'Proteus VX has stopped working'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just downloaded Proteus VX and went on to try it in energyXT but it crashed ext 3.

It says 'Proteus VX has stopped working' and it closes. The same thing happens with the standalone version. Now in folder that came with the zip there is a lot if files. A couple of dll's and zip files. These are within the 'ProtVX' folder. Do some of these need to be in the same folder where Proteus VX DLL is ?

Will appreciate any help here :wink:

Im on Windows 7, 64 bit.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

You need to install it, there's Setup.exe file in ProtVX folder, click on it and follow trough.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Yes I did that. I guess it could be s problem regarding compatability.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

not sure my problem is the same as above...

I'm very recently returning to the word of composing music electronically, after a very long break (25 years!).

back in the days I always wanted to purchase a proteus sound module so I'm very interested in installing it in my new set-up.  however, I dont seem to be able to get this particular one to work - within Cakewalk by Bandlab it doesnt open, nor using it's own app.

My gut is telling me this is because I'm using windows 10 64 bits and this was designed for windows xp...  but since I was able to get many other vst instruments to work, I'm wondering if anyone had any tips on the matter?

error message i'm getting: "the fule ...\proteus x composer v2.0.1.exb is not a valid EOIS or Emulator X bank file".

not sure what that means or what I'm supposed to do with this - any help will be greatly appreciated!

Proteus VX is pretty old and 32 bit only. It's not very stable on modern systems.

If you want to have EMU sampler/sound module sounds and functionality then it's much better to get Emulator X3 from Digital Pro Audio Samples (https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.com/). Emulator X3 is fully 64bit, runs fine on modern OSes and DAW's and has full sampling/editing capability. The GUI is dated and small on modern systems but it is a very deep sampler synth ported from the EMU sampler OS.
No signature here!

Proteus VX have been giving me instant BSOD for ten years over 3 computers, 2 DAWs and with 3 different operating systems. I gave up! :lol: Something's just not meant to be :hihi:

thanks for the quick replies! I was mostly looking for the sound presets rather than the sampler, and currently looking for a free alternative since I recently invested quite a lot already for the set-up so I need to limit my spending for at least a few weeks hehe

i was still able to find a vast number of decent VST's out there, and purchased the very discounted M1 vst (presently 25$ USD) so I think I'm ok for a little while at least :-)

OperaG wrote:purchased the very discounted M1 vst (presently 25$ USD) so I think I'm ok for a little while at least :-)
that must be weird, taking a break for a couple of decades then coming back to find all the hardware synths you coveted are now available in software for (relatively) peanuts. :)
Last edited by GaryG on Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jbridger will make a 64 bit version of Proteus VX , and it will run and play in a 64bit daw. The trouble is that it has difficulty closing which makes it pretty unusable. Shame really as it is a great sounding instrument.

I was just listening to a song on Youtube made exclusively with this thing. Really nailed the sounds of the era.

So, here's the $64,000 question.

Is there a more modern product that has these same sounds? (Thinking of doing another retro project)

wagtunes wrote:I was just listening to a song on Youtube made exclusively with this thing. Really nailed the sounds of the era.

Is there a more modern product that has these same sounds? (Thinking of doing another retro project)
The ownership of many of the original EMU sound samples is in the hands of a company called Digital Sound Factory, who sell them in all sorts of sampler formats, like sfz. Theyve been packaged for Dimension Pro and the like.
These are the core sound samples, though, I think, so not exactly the same as the Emu presets.

DSF website seems to be being revamped at the moment, though, but some other companies appear to resell them too, eg Beatport....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

wagtunes wrote:I was just listening to a song on Youtube made exclusively with this thing. Really nailed the sounds of the era.

Emulator X3 is the big brother of Proteus VX. It is 64-bit and it comes with all the sounds Proteus Vx eventually had and some more.

Although the E-Mu samples are available for other platofrms, they don't sound the same, since the Proteus/Emulator have the patented Z-Plane filters, and a really deep architecture.

You can still buy Emulator X3 here: https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.com/ ... r-software
Fernando (FMR)

I also had issues with Proteus VX - it tended to involve Proteus spawning windows that required a yes / no or something but those windows remained stubbornly behind the main window. And of course it was 32bit.

I then got Emulator X3. It needs constant saving of the sound banks (even if you don't do anything with them). The sounds are very much of their time but you can get various Emulator libraries in Emulator format pretty cheap.

I think it then stopped working in one of the Cubase versions (instant crash), but just trying in 9.5 it seems to be working again. But the whole working / not working puts me off and as I tend to take a while over completing stuff that just doesn't work for me.

I had got some similar libraries in Kontakt format but to me they didn't sound as nice. I could be wrong but that was my impression.

I took a break for about 10 years just as the Steinberg MIDI sequencer stuff came in. I returned to discover that digital audio recording was really cheap and so were all these emulations of things like Mellotrons and Moog Modulars. Amazing.

btw if you are looking for old school sampler sounds and you don't want to then play those through Kontakt there is Sonic Charge's resurrection of the Yamaha sampler - that's free. I think it's a port of the Cyclone (or was it Typhoon) OS they wrote for it so like the EX it's playing it the samples via a vintage engine.

Another option would be the Tal Sampler but there aren't so many sounds for that - I use it to create my own sounds.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

fmr wrote:

Emulator X3 is the big brother of Proteus VX. It is 64-bit and it comes with all the sounds Proteus Vx eventually had and some more.

Although the E-Mu samples are available for other platofrms, they don't sound the same, since the Proteus/Emulator have the patented Z-Plane filters, and a really deep architecture.

You can still buy Emulator X3 here: https://www.digitalproaudiosamples.com/ ... r-software
Thanks, but from what I'm reading this sounds a little risky, especially as a Cubase user.

Shame, because I'm sure it sounds great if that's what you're looking for. And I guess at $50 it's a minor investment even if it turns out to give you some headaches or not work at all.

I'll have to think about it. Not ruling it out but not ready to dive headlong into a discontinued product.

ah, yes. I love the VX. But it's a... pain in the tuckus, yes. The only reason I use it is because I have all the soundbanks for it. But I truly wish they'd sell a new one that isn't such a pain to use.

The big magic tricks are : Using it in a 32bit Bridge mode, and saving whenever it asks. If like me you run several instruments on different midi channels into it, that's changing the setup. And when you want to hit play, the VST will want to be saved again, since it's been changed. Pick any name you want -- it doesn't matter. What matters is that you save it, because if you say NO or fail to save in a reasonable time, VX will screw up and die. And nothing short of shutting down to cold iron and bringing it back up again will make VX work once more (for me at least.)

Another problem you'll probably see is finding you cannot render the track using Reaper. Sometimes this happens to me and sometimes it does not. I have not found the reason why this happens. But my workaround is to render the offending tracks one at a time to stereo stem tracks and then mute the midi tracks. This always works well for me. It has an added benefit of also splitting the instruments apart so I can put different effects on each sound if I choose.

Just always save the Emulator file when it asks. Often this appears behind the DAW window, and you have to know to look for it. If you make a change to VX in any way, know that it'll want to save the new configuration before you play. Failing to do so will make it die in a flaming heap.

Return to “Instruments”