Thoughts On SuperWave Tarkus [Korg MS2000 Clone] and Sirius?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mace404 wrote:The 64 bit versions of the Superwave plugins seem to use JBridge.
I see a new process when loading a Superwave plugin with the same icon as the JBridge's auxhost.

For some reason I get no sound out of them anymore in Maschine - any other DAW works just fine.
Also tried the older 32 bit versions - same problem. Guess it's something with Maschine.
This and the small GUIs is all just very disappointing. I was hoping I'd actually missed something special.

Obviously not.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

wagtunes wrote: the small GUIs is all just very disappointing.
How can this be an issue for you? You always complain that they are too big. :D
It's a nice size for me on (still) my 19 inch Eizo.

Man I loved the Tarkus demo. I wish so so much that it didn't give me too many issues with my setup.
I've changed computers since then, and I'm tempted to give it another shot...
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I used to have the complete bundle thingy, I remember I disliked the operation of Tarkus, it felt so clumsy with all those menus and "hidden" parameters.

The more advanced Superwave synths used a lot of CK SE modules, the simple ones such as Professional used only stock SE modules, if I remember correctly.

But sound-wise they are no match for good non-SE synths in my view.

fluffy_little_something wrote:But sound-wise they are no match for good non-SE synths in my view.
IMO they have kinda classic sound. Making some trance sounds and they immediately sound like some late 90's early 2000's :)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote:Funny, both Ultimate and Equinox look identical to me, with the exception of the presets. If I were to choose, I'd go with the Equinox presets which are lovely. I will almost definitely put my money down for Equinox HD, and probably Tarkus. Not sure about the others yet.

Very nice synths for the money, but the GUI's could be bigger.
Same here. I like Tarkus the best. Quite analog-y. I like the 12 db filter for basses; the 24 db with high resonance has quite the acid scream. I shape the sounds further with my favorite effects.
I 'm very fond of the album "Equinox". So at that price I'm in for the sounds of JJ Jarre.

The knobs on the GUI are fiddly. That's a bit unfortunate. But I won't complain at that price.

fluffy_little_something wrote:But sound-wise they are no match for good non-SE synths in my view.
The fact that a plugin was made with SE is totally irrelevant with regard to its sound.

The idea that it could actually matter is as wrong as it would be to say that
- Plugins sound better on MacOS than on Windows
- Plugins sound better in Samplitude than in StudioOne
- RTAS plugins sound better than VST plugins
- Delphi plugins sound better than C++ plugins
- Plugins sound better in summer than in winter

Because SE is simply a host and therefore a 'neutral entity' as far as sound is concerned. In other words it does not have a sound of its own, it simply executes the code that you tell it to execute in order to produce sound, just like your OS does when you run your DAW and like your DAW does when you run an instrument plugin.

So if a plugin doesnt sound good then its not because it is a C++ VST plugin made with SE thats being run on Windows in StudioOne in winter. Its because the audio-code thats being executed by SE doesnt produce a good sound. If the code would produce a better sound by calculating things differently then the plugin would sound better too, in fact it couldnt be any other way because 1+1 always equals 2 regardless of OS, DAW, plugin format, whatever.

(Just make the test. SE loads VST plugins too, so load your favorite synth into SE, attach MIDI In and Audio Out and then save it as a new VST plugin. See if your favorite synth sounds any different now that it has been turned into a SE plugin. Of course it wont because the audio code hasnt changed, its just that SE is now passing it to the host much like a VST chainer would. And its exactly the same with SE modules, which too are DLLs just like your favorite synth, only with a .sem file extension.)

So how does Tarkus rate compared with the MS2K by curiosity? Any resemblance? Love the Korgs for sure.

ENV1 wrote:
The fact that a plugin was made with SE is totally irrelevant with regard to its sound.

The idea that it could actually matter is as wrong as it would be to say that
- Plugins sound better on MacOS than on Windows
- Plugins sound better in Samplitude than in StudioOne
- RTAS plugins sound better than VST plugins
- Delphi plugins sound better than C++ plugins
- Plugins sound better in summer than in winter

Because SE is simply a host and therefore a 'neutral entity' as far as sound is concerned. In other words it does not have a sound of its own, it simply executes the code that you tell it to execute in order to produce sound, just like your OS does when you run your DAW and like your DAW does when you run an instrument plugin.

So if a plugin doesnt sound good then its not because it is a C++ VST plugin made with SE thats being run on Windows in StudioOne in winter. Its because the audio-code thats being executed by SE doesnt produce a good sound. If the code would produce a better sound by calculating things differently then the plugin would sound better too, in fact it couldnt be any other way because 1+1 always equals 2 regardless of OS, DAW, plugin format, whatever.

(Just make the test. SE loads VST plugins too, so load your favorite synth into SE, attach MIDI In and Audio Out and then save it as a new VST plugin. See if your favorite synth sounds any different now that it has been turned into a SE plugin. Of course it wont because the audio code hasnt changed, its just that SE is now passing it to the host much like a VST chainer would. And its exactly the same with SE modules, which too are DLLs just like your favorite synth, only with a .sem file extension.)
I don't think it is irrelevant. Obviously it is also about the quality of the algorithms etc. that the programmer writes. And there are only a few modules per category that are commonly used by most SE developers including Superwave. Only few are capable of programming their own modules.
So, for instance on the Professional / Trance Pro there is a bug on very low notes. The lower you go on the keyboard, the higher the pitch becomes again, instead of lower.
I have never seen something like that on good non-SE synths.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:SynthEdit 1.3 is able to put out 64-bit VST2 and VST3, and also Mac AU, AFAIK. I read it's quite buggy though, but, i don't know.
Since when? Why is this the first I'm hearing of this? And if this is true, why hasn't all Synthedit devs made a 64 bit version for their synths?
Just buy the synths already.

I want wag to buy at least one of their synths and show off some presets!

Igro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:SynthEdit 1.3 is able to put out 64-bit VST2 and VST3, and also Mac AU, AFAIK. I read it's quite buggy though, but, i don't know.
Since when? Why is this the first I'm hearing of this? And if this is true, why hasn't all Synthedit devs made a 64 bit version for their synths?
Just buy the synths already.
Have no intentions of buying them if the GUIs are typical SE ones that you can't see clearly.

This one has already been put to rest as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Instruments”