Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
hag01
KVRist
95 posts since 15 Feb, 2014

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 am

How accurate is Arturia emulation of the vintage hardware synths they try to emulate?

Having a DX7, a MiniMoog, a Jupiter 8, on my PC, is very tempting, but I want something that reasonably close to the real thing.

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3087 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 am

hag01 wrote:How accurate is Arturia emulation of the vintage hardware synths they try to emulate?

Having a DX7, a MiniMoog, a Jupiter 8, on my PC, is very tempting, but I want something that reasonably close to the real thing.
AFAIK is varies, depending on the synth: e.g. the DX7, Jupiter and Synclavier are pretty damn good ones, but you get better Moog emulation by buying the NI Monark or SA Legend.
But trust to your ears - does it have to be exactly as the hardware, if it sounds good?
And usability, additional features etc. are essential, too.

Personally, I´ve always wondered why the developer should repeat even the bad habits of some hardware. But the hardcore synth people are a special tribe (which I´m not).

Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1361 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 am

hag01 wrote:How accurate is Arturia emulation of the vintage hardware synths they try to emulate?
No.

fmr
KVRAF
8116 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
Yes :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

hag01
KVRist
95 posts since 15 Feb, 2014

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:31 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
What?

Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1361 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:31 am

fmr wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
Oh no :smack:

starflakeprj
KVRian
858 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:35 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
fmr wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
Kids!
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Arturia AudioFuse | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 4.1 | Reason 10.2 | Bitwig Studio 2.4 | Reaper 5.95 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20 | 460+ VSTs | 170+ Rack Extensions

fmr
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
fmr wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
Oh yes :box:
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
17693 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 am

fmr wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
No.
I'd throw in a diplomatic "maybe". :P

Kinh
KVRian
1151 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am

hmmm....it doesn't bloody matter!
if it sounds good enough to you then it is

fmr
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am

I think the question is: What is a DX7 to you? And a Minimoog? And a Jupiter-8?

Are those really what you want? Or are you mentioning them just because...

I'm sure there will be a handful of bashers coming here and saying that Arturia sucks, and they know nothing about emulations, patati, patata, and that (insert their favorite developer here) is the one to trust on the emulation matter.

That said. Regarding DX7, you really don't have that much alternatives. You have DX7 V and you have FM8, and you have DeXed. All of them are capable of importing and playing the original DX7 sounds. However, there are small differences between them. IMO, currently, the one that plays better the original sounds is DX7 V.

Regarding the Jupiter-8. Yes, the Roland Jupter-8 sounds better and has a stronger low end. But also taxes heavily the CPU. The Arturia Jup-8 V is much lighter, yet it is capable of very similar results to the Roland Jupiter-8, to the point they become virtually indistinguishable (I know, I am currently reproducing the sounds of one with the other). Both can reproduce very accurately basically all the sounds of the original hardware.

Regarding the Minimoog - I never had a real Mini. Therefore, I can't talk about the accuracy. It isn't even currently in my sought-after list of synths. It's a severely overrated synth, IMO. That said, I have several emulations (the only one I miss is the Synapse one, which is allegedly the best one, currently). All the others I have all have small peculiarities and idiosyncrasies. Which one is best? I don't know. I'm glad I have them all, but I would never buy any one of them on its own, right now.

That said, Arturia have also the SEM V, which is also a classic, and much more interesting that the Mini, IMO. And the Matrix-12 V, and the Prophet V. etc. And you have other kind of classics, like the Synclavier and the Fairlight. And modulars, like the Modular V and the Buchla Easel. Lots of alternatives to choose from.
Fernando (FMR)

murnau
KVRAF
5563 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from Arkham Asylum

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am

Of course you can find "better" emulations of certain synths but i don't think that many can hear any difference in the end.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

chk071
KVRAF
17693 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 am

If you're looking for a good Minimoog emu only, I'd check the KVR Sell & Buy forum, and get NI Monark. It's frequently going for 30-40 $ here, which is a total bargain for such a great great synth. If you're looking for a DX7 emu, you could take a look at the free Dexed synth, or at NI FM8. For A Jupiter-8 emu, you could look at u-he Diva. Arturia are not bad, but, I always miss a bit of beef and character in their stuff.

masterhiggins
KVRAF
1889 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am

Short answer: no

Long answer: hell no

AnX
KVRAF
3435 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 am

They are prob 65% accurate max.

Return to “Instruments”