One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
TheNeverScene
KVRian
571 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:45 am

Yeah, that would have been the ticket.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17582 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 am

BTW guys (again)...

If you don't want Diodow to open and automatically play that sound, edit Diodow.hp in a text editor and change the PlayNote=36 line in [Voice] section to PlayNote=-1 :)

zarf
KVRist
400 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am

@EvilDragon - Thanks for that one - I'll do that, cheers

wagtunes
KVRAF
14584 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 am

When I get a chance, I'll do a video tutorial explaining how the envelopes work. That's also if I can get my stupid Camtasia, Cubase and Voicemeter to work again. After the last video I made, suddenly I can't seem to get the voice to work. Or I can get the voice to work but then there's no sound from Cubase. Something got screwed up and have no idea what.

But I'll work on it first chance I get.

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 am

Thanks! It's cool patch, like a trippy french horn. Looks like we're all getting a lesson in coding on this one.

Guenon
KVRAF
1538 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 am

Heh, figured I should mention this, although it's quite obvious: if you're delving deep into this, it pays off to read the Hrast www page carefully at least once through :) ... There's stuff like this:

"Modulation rate is SampleRate/8 so, for example, at 96kHz all modulations are calculated/refreshed at 12kHz. There is another 16-slot modulation matrix which is refreshed at MIDI-rate, approx. 333 times per second. MIDI modulation matrix parameters are hidden on the modulation matrix page."

Also, regarding some weird stuff reportedly happening at lower sample rates (timings, etc.), it's good to note that "The engine is optimized for 96kHz sample rate. Other sample rates can be used, of course, but 96kHz is the only officially supported sample rate."

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:25 am

I stopped at the screenshots. Didn't know the page went on to all that info! Almost a manual :D

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
1848 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 am

When I first saw the "GUI" on the web site, I thought perfect for VFX on the Mac, because it is the same info as if you use a synth without GUI... But it does not work on VFX that way, because its not report any parameter to the host. That is why you can't save it with a DAW. Unfortunately the "GUI" does not open at all in VFX. The only song I could do, is record that initial sound for a while. 1 point garantied...

Does it work in DOS maybe?

bryemye
KVRist
33 posts since 8 Dec, 2017

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:59 am

Finally starting to get this figured out. I think once I changed my sample rate I needed to reopen Reaper. Now at least the envelopes are behaving like I expect them to.

Pretty cool synth. Think I will try a Synthwave track this month.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:00 am

If you create an .ini file with the name of the plugin (Diodow.ini, Tranzistow.ini) and place it next to the plugin file, and put this in it:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
Automation=1
it will list all parameters to host.

Guenon
KVRAF
1538 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:27 am

colonp wrote:I would like to ask that user-apathetic devs like this to not be picked for future OSCs. Thank you.
Although the synth is made for his own use an offered to others for free, as he makes known on the synth www page, he was actually kind enough to promptly release an update based on user reports here.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
1848 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 am

EvilDragon wrote:If you create an .ini file with the name of the plugin (Diodow.ini, Tranzistow.ini) and place it next to the plugin file, and put this in it:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
Automation=1
it will list all parameters to host.
It will give me a "bad parameter count" error and does not show any parameter...
I have to skip it...

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:54 am

Guess the host you're talking about doesn't support the huge number of parameters these two synths have :)

Frostline
KVRist
327 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:02 am

colonp wrote:I would like to ask that user-apathetic devs like this to not be picked for future OSCs. Thank you.
I would like to ask that advice like above be ignored for future OSCs.
It is not like devs are falling over themselves trying to get featured in this little contest.
It is a situation where we take what we can get and are either happy for it, or we can simply not participate.
What new(to OSC) synth would you have recommended as a substitute for Diodow this month where the dev would be as supportive as you would like?
We have had months where the synth in question has had zero updates despite crippling bugs. Yet here it is only the 3rd day (and early in the day for a sizable chunk of the world) and we already have an update. That seems exceptionally generous from a dev who offered the synth "AS-IS" and with no plans to support it at all.
Had I been the dev I would have been tempted to simply remove the download links and tell the OSC crowd to find something else to nitpick about.

I would like to thank the dev HrastProgrammer for making the synth available for us to use. Even if it never got any updates I think it is quite generous to take the result of what had to be a significant amount of time and energy and release that to the world for free.

As to the envelopes, I may not understand them quite correctly but they seem very powerful. The way I have been using them is in the bottom section putting the release in place of one of the sustains. So for just hits/plucks changing the 3rd slot to release(click the slot gives a submenu) and then just using the A,D and R sliders in the top section and ignoring the two S. And on notes where sustain is needed I change the 4th box instead. There is probably a better way but this seems to work.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

zarf
KVRist
400 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:37 am

I would like to express my gratitude to the developer for allowing us to use this synth for free. It sounds amazing. I think the terms of use on the HrastWerk website are very clear and totally fair... we should not expect any support or communication, that's the deal - which I accept happily to enjoy this synth :)

Return to “Instruments”