Serum: is eff'n deep

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the first time I've really looked at serum from a programing pov and I cannot figure out how to control the depth of anything except bloody effects. LFO's got rate, rise, delay, smooth and that's it. Is there something I'm missing? How do I control the LFO depth for Christ sakes??
Looked at the matrix and the only thing the mod wheel can move for example is it's rate.
From what I gather seems to be the preferred synth for future bass.
for those who use it for bass music, do you do all your hard core modulation in your daw ?

I'm not having a go at it or anything, it's got the right sound I'm-a-lookin' for, just a bit confused. I thought it could do more.
Last edited by Kinh on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey man right there with ya. Hard to learn new synths and all that.

So lfo depth you control by amount in the matrix cus it's a relationship between source and destination. Simple as that! Signal goes from the source, amount is depth of that signal and that goes to the destination. Now the aux source don't have that amount control right? So you gotta change depth from your aux source lfo by moving the spline control handles toward the center line. Or the bottom line I forget. Either the center or bottom line is 0, dunno how it is in serum rn I'm not home to check.

Now to modulate amount and all that shit you gotta control it outside serum with midi learn. Cus I'm usin cubase for most things I got cable guys midishaper and later on picked up dialog audio's modulation processor 3244 for that kinda thing. Look into that it's good shit.

As far as amount of modulation goes
You can change the
1.control slider of modulation in the matrix. it Control the amount of modulation sent to the destination parameters.

2.lowerdown the peak and bring lower points near to the middle to control the amount of modulation more

And plus you can assign two ore more lfo on single parameter foe some more complex i think it is complex more than enough

And nope you are not missing anything in the serums lfo it more than enough

As far as bass goes
I make bass oreiented industrial /dubstep style music
And for my bass serum is good but i feel zebra (purchased it rencetly)and sytrus(sometimes harmour) are near god tier for bass but post processing is where the main magic happens for bass stuff
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

people seem to love it... and it DOES sound pretty aggressive but i have demo'd and i was not that impressed... not for the price. not knocking it but only my opinion and i am guitarist at heart and just now getting into synths in my old age so my word don't mean much lol but i have to agree it is not all that AND a bag of chips cheers

p.s. but i will say it is nice of Xfer to do the rent to own thing to help folks :tu:
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Yea the big deal bout serum is the wavetable thing. For most cats it's a new massive and not much else and that's enough to get hype ahahaha

Thanks guys. I assumed you couldn't control the slider in the matrix.

Serum is a pretty eff'n awesome synth and it's good to see they fixed the cpu spikes.
I probably should've titled this thread different, now everyone's probably thinkin' it's shit.
Well it aint.

I highly recommend this to any future bass guy. Has probably the best commercial sound than any synth I gotst. Shiiit!

This is all Serum except for the bass.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/simons-serum

It don't? :smack:

Kinh wrote:I thought it could do more.
Youtube is your friend. You are missing a lot. A whole lot. Nearly every parameter can be modulated, and the depth can also be adjusted without touching the mod matrix. There's an icon next to every control to adjust the depth.

The envelope slopes are fully editable.

The LFOs shape is entirely editable, and can even be turned into an MSEG or a stepper, or even a one-hit custom envelope with a crazy shape. Right-click an LFO point, and you can set start and loop-back points. Hold down shift while editing an LFO, and discover a fast way to create a stepper.

The filter selection is insane.

Learn the mod matrix, and you gain far more control by allowing one modulator to limit or expand another. Use the macro dials and you gain excellent performance control.

You have a sampler engine hidden under noise.

The OSC wavetable editor is amazing, and can generate waveforms with formulas. Look at the osc mod control (bottom row, second dial) and you will find many ways to manipulate/modulate a waveform shape, including drawing your own shaper (remap).

Right-click everything and you'll find a lot of usability enhancements. Lots more with modifier keys.

My only real complaint with Serum is that it's filter keyboard tracking is either all on or all off.

My only chief complaint with serum is that it has 2 OSC. Maybe in a future update we’ll see it expanded to 3 or 4?
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:My only chief complaint with serum is that it has 2 OSC. Maybe in a future update we’ll see it expanded to 3 or 4?
It's technically a 3 OSC synth, counting the sub-oscillator.

I consider the existing synth feature-complete as-is except for the keyboard tracking. For a 2.0 version I would love to see more OSCs, Envelopes, LFOs, and at least 2 filters. An Osc drift mode. Filter feedback options, perhaps on a new analog-modeled filter. More macro knobs or an X/Y section. Or just move to a layering system (but probably not).

teilo wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:My only chief complaint with serum is that it has 2 OSC. Maybe in a future update we’ll see it expanded to 3 or 4?
It's technically a 3 OSC synth, counting the sub-oscillator.

I consider the existing synth feature-complete as-is except for the keyboard tracking. For a 2.0 version I would love to see more OSCs, Envelopes, LFOs, and at least 2 filters. An Osc drift mode. Filter feedback options, perhaps on a new analog-modeled filter. More macro knobs or an X/Y section. Or just move to a layering system (but probably not).
and add support for Breath and Expression controllers...

plus MPE support

Return to “Instruments”