Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
zzz00m
KVRian
1421 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Dasheesh wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:I like you machine working, you seem genuine, but if we are going to talk about Zimmerman and the crew (who do see posts here) we should get the record strait. What I understand happened with this soundtrack is that the studio wanted it to be a hit so they went looking for names. Zimmerman has done some fantastic futuristic scores... really good. Just look at his wiki page ...
Just to set the record straight, nobody named Zimmerman worked on the movie score. :D
Really? It’s my understanding that they had sound designers that handed it over to Zimmerman who made a bunch of stems who handed it over to a producer who put the thing together and handed it over to the movie engineer who put it to the movie... am I wrong about that? Maybe I should go read the articles posted but that was my impression.
Who is this Zimmerman guy? Never heard of him. :wink:

Hint: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001877/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr19
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
16186 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Zimmer. Hans Zimmer. :D

First I heard of Zimmer was an old Hollywood arranger who felt... a number of negative things about Zimmer. This opinion came up in a discussion of sound design vs composition in film. Which he believed was a degradation, the mixing of the two. And what fact I could get out of his strong dislike of HZ was he used to be a rock guitarist.

I don't go to movies and most of the music people really go for (or really don't?) by the guy I have not experienced. However, I was watching Man of Steel once on the TV and there in the climactic scenes was some music which made me stand up and take notice. It was still in the vein of high romantic or late romantic harmony but more modern. I had not noticed the music up til then, which upon repeated viewings tends to tell me it suited the picture and called no attention to itself, much. But I looked for the composer credits.

Then one may notice some vehement reaction to him at VSL Forums. A lot of it makes little sense. For instance there is a video where he discusses his modi operandi writing a song in one film. It was very much a guitar player's ways rather than a voice-leading maven educated and finished in school. It seemed naive, actually. But the song was fricken GORGEOUS and its entire existence in rebuttal to this dismissal, this whole attitude.

User avatar
Ed A.
KVRist
232 posts since 27 Jul, 2004 from Outer Bongolia

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:59 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:I like you machine working, you seem genuine, but if we are going to talk about Zimmerman and the crew (who do see posts here) we should get the record strait. What I understand happened with this soundtrack is that the studio wanted it to be a hit so they went looking for names. Zimmerman has done some fantastic futuristic scores... really good. Just look at his wiki page ...
Just to set the record straight, nobody named Zimmerman worked on the movie score. :D
Are you sure? I heard Bob Dylan was one of the audio crew. :wink:

machinesworking
KVRian
1336 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 pm

fmr wrote:
machinesworking wrote:When I was a kid I thought Ridely Scott was going to be one of the greatest directors ever, after Alien and Blade Runner, but nothing he's done since has come even remotely close. Some people have moments of genius, and his seemed to have been a period in the late 70's early 80's and that's it. He started in the advertising industry and pretty much everything else he's done reeks of that, visually on point, lifeless, painful attempts at depth, and horrible character development etc.
FWIW Ridley Scott has nothing to do with this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/ful ... t_ov_st_sm

He was the director of the original Blade Runner. And I liked several of his movies after Blade Runner.
Lol! completely forgot that, 2049 reminded me in many many ways of how Prometheus was ruined, same lack of actual content,horrible wooden characters, but visually stunning.

machinesworking
KVRian
1336 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 pm

jancivil wrote:Zimmer. Hans Zimmer. :D

First I heard of Zimmer was an old Hollywood arranger who felt... a number of negative things about Zimmer. This opinion came up in a discussion of sound design vs composition in film. Which he believed was a degradation, the mixing of the two. And what fact I could get out of his strong dislike of HZ was he used to be a rock guitarist.

I don't go to movies and most of the music people really go for (or really don't?) by the guy I have not experienced. However, I was watching Man of Steel once on the TV and there in the climactic scenes was some music which made me stand up and take notice. It was still in the vein of high romantic or late romantic harmony but more modern. I had not noticed the music up til then, which upon repeated viewings tends to tell me it suited the picture and called no attention to itself, much. But I looked for the composer credits.

Then one may notice some vehement reaction to him at VSL Forums. A lot of it makes little sense. For instance there is a video where he discusses his modi operandi writing a song in one film. It was very much a guitar player's ways rather than a voice-leading maven educated and finished in school. It seemed naive, actually. But the song was fricken GORGEOUS and its entire existence in rebuttal to this dismissal, this whole attitude.
Hmm? if this is a rebuttal to my statements, I'll say this, he's not bad. I don't like everything he does, and I do think he's overrated to a degree. I really liked his soundtrack to the Dark Knight, but not everything he's done has stood out to me. He's not Ennio Morricone, or as unique as Danny Elfmann but he has his moments.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 pm

No, his name is “the zimmerMAN”, and If this thread is turning into a Hollywood composer thread... I got two words. Thomas. Newman.

User avatar
Ed A.
KVRist
232 posts since 27 Jul, 2004 from Outer Bongolia

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm

I like his soundtrack for Interstellar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVtMYqUAyw

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
16186 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:00 pm

machinesworking wrote:
jancivil wrote:Zimmer. Hans Zimmer. :D

First I heard of Zimmer was an old Hollywood arranger who felt... a number of negative things about Zimmer. This opinion came up in a discussion of sound design vs composition in film. Which he believed was a degradation, the mixing of the two. And what fact I could get out of his strong dislike of HZ was he used to be a rock guitarist.

I don't go to movies and most of the music people really go for (or really don't?) by the guy I have not experienced. However, I was watching Man of Steel once on the TV and there in the climactic scenes was some music which made me stand up and take notice. It was still in the vein of high romantic or late romantic harmony but more modern. I had not noticed the music up til then, which upon repeated viewings tends to tell me it suited the picture and called no attention to itself, much. But I looked for the composer credits.

Then one may notice some vehement reaction to him at VSL Forums. A lot of it makes little sense. For instance there is a video where he discusses his modi operandi writing a song in one film. It was very much a guitar player's ways rather than a voice-leading maven educated and finished in school. It seemed naive, actually. But the song was fricken GORGEOUS and its entire existence in rebuttal to this dismissal, this whole attitude.
Hmm? if this is a rebuttal to my statements, I'll say this, he's not bad. I don't like everything he does, and I do think he's overrated to a degree. I really liked his soundtrack to the Dark Knight, but not everything he's done has stood out to me. He's not Ennio Morricone, or as unique as Danny Elfmann but he has his moments.
rebuttal? what needs rebuttal. It's just my take since it came up.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:09 pm

The Superman one was actually really quite good IMO. A perfect fit for him.

Meet Joe Black and Road to Perdition were flipping amazing though.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm

I mean... this is obviously a low rez playback... but come on... Jesus. Bring a grown man to tears why don't you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbaRiZJJQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS3FXKCxDL4

zzz00m
KVRian
1421 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Good one Zzzoom. I loved his Nemo soundtrack as well, but this ... oh swoooon.... one of his best IMO. This is what real soundtrack sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-7LIojfezw

cthonophonic
KVRist
165 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Dasheesh wrote:What I understand happened with this soundtrack is that the studio wanted it to be a hit so they went looking for names.

Johan Johansson, the composer they originally hired for the score, was fired three months before the release date, and Hans Zimmer was brought in, presumably because he was a known talent who could give them what they wanted on deadline. I recall hearing that Zimmer and his collaborator made a point of incorporating the CS-80 in order to keep a bit of Vangelis-like flavor, but it's only the slightest nod toward the original. That's fine, of course; there's no need to re-create the Vangelis vibe in a sequel. But like Rutger Hauer said when they asked for his thoughts on it, there's no reason the sequel needed to be made in the first place.

So yeah, to stay on topic here: Blade Runner 2049 is a very poor emulation of the original. It's monotonous and too loud, and nobody wanted it to begin with.

cthonophonic
KVRist
165 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 pm

For the longest time, I would get Thomas Newman mixed up with Randy Newman and Gary Numan. I'd see one the two Newmans' names roll past on the credits and think wow, he's come a long way since "Cars," huh?

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Is Arturia really an accurate emulation of the synths the try to emulate?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Yeah cthonophonic, I think I heard that before and forgot it, but you reminded me. It makes sense.

I don’t got nothing against ZimmerMAN or his sound designers... that soundtrack just wasn’t very good IMO. I guess my opinion doesn’t really matter though. Sorry if I came across arrogant. I tend to get carried away when I hear a TN track, and I am having difficulties going to the movies due to the sound tracks lately (especially the superhero ones). Guess I had a soup box.

Return to “Instruments”