"Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

so I'm searching for a quite "dirty" analog sounding Synth.
What I mean with dirty is a serving of nice "randomness" in the overall behaviour of the synth.

Three good examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17dGVC13mFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdStf7tc-KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6siiUPL5lY4 - That tuning at 1:37! :hyper:

Obviously, I'm searching for that "raw and dirty" sound of the Sub 37.
I just love how open and simultaneusly tight the filters can feel, especially when played in duo mode.

The closest I get to that kind of sound is with "The Legend" from Synapse Audio - In fact, I'm quite statisfied with the sound itself but it's lacking a few features and sill a bit of bite I would like to have. I mean there are workarounds like external sequencers and overdrives but still.
Are there any other VSTs that get close to the features and overall sound of a sub37?

Competitors until now:
- The Legend (current favorite)
- NI Monark (dirty but not warm enough in my opinion)
- U-He Diva (Too much CPU - Usage :/ )
- TAL U-NO-LX (Still have to try but seems inferior to the others regarding the sound itself)

Of course no VST will get it absolutely right but I just dig the sound of the sub 37 and since I'm rather broke I would like to know if there are VST's that can get close.

Cheers

M4lte
Squisch

stop racking your brain. get a good tube saturation plugin to get the
warm dirty sound you are looking for. even with "inferior" free synths
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

- ImpOSCar has a nice dirty filter, it may get what you want (although I suspect its character might not quite match, it's worth a try)

- LittleOne is a Little Phatty emu with a great sound and some nice bite to the filter

- Xils 3/4 has some good grit to the filter as well

Some suggestions...
A well-behaved signature.

^ word to what layzer said

but if you're after dirty and bite, then Bazille.
You're talking about a soft synth, so 'analog' or not, it's all ones and zeros.
Bazille is so overlooked it's not even mildly humorous. It's so awesome. and dirty, with bite.

Well... I might get slammed here, because it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of love 'round these parts, but I find AIR's Vacuum Pro to be very useful for that type of stuff.
It's not an emulation of any particular hardware AFAIK, but does really nail that general vibe IMHO.

If you look around, it's always on sale somewhere for between $1 and $39, but if you can score a back issue of Computer Music magazine from January there was a code to redeem and download a free copy.

The only downside is it does use iLok, and I know that's a put off for a lot of folks, but you don't need the USB dongle and you can authorize on your computer with iLok software only.

- Jay

Tyrell n6 by Uhe can sound a lot like the examples you posted. It has a duo mode and the filter can get very dirty as you increase the resonance. It has a lot of cool and somewhat hidden features that allow you to go very deep if you want (deeper than it appears on the surface). You can also keep it very simple and get some nice analog style sounds.

^ Good call, yes Tyrell is great for gritty analog.
A well-behaved signature.

That’s a tough one, not quite matched in software. Closest I think is probably Reaktor 6 Blocks, which you can put together something close and can do duophonic mode with a couple of note inputs set to highest and lowest note priority.

Bazille isn’t a bad suggestion but it doesn’t quite have the body of a Moog. Worth getting BazilleCM anyways for a few dollars with computer music. It has two oscs and duo mode like the sub 37.

I feel there is more going on there than just some dirty filters.

Yes Bazille as suggested. Also have heard good things about Dagger by Beep Street.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Actually ACE sounds dirtier and more analog than bazille imo. Viking vk-1 is a very gritty voyager rack emu.

Yes vk 1 is quite dirty sounding
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Saurus is one of my favorites.
I will try to post an example later today.
Last edited by Examigan on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also find A Synth by aanti from smartelectronix to be quite dirty. It has 3 different filters based on moog, xpander and ms20.

http://antti.smartelectronix.com

Bug Music wrote:Well... I might get slammed here, because it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of love 'round these parts, but I find AIR's Vacuum Pro to be very useful for that type of stuff.
This. Regardless of how authentic this whole tube thing is in Vacuum Pro, it can get very dirty very easly. Sounds great and can be found cheap (AIR stuff seems to be on constant sale).
layzer wrote:stop racking your brain. get a good tube saturation plugin to get the
warm dirty sound you are looking for. even with "inferior" free synths
Also this. Throw Klanghelm's SDRR in tube mode, max LF response, a bit of drive after your synth and your bass grows some big, dirty and hairy balls instantly.
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

Return to “Instruments”