"Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
M4lte
KVRer
29 posts since 6 Jun, 2013 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am

So I had a little bit of time today and I decided to give you guys an example of the sounds I create with the described workchain.
I used two instaces of The Legend (one for the lower part and one for the upper harmonics which fade in here and there), one instance of The Drop and one instance of SDRR to give it some final warmness and edge.
Both instances of Legend are played in Poly-mode over my master keyboard to imitate the Sub37 Duophonic Mode - So everything you hear is based on two notes at a time.
I also used one instance of the free Reverb Orilriver and a little Delay on the upper harmonics is coming from the free NastyDLA.
I additionally used the free Nova EQ to Highpass at 15 Hz and Lowpass at 22 kHz - just for good measure.
Finally I used the ableton limiter to keep control of the last part of the soundexample which gets quite wild.
Except that, all you hear comes mainly from The Legend and The Drop.

No need to say that I've made heavy use of automations all over the place.
It's not too musical but shows what kind of sound I want to achieve.
I hope you enjoy this crazy synth madness :)

https://soundcloud.com/m4lte-1/legend-p ... op/s-Un4Lp
Squisch

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12001 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: "Dirty" Synth like Sub 37

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:20 pm

With all the effects and automation, you might as well use any decent synth...

Yes, that's the problem with bombastic sounds, not very musical...

wagtunes
KVRAF
13253 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm

M4lte wrote:So I had a little bit of time today and I decided to give you guys an example of the sounds I create with the described workchain.
I used two instaces of The Legend (one for the lower part and one for the upper harmonics which fade in here and there), one instance of The Drop and one instance of SDRR to give it some final warmness and edge.
Both instances of Legend are played in Poly-mode over my master keyboard to imitate the Sub37 Duophonic Mode - So everything you hear is based on two notes at a time.
I also used one instance of the free Reverb Orilriver and a little Delay on the upper harmonics is coming from the free NastyDLA.
I additionally used the free Nova EQ to Highpass at 15 Hz and Lowpass at 22 kHz - just for good measure.
Finally I used the ableton limiter to keep control of the last part of the soundexample which gets quite wild.

Just goes to show what you can do with a synth and a mess of FX. Had you not told us what this was, I would have guessed it was some modular hardware setup.

I'm impressed.

M4lte
KVRer

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:With all the effects and automation, you might as well use any decent synth...

Yes, that's the problem with bombastic sounds, not very musical...
There aren't too much effects really, the main portion of the sound belongs to Legends oscillators and detune. And I wouldn't call layering two instances of synthesizers "effect".
The only "audible" effect besides The Drop as a modulated Filter is the reverb - the delay is rather subtle.
And the reverb is more or less the icing on the cake - the sound itself would do fine without it.
SDRR was used to add a bit saturation - not needed really but wanted to incorporate it because I just bought it.
And instead of The Drop I could have used the Filter Section and Filter Drive of The Legend - with alike sounding effects.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't replicate the weight and body of the sound with Zebra or Massive without throwing significant more time and effects on there (especially compression and EQ).
So I don't think I could use "any" decent synth to get similar results quite easily.
But the main point is: I'm able to create big and dirty sounds quite easy with that setup and achieve the sound I desire. So that's the single most important point to me - and I'm quite happy about that :)

Some parts of the example are indeed musical imo and could quite easily be incorporated in a real track.
For example the part at 3:12 could be used as the big finale of an interlude of a progressive or melodic techno track :hyper:
Squisch

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Sorry, hadn't made it to 3:12 :hihi:

M4lte
KVRer

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Sorry, hadn't made it to 3:12 :hihi:
Really can't figure if you're sarcastic right now :neutral:

Anyways: yeah, the amount of modulation is a bit crazy but I love a lot of modulation and automation.

If you're interested you can compare the soundexample to the last track I finished:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_52rGCplps

The part at 5:46 and onwards is heavily automated as well - Filter, Detune, Resonance you name it.
It was made with the TAL Noisemaker and the inbuild filter :D
Squisch

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

While it is not my type of music, you sure have skills, pretty cool what you did with Noizemaker there :tu:

Julien Unison
KVRist
324 posts since 9 Oct, 2006

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 pm

M4lte wrote:So I had a little bit of time today and I decided to give you guys an example of the sounds I create with the described workchain.

WOW ! This is stunning and brilliant ! I really love this ! :hyper: :love: :o
And your track Pulse is really super good too ! :tu:
U N I S O N : shoegaze / electronic / black metal wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9291 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm

It’s not an analog emulation at all (though can be used as one), but one of the best sounding internal distortions out there is MPowersynth. The drive sounds fantastic.

Legend also does some really nice things when you engage the feedback.

Olga is pretty nice too.

The hands down software winner has to be RePro.

That said, get the Moog. Even the cheaper Sub Phatty has a fantastic drive sound. Distortion is something that I don’t think gets done totally correct by any software plugin. It always seems to be the place where you’ll hear the aliasing that kills the illusion that you’re using an analog instrument. I make sure all my hardware analogs have it built in. The Moog is great, but the Boomstars are also fantastic, the Minibrute is good, Bass Station 2 is good (and you can set it to feedback by putting the headphone out into the audio in) and the DSI stuff with distortion and feedback is all very good.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

virtualpt
KVRist
138 posts since 26 Feb, 2016

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm

M4lte wrote: If you're interested you can compare the soundexample to the last track I finished:
Top tune! Love it :)

M4lte
KVRer

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for the Kudos guys, glad you enjoy it :)
Squisch

M4lte
KVRer

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

zerocrossing wrote: Distortion is something that I don’t think gets done totally correct by any software plugin.
While being basically on your side (I still believe Hardware is the real deal for absolute top quality sound design in most cases at the moment) it all comes down to preferences at the end of the day.
That said I believe there is software which recreates the nonlinearities hardware usually is loved for to an extent where it gets virtually impossible to distinguish software from hardware.

As you said Legend and Repro do an excellent job at this. I'd like to add The Drop - everything I send through that filter and it's different drive algortihms instantly becomes an earpleaser and very unpredictable and raw (in a good way - happy nonlinearities I guess) - even a simple saw wave.
The resonance modelling is absolutely top notch as well - no unpleasent ringing or suddenly noise and while being matter of taste I LOVE that high resonance above 500 Hz doesn't kill the low end.
Squisch

Return to “Instruments”