One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
urlwolf
KVRian
558 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 pm

It works well on tracktion 7 linux, no resize bug.
Any idea how to audition presets fast with keyboard or pressing a 'next' button or something?

TheNeverScene
KVRian
526 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 pm

This contraption is wicked good...sorry for the giddiness.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

kokotte
KVRian
698 posts since 17 Sep, 2014

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Guenon wrote:
Frostline wrote:Each new instance is getting bigger and it no longer will fit on the monitor where I usually put the synth GUI and if it keeps growing as it has it will soon not fit on my largest monitor either.
I noticed this as well. Sigh. It makes every subsequent instance 150% in size compared to the last one :dog: ... Oh well. If anyone encounters that problem, remove the "Scale=150" row from the ini file. I'm testing this at the default 100% now.

Also, for all things considered, it might be a good idea to backup the DiodowPatches folder once in a while :D. As all patches are saved only there, and a single patch is shared between all project files using it... that kind of stuff is good for paranoia (at least for me), hah.

To recap, have all individual Diodow instances use uniquely named patches, save them every time you actually change the patch and wish to keep the changed version, and at the end of the session, drag the DiodowPatches folder somewhere safe so that you can drag them back if something unexpected happens (like, if you forget to rename a patch and happen to write over something that is critical in another project or instance).

:borg: :help:
you can duplicate the dll, diodow 1, diodow 2...and every instances should load with the right user size.
i do it with tranzistow and it works .

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17166 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm

urlwolf wrote:Any idea how to audition presets fast with keyboard or pressing a 'next' button or something?
You can't. But at least in the browser you don't need to double-click to load a preset (like in Roland's f**king plugins!)

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

kokotte wrote:you can duplicate the dll, diodow 1, diodow 2...and every instances should load with the right user size.
i do it with tranzistow and it works .
That's a pretty lame workaround... I've reported this to Hrast.

It looks like this doesn't happen when scaling is at default 100, so perhaps use it like that, if possible.

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

So, to piece together the patch thing...any instances using a patch are saved in the host as that patch via Diodow's browser. Any variations need to be saved as a separate new patch for any reloads of a project(s) to keep an instance from reverting back to the original patch. Correct? It's like a soft synth with analog patch memory! lol

edit: it looks like Reaper's built in patch saving/default patch setting/project save and reload as vst state works normally.

BTW @Evildragon, it's the Cockos forums I know you from. Go Reaper!

Frostline
KVRist
327 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

TheNeverScene wrote:So, to piece together the patch thing...any instances using a patch are saved in the host as that patch via Diodow's browser. Any variations need to be saved as a separate new patch for any reloads of a project(s) to keep an instance from reverting back to the original patch. Correct? It's like a soft synth with analog patch memory! lol
The part I am not quite figuring out is how to rename a patch prior to saving in the synth.

I open Diodow, press the init button, it loads the init patch.
I make my adjustments so now it sounds like a snare for example.
Pressing save simply overwrites the init patch(without any opportunity to rename it first) so init now sounds like a snare. :x

Only workaround I have come up with is then going into file browser, navigating to the patch folder, renaming init to snare and then in Diodow loading the snare patch from there so it updates the patch name.
Sometimes it will let me name a new patch if init patch doesn't exist in the patch folder but often it will just create a new init patch which I then have to go rename. :bang:

There must be a less tedious way to do this that I am not seeing.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Guenon
KVRAF
1506 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Right click the save button instead of left click, and it gives you a "save as" dialog.

Yeah it's pretty esoteric :D

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

That's weird, Frostline. Reaper gave me the option to save in whatever folder (ie the Diodow patch folder), as well as just normal Reaper patch saving (did both just to figure out what was not going to work after finally making a patch without user error crashes, but both worked). I saved the init patch in Reaper's "save as default patch" to make any new instances open as init and that worked too.

I didn't have to right click either. Clearly, Reaper is far superior to all other DAWs. LOL. JUST KIDDING!!

edit: ever since, I've had to right click. If I actually right clicked before, that explains a lot. Caveman style til deadline.
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Guenon wrote:Yeah it's pretty esoteric :D
When I saw that you suggested this thing and then saw the interface, I realized that this month was a straight set up!

I had to break out my old CRT monitor just to keep the vibe alive haha

Seriously, though....this synth is great. Thank you. Glad I figured out how to properly install it.

Frostline
KVRist
327 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Guenon wrote:Right click the save button instead of left click, and it gives you a "save as" dialog.

Yeah it's pretty esoteric :D
:dog: :oops:
Well thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't right click that. I had right clicked the patch name and got an open dialog window, knew I didn't want that and abandoned right clicking anything else. :lol:

I'm possibly the only one that didn't quickly figure out another thing too.
The tabs each have two states depending on how many times clicked. I spent 10 minutes trying to find the noise amt setting after I accidently hit the correct tab twice and noise setting was only in the other tab state. :clown:
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Guenon
KVRAF
1506 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Also, right clicking the Init button seems to lead to a built-in patch randomizer o_o ...? I have no idea how to use it, precisely. It seems it changes the state of the whole GUI so that you can enter numerical values for the parameters on all different tabs, and when you hit the randomizing button, it generates values for the ones you have singled out like that. Or something... somewhat close to this description :)
TheNeverScene wrote:When I saw that you suggested this thing and then saw the interface, I realized that this month was a straight set up!
Hah!

It does seem it might be up my alley, doesn't it? :D

Well, I'm pretty much jumping into this from zero as most others here, so at least I don't have anything previously stored for this. (Come to think of it, I have never participated in an OSC where my track wasn't the first one I ever did with the chosen synth :) )

I'll try to cook something up, but I'm still not certain how fully I can throw myself at an OSC this month.

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Me too. Every one of these I've had a go at was a gateway into a pretty incredible synth/developer. Started with Synth1 a while back, then the awesome OBX-d, etc. Every month is some new adventure from absolute nothingness. Everyone always amazes me with what they can pull off with minimal options. Definitely a less is more treasure trove.

colonp
KVRer
19 posts since 27 Feb, 2009

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:08 am

Free-running LFO and OSC switches aren't saved in the patch files for me :( Ableton Live.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 am

Hrast fixed the consecutive GUI resize bug, fixed builds should be up sometime today when he reads the e-mail where I confirm the fix :)

Return to “Instruments”