Help getting feedback with new VST installers

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
discoDSP
KVRAF
3870 posts since 18 Jul, 2002

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 am

Hi, I'm trying to do to the process of installing plug-ins better. Right now the installer asks for a single location, which is giving some reported issues with VST 32 and 64-bit paths.

Please give the installer below a try and give some feedback if possible. It asks for 32 and 64-bit path first, after trying to auto-detect them from Windows registry. There shouldn't be any 64-bit choices using 32-bit systems as well.

viewtopic.php?p=7032851#p7032851

Thanks,
George.
Last edited by discoDSP on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik
KVRAF
11779 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Help getting feedback with new VST installers

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 am

Tried the installer here on Win 10 Pro 64 bit. It asks for a 32 bit location (didn't find one here since I don't use 32 bit plugins) then asked for a 64 Bit location but recommended a Steinberg folder. I had to point it to my preferred location which is C:64 Bit Plugins. Then it asked if I wanted to install 32 bit, 64 and/or AAX versions. Works well here as it gives you the choice of locations and the option not to install versions you don't want or need. :)

By the way the R4 demo still says R3 on the GUI. Is that intended ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BrokenTrance
KVRist
257 posts since 25 Nov, 2010

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 am

Works here. Using 64 bit Win. It doesnt find the correct vsti folder, but for that to be the case i need to change it within the registry i think. But could it ask before what versions you want to install, then select folder(s).

discoDSP
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 am

Teksonik wrote:Tried the installer here on Win 10 Pro 64 bit. It asks for a 32 bit location (didn't find one here since I don't use 32 bit plugins) then asked for a 64 Bit location but recommended a Steinberg folder. I had to point it to my preferred location which is C:64 Bit Plugins. Then it asked if I wanted to install 32 bit, 64 and/or AAX versions. Works well here as it gives you the choice of locations and the option not to install versions you don't want or need. :)
Excellent thanks! 32 and 64-bit location is asked on 64-bit OS.
By the way the R4 demo still says R3 on the GUI. Is that intended ?
Nope :oops: will try to fix that.
BrokenTrance wrote:Works here. Using 64 bit Win. It doesnt find the correct vsti folder, but for that to be the case i need to change it within the registry i think. But could it ask before what versions you want to install, then select folder(s).
Thanks, I can make the installer write to the registry after the default VST folders have been set, but I'm not sure if that would be a welcome feature. Any opinions?

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:02 am

Just an update, I changed the default path for VST plugins in the Registry and this installer did find the new location (for the 64 bit version) when I ran it again. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

discoDSP
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 am

Teksonik wrote:Just an update, I changed the default path for VST plugins in the Registry and this installer did find the new location when I ran it again. :)
Nice, but the average user may not be able to do that. Maybe it's a good idea the update the registry using the installer?

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 am

Hmmmm I'm not sure whether the installer should change that reg entry or not. You'll have to see what others think about the issue. I think other installers do that as it seems to change over time. I always thought it was set when you install the first plugin on your system.

discoDSP
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:21 am

Yes, so what do you guys think about that? Should the installer set VST path registry after installation?

bob bobwood
KVRAF
1811 posts since 24 Apr, 2010 from Nottingham

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 am

No idea, but the 64bit version triggers a message "Waveform data not found" and after completing the scan it shows Discovery 64 bit is in error whereas the 32bit is fine. I rescanned several times with the same result. This was in 32bit version of FLStudio.

However when I scanned again in the 64bit version of FLStudio, it still shows as an error but actually loads and appears to work fine.

Also in FL12.5.165 there is no need to have different names for the plugin (like x86, x64, 32bit or in this case 64 (obviously they need to be in different folders) as FL can ID them and bring up the appropriate version (and selects vst3 over vst2 where available). Perhaps other DAWs work this way as well ?
A-Z of Plugins, etc updated 22.35 December 24th 2016 updating May 2018.

discoDSP
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 am

bob bobwood wrote:No idea, but the 64bit version triggers a message "Waveform data not found" and after completing the scan it shows Discovery 64 bit is in error whereas the 32bit is fine. I rescanned several times with the same result. This was in 32bit version of FLStudio.
The 64-bit issues should be fixed now. I have uploaded a new installer without VC 2010 redistributable making it a lot smaller.

viewtopic.php?p=7032851#p7032851
Last edited by discoDSP on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:37 am

So, your installer will make changes to my Registry if I understand that correctly...

I'm, sorry, I would like to help you out but that would be a no go for me personally. I can see problems with your installer changing the registry and screwing up my set up. Would this affect other plugin's and other DAW pointers ETC? My set up is very basic, but some peoples is quite intensive spread out over multiple drives ETC. Also, I know you are a trusted and good vendor, but this could be used in nefarious ways, and people get a creepy feeling when you go into their registry and start changing things. There is a lot to consider here as there is back lash against vendors like ILOK for doing the same kinds of stuff. What if EVERYONE starts rewriting your registry to install their plugs and they all rewrite somewhere different? What kids of conflicts and resource lag does this generate?

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2819 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:40 am

Also, good to see you back. In good spirits and all's well I hope.

discoDSP
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:42 am

Dasheesh wrote:So, your installer will make changes to my Registry if I understand that correctly...
No, not right now, even the latest one. It only checks the registry to set the VST2 32 and 64 bit folders. We are discussing about that but it's not implemented.
Dasheesh wrote:Also, good to see you back. In good spirits and all's well I hope.

ENV1
KVRAF
2386 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:43 am

discoDSP wrote:Yes, so what do you guys think about that? Should the installer set VST path registry after installation?
Absolutely no.

(At least not silently/automatically.)

That path is supposed to be a permanent thing, so if every installer changed it there would be chaos and the user would be forced to revert the changes manually. (After all you dont necessarily always install into your actual VSTPlugins dir, if you just want to test/try stuff you might install it in a totally different location which might not even be on the same volume.)

If you want to implement such a feature in your installer then IMO you should do it like this:

Method 1
- Query registry for existence of default VST location

- If key already exists and path is already specified, prompt user:
Make selected install location the new default VST location?

- If key does not exist or no path is specified, prompt user:
Make selected install location the default VST location?

Method 2
- Query registry for existence of default VST location

- If key already exists and path is already specified, have a checkbox:
Make selected install location the new default VST location?

- If key does not exist or no path is specified, have a checkbox:
Make selected install location the default VST location?

That way the user can decide for himself, so that if a path already exists it will only be updated/overwritten if they really wish to do so.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:30 am

The Reg key already exists unless it's the first time you've installed a VST plugin (Windows 10)
Vst path 031018.png
I know when I installed Z3TA+2 recently the value was changed to C:Cakewalk or whatever the path was so some installers do make that change.

As long as the installer allows you to pick a custom location after first reading the registry value I think that would be enough. There is really no need for an installer to write a new reg value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”