Is there a Guitar VST that can do actually decent rhythm guitar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

kanoharuayu wrote:Here's a basic rythme from a real guitar player I find hard to get realistic with VST
https://soundcloud.com/kake-guri/guitartrak
If you're trying to get something sounding like that with samples you're gonna have a bad time. I personally don't think the technology is quite there yet. You may be able to get away with something a bit more simple or buried in a dense mix.

Aloysius wrote:Buy some guitar loops.
+1 :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hire a guitar player, they are everywhere.

What about the technology changes the situation, exactly.

It's hard. You aren't going to get it unless you have an instrument which is designed well enough to and use its capabilities. The more nuance the more power you have to obtain, from the developer and then through your own work. There are things where it may not be worth the expenditure as what you want to get is too expressive or personal or there are things nobody is bothering sampling. A lack of TOUCH, possibly.

Personally I don't like virtual rhythm guitar for much and have preferred to use a rhythm guitarist. I was a guitarist but I was not much of a rhythm guitarist as a role, ever. I get what has to happen but the workflow is not really a flow, if you get my meaning. I'd rather have someone responding in real time for this role. Oddly I like programming drums where you'd think it's such a similar problem.

jancivil wrote:What about the technology changes the situation, exactly.

It's hard. You aren't going to get it unless you have an instrument which is designed well enough to and use its capabilities. The more nuance the more power you have to obtain, from the developer and then through your own work. There are things where it may not be worth the expenditure as what you want to get is too expressive or personal or there are things nobody is bothering sampling. A lack of TOUCH, possibly.

Personally I don't like virtual rhythm guitar for much and have preferred to use a rhythm guitarist. I was a guitarist but I was not much of a rhythm guitarist as a role, ever. I get what has to happen but the workflow is not really a flow, if you get my meaning. I'd rather have someone responding in real time for this role. Oddly I like programming drums where you'd think it's such a similar problem.
Its exactly the same challenge with every instrument. Some instruments may be easier to program/emulate than others. Some feel more "natural" to program than other. But its not only the programming, its the interface. What happens to the instrument when you change the interface? A professional concert bassoon player dispises even the idea of samples and playing his/her instrument with the keyboard. This concerns especially all the wind instruments, where the player uses every week hours for hand made, personal lips.

But for me many of the best sampled/modelled instrument, programmed via the keyboard/computer, sound so good, that its hard to tell the difference. (Take e.g. a recent purchase "Emotional Cello").

I play guitar, own several both electric and acoustic guitars, and absolutely love the that interface.
Nothing can really emulate that.
However, I don´t have anything in priciple against virtual guitar instruments. (Those are good e.g. in the nightime, when even strumming without the amp can disturb someone :wink: )

This is probably not the right place to get informed opinion on using a virtual instrument to 'mock up' a real instrument part.
Maybe here? https://vi-control.net/community/

For example, film score composers do it all the time. They obviously cannot afford to hire the orchestral musicians full time while they write and arrange a score. So they typically resort to very high end sample libraries, that also come with the same issues referenced earlier regarding the programming of guitar or drum parts. It takes a bit of skill to play a 'fake' violin, or oboe.

Only once the score is written and 'performed' on the computer for the film directors approval, a studio recording session is scheduled to capture the score being performed by a live professional orchestra.

So yes, virtual instruments can play an important role in the music creativity process. Some of them can even sound 'close' enough to be left in place for some purposes.

So in my opinion virtual instruments are very worthwhile for songwriting, or producing demo tracks. So in that sense are not a wasted expense, but can be a useful tool. But when you are going to publish your work, you may want to consider hiring real session musicians.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Orange Tree has another candidate out:
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/produ ... n-infinity
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

I don't do a lot of guitar strumming songs but this is one I did with Real LPC that I was very pleased with.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... /amp-it-up

grdh20 wrote:Orange Tree has another candidate out:
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/produ ... n-infinity
Impressive!

But I don't imagine that its strength lies in the rhythm guitar ability. Would make a nice companion to the Electric Sunburst however!

From the Orange Tree website:
As you can imagine, for a guitar that specializes in showstopper lead guitar solos, we were sure to sample everything from pinch harmonics and tapping to pick slides and other performance effects. We also recorded the legato articulations with four round-robin for realistic variation when playing fast trills.

zzz00m wrote:This is probably not the right place to get informed opinion on using a virtual instrument to 'mock up' a real instrument part.
Speak for yourself.

jancivil wrote:
zzz00m wrote:This is probably not the right place to get informed opinion on using a virtual instrument to 'mock up' a real instrument part.
Speak for yourself.
OK.

Lots of great guitar virtual instruments have already been mentioned, but here are two more excellent choices:

Prominy V-Metal sounds awesome for hard rock and metal (you need to provide your own amp simulator and FX):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f2QFbxZYns

Three-Body Technology's Heavier7Strings is nearly the complete package (it comes with its own guitar amp and FX which can produce wonderful clean tones as well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LMQj6RT6M
Last edited by tonedef71 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Progtronic is correct.The orange tree Rock standard is awesome.
Electri6ity may be the best at repeated sustained notes and chords,
Many guitar vsti's have difficulty doing repeated sustained notes and chords.

SugarBytes Guitarist is a pretty cool VST, but I think the rhythm guitar playing sounds too robotic, and the chugs lack a beefy low end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffxg-42hkA
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Whilst a lot of companies do a great job these days in sampling guitars and covering the various articulations, where most fall down is that they're too 'polite' (for want of a better term) in the programming. The geetar is a very physical instrument, and even a technically good player (let alone someone with a shoddy technique :clown: ) will accidentally mute notes/leave quite big gaps when changing chords/be wildly inconsistent in velocity and tempo even over a short period/bend the strings when playing chords and so on.. A lot of the sample libraries do include 'humanisation' features, but most of these seem to be more based on randomizing and adding various noises.

Don't get me wrong, I like faking guitar stuff (especially when I'm too lazy to play), and it can also add a dimension when used alongside recorded guitar, but if I'm doing something that's prominent then I'll usually record it. I don't think we're quite there yet in terms of realism. Getting better all the time though...

Return to “Instruments”