.

2. Some were created for Tranzistow. These will load into Diodow but I'm not 100% sure about compatibility.

3. The library is basically experimental. There are a few "bread and butter" patches. But very few. That's not the purpose of this library. Essentially it makes extensive use of LFOs in creative ways. So if you're into ambient, sci-fi or anything outside of the ordinary, you might find this library useful. If not, then not so much. All in all there are over 100 patches that you'll be able to use for this OSC.

Anyway questions, just ask.

BJ, if you want to include the link in the main post here, please feel free to do so.

Return to “Instruments”