One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

functionform wrote:Schiing your track is killer. How did you know I secretly love smooth jazz.
Thanks! Everyone secretly loves smooth jazz!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote:
functionform wrote:Schiing your track is killer. How did you know I secretly love smooth jazz.
yeah, and sax on the beach

Freaking guilty pleasures!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

mmGhost wrote:
schiing wrote:
+1

schiing wrote:I hate to be early to the party, yet here we are!

Here's a derivative little piece of fluff for you. I've been listening back to some of OSC's recent history this week, and this one's... er, well, it certainly doesn't belong in any of the popular genres. But I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did making it.

The Diodow synth truly is a treat to work with and it sounds like a million bucks. The modest, soft snare in the last section, for instance, warms my heart a little every time it beats. I don't know what that says about me, but there it is.

I wanted soo badly to put some tube sheen on my "electric guitar" lead on this track, but I was worried that someone might question the legitimacy of the distortion level, so I didn't. I hope you'll forgive the harshness of the enveloped saw substituting for tube amp overdrive.

Thanks for all the tips that pop up in the thread - I pick up lots of useful advice on the way even though I haven't asked any questions yet. Getting to like the OSC :)

(n.b. I'll continue to work on this track throughout the month, I want the master a bit louder and there may be some other edits by March, possibly a little boogie epilogue or something like that - Diodow is the gift that keeps on giving :-) But I was ready to get it out there! )

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/pour ... etudes-kid

SUMMARY
All sounds from init. All synthesis, no samples. 39 instances of Diodow so far.

Studio One Pro stock effects:
36 ProEQ's,
2 MixTools

Tried some new freeware effects (for me, anyway) as well this time just for fun (instances in parentheses):
Modern Seventh Sign compressor (2)
Dead Duck's Channel strip (1)
Modern Flash Verb (1)
Dead Duck's Compressor (2)
Dead Duck Reverb (2) I used this for a bit of room ambience on the master, and it turned out pretty exceptional on the snares and clap - so insanely luxurious and airy!
Voxengo Tube Amp (1)
Voxengo Overtone GEQ (1)
Flux BitterSweet (3)
Limiter6 (1)
Molot3 (1)
TDR Vos SlickEQ (1)
BootEQmkII (1)
TAL Reverb 4 (2)
Transient (2)
Crosstalk2 (1)

And good luck to everyone this month!
What an awesome track. i loved it.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Yes, such a great track. I'm now starting again with something completely different. Enjoyed this one a lot, and has inspired me to change what I had already got going. <sigh>

Cheers,

dB

This crashes Ableton Live instantly if I try to add it to an instrument rack. Which is a bummer because I like to layer for percussion sounds. Also host automation doesn't work at all, no matter what control I try to automate it just selects the Osc1 group, which doesn't actually modulate anything.

I tried it in Reason and the scale is all off on host automation and clicks like crazy if you adjust anything.

Those issues combined with the whacky UI and not supporting the host saving the state of the patch are really killing me, and I was so enthusiastic this month :( Ah well.

Maybe we can do https://www.fathomsynth.com/ next month, it works on Mac too!

mmGhost wrote:
schiing wrote:
You've been reading Kenny G's Twitter account! He has sax everywhere.

And thanks so much, 3lu5iv3 and doctorbob and everyone else. I'm embarrassed - someone needs to post an awesome track soon and redirect all this attention, I feel like I'm occupying the thread! (that was a joke - I'm loving every second of it :hihi: :lol: :love: )
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Lempface wrote:Also host automation doesn't work at all, no matter what control I try to automate it just selects the Osc1 group, which doesn't actually modulate anything.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you did set up a Diodow.ini file to switch automation on, correct?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cturner wrote:
Lempface wrote:Also host automation doesn't work at all, no matter what control I try to automate it just selects the Osc1 group, which doesn't actually modulate anything.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you did set up a Diodow.ini file to switch automation on, correct?
Oh, yes, should have mentioned that! Thanks for taking the time to attempt to help, I think its just buggered as the DEV states its experimental.

Yes, the plugin doesn't report the last touched parameter to host. Gotta use the list of parameters and pick one manually.

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, the plugin doesn't report the last touched parameter to host. Gotta use the list of parameters and pick one manually.
Guess I'm outta luck then, Ableton makes you choose by clicking parameter.

That's a shit UX design. I mean, it's good to have it but it shouldn't be the only way to do it. Obviously there are also benefits of having a list of ALL available automation parameters, which you can filter through by parameter name, to find what you want. It's kinda ridiculous not being able to do that...

In any case, you can work around this by using the MIDI mod matrix and assigning CCs to parameters, then sending those CCs from Live's MIDI editor to the plugin...

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:I would advice Schiing to rewrite his piece as a full production, as it's so good. While it does show off the synth well enough, that song is too good to restrict it to a single synth. He should then add it to his portfolio.
You're too kind! Heh, maybe Snarky Puppy wants it - I'd give it to them for free. :lol:

Return to “Instruments”