Dead Developers - who are you missing?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
GaryG
KVRAF
5709 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:47 am

GaryG, a couple of bitchin' plugs in the Dev challenges then nothing...
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

User avatar
EDGEK8D
KVRist
115 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Chicagoland, USA

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 am

Stillwell Audio / Schwa

I almost forgot I had them, and recently fired up the old Rocket, Major Tom, and Bombadier compressors and Event Horizon limiter. These plugins are outstanding still. Bad Buss Mojo is another one that is really a great distortion unit. CMX is a micro pitch shifter a lot like Soundtoys but even more flexible. 1973 was the Neve EQ before there were ten different emulations. Even the Vibe EQ was the poor man’s pultec emu.

I still use Schope all the time, its been my main scope forever as you can feed it four different channels at once and freeze waveform.

Great developer, but TMK hasn’t released anything in years, and the last action was updating everything to 64-bit. Stillwell notoriously has fully functional demoes, so I think most people just use them for free, but I paid for the one’s I really liked.

Wish this guy would make some new stuff, obviously very talented. Does a great job at a modern take on a classic emulation. I’m going to start using these again. Especially the Rocket and Event Horizon, both dripping with character.
Logic Pro X : DSI MEK : ShruthiXT: Virus B : JX3P (Kiwi) : Minibrute : OB Matrix 6R : Roland Studio Capture : MOTU Micro Express : Senn HD600

Ben H
KVRAF
2023 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio
Not exactly dead, but dead to me.

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Iris 1 (not interested in V2), Padshop Pro, Samplemodeling SWAM and Zebra 2.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10796 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 am

Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio
Not exactly dead, but dead to me.

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
Actually, it's your loyalty I'm questioning :shrug:

Ben H
KVRAF
2023 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio
Not exactly dead, but dead to me.

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
Actually, it's your loyalty I'm questioning :shrug:
It's hard to be loyal when a company chooses to betray you.
My main tools: Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Iris 1 (not interested in V2), Padshop Pro, Samplemodeling SWAM and Zebra 2.

e-modic
KVRist
318 posts since 3 Nov, 2002

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 am

Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
Induljon a banzáj!

hardwired
KVRist
269 posts since 25 Oct, 2004

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 am

e-modic wrote:Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
He's very much alive. Name is now Michael Hartmann. Guess he got married and took her last name or something. Can't remember how that went.

Anyway, with how little that's been done since others have left Refx, maybe Michael Kleps isn't the coder many thought and perhaps rather an employer of coders. Not sure either way

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10796 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 am

Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio
Not exactly dead, but dead to me.

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
Actually, it's your loyalty I'm questioning :shrug:
It's hard to be loyal when a company chooses to betray you.
Entitled and Melodramatic! :tu:

User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8715 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am

e-modic wrote:Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
Wasnt there a major update to QuadraSid mentioned years ago that never transpired

Brittlestem
KVRAF
1547 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
e-modic wrote:Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
Wasnt there a major update to QuadraSid mentioned years ago that never transpired
And a freebie called Scout that never transpired.
And an update to Vanguard that never transpired.
And a resizable GUI for Nexus that never transpired/was withdrawn.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

machinesworking
KVRian
1336 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:23 pm

EDGEK8D wrote:Stillwell Audio / Schwa

I almost forgot I had them, and recently fired up the old Rocket, Major Tom, and Bombadier compressors and Event Horizon limiter. These plugins are outstanding still. Bad Buss Mojo is another one that is really a great distortion unit. CMX is a micro pitch shifter a lot like Soundtoys but even more flexible. 1973 was the Neve EQ before there were ten different emulations. Even the Vibe EQ was the poor man’s pultec emu.

I still use Schope all the time, its been my main scope forever as you can feed it four different channels at once and freeze waveform.

Great developer, but TMK hasn’t released anything in years, and the last action was updating everything to 64-bit. Stillwell notoriously has fully functional demoes, so I think most people just use them for free, but I paid for the one’s I really liked.

Wish this guy would make some new stuff, obviously very talented. Does a great job at a modern take on a classic emulation. I’m going to start using these again. Especially the Rocket and Event Horizon, both dripping with character.
He's one of the two main developers of Reaper. Probably why he hasn't done more than update his plug ins.

Ben H
KVRAF
2023 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:40 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
Actually, it's your loyalty I'm questioning :shrug:
It's hard to be loyal when a company chooses to betray you.
Entitled and Melodramatic! :tu:
Do you really think that a random forum member's opinion of me, matters to me?

I still stand by my original assertion about Camel Audio's behaviour.
My main tools: Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, Iris 1 (not interested in V2), Padshop Pro, Samplemodeling SWAM and Zebra 2.

e-modic
KVRist
318 posts since 3 Nov, 2002

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 am

hardwired wrote: He's very much alive. Name is now Michael Hartmann. Guess he got married and took her last name or something. Can't remember how that went.
yes, I know that he is alive. This is not a thread about dead developers dude. :D
hardwired wrote: Anyway, with how little that's been done since others have left Refx, maybe Michael Kleps isn't the coder many thought and perhaps rather an employer of coders. Not sure either way
He wasn´t an employee, he WAS reFX and he also did a job for Steinberg to code Xphraze. I once talked to him in person 14 years ago and he told me about his projects and coding. Cool guy, very visionary.
Induljon a banzáj!

Izak Synthiemental
KVRist
442 posts since 4 Aug, 2010

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 am

Maybe I misunderstood the thread, but this is about developers / plugin companies from the past that no longer appear to be actively developing audio plugins / DSP stuff any longer, right?

Because I cannot believe that no one mentioned Variety Of Sound / Bootsy? Or is it because this is the instruments section?

In other threads it has been suggested before, that hopefully he once again can join the Tokyo Dawn Labs team to release some of his genius plugins (like Thrillseeker VBL) under their modern, cross-platform framework.

I tried to use the original 32bit plugins in my 64bit DAW with JBridge, but JBridge couldn't handle them without glitches and bugginess.
http://soundcloud.com/samaritageto

Proper Education Always Corrects Errors

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1246 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Dead Developers - who are you missing?

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 am

e-modic wrote:Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
The person that coded 'vanguard , plasticz , etc is markus feil (working for refx) ...he has changed his name , he 's now markus Krause
He now has his own company 'Tone 2 ' .
Michael Kleps was the boss of refx (and probably some code ), markus feil the main coder ... REFX hasn't released anything significant after markus left .

IIRC xphraze was coded by wizoo ( now air tech ) for steinberg , the main coder was Paul Kellet , although I could be wrong about this one
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”