One Synth Challenge #110: JuceOPLVSTi by Bruce Sutherland (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

schiing wrote:Upon repeated listening, I had to edit my post and ditch my original entry. Too silly, and frankly a bit of a hotchpotch. Posting on Friday the 13th wasn't such a good idea, after all. But I've got a new one in the works - almost finished! :hihi:
OK ... can I have your brass from the last track please???? :D :hihi: It was very good! :tu:
dB

Thanks, my good man! And you certainly can, doctorbob!

Were you thinking about the lead hits in the first section or the pumping chords in the chorus?

The lead is a combo of three or four patches, and the pumping chords are two different patches panned hard left and right - but that's not a problem - I can give you some volume settings for the lead, so you'll get the balance right :)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thanks. :tu: Don't need to PM you, you already have my number! :hihi: it was those hits near the beginning. Fab! :clap:

I used 4 different voices, midipolyphony to separate out the individual voices, then an instance each, programmed up to be a horn section ... not good in my opinion. :( If you listen again, you can hear them on the left tooting a bit, but need to be sharper and more brassy! :phones:

Cheers,

dB

Peter:H is bored...Started today at 2 o'clock with a new WiP. Here's the results...
Which WiP would you finish if you were me - the new one or the other posted a few days ago?
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/lies ... ty/s-PXJL4

TIMING PROBLEMS --

Hi -- has anyone else using Logic Pro X experienced timing problems? I have a couple of pulses going and to say they're funky would be a understatement. Same with layering for drums -- the synth seems to trigger slightly all over the place. I could "embrace" it and call my piece "The Drunken Sailor" but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

Updated my track and added the details. Still have to consolidate the reverbs!

New "brass" section c/o Terje - thanks :tu: , but modified the patches too. :hihi:

Also pulled back the brushed snare - perhaps the brushed hats are too high now??? need to listen tomorrow.

Cheers all,

dB

[Edit: Well, well, well, I changed my mind again and went back to my first submission. So please disregard this one - or meditate to it!]

Well, I'm trying again, totally different approach this time. Namaste, perhaps?? And may the patience be with you, the reward is (hopefully) in the details - here's my new submission for the April challenge.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/breakfast-in-the-sky

10 instances of JuceOPL, all sounds from scratch.

Efx: Pro EQ, TAL Reverb 4, BootEQmkII, TDR VOS SlickEQ, Limiter6
Last edited by schiing on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Peter - a very surprising change! I like the slow attack polysynth sound 20 seconds onwards - it was always used for good pumping chords. The bass is good. The change at 1:03 is great, sounded like it was going to be a nice overdrive guitar - great distorted overtones you got I those delayed chords - so go for a solo there and let the percussionist in you go mad! A little more variation in the lead melody in the first minute of course would help it along - lovely clear bell/keys sound.

I for one would like to hear how this one pans out (no pun intended!).

Go for it! :tu:

dB

ontrackp wrote:TIMING PROBLEMS --

Hi -- has anyone else using Logic Pro X experienced timing problems? I have a couple of pulses going and to say they're funky would be a understatement. Same with layering for drums -- the synth seems to trigger slightly all over the place. I could "embrace" it and call my piece "The Drunken Sailor" but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.
Not sure, but my observation is that if release is to long and the synth has to steal voices then timing issues do occure. I've tried two approaches: a.) shorten the patches release times and b.) split one track into two and play for instance chords distributed of those two. Idea is to prevent "stealing". The voice usage display is rather helpful with this. If you see all 8 slots used up, then you probably should do something...

] Peter:H [ wrote:

Thanks.
Not sure, but my observation is that if release is to long and the synth has to steal voices then timing issues do occure. I've tried two approaches: a.) shorten the patches release times and b.) split one track into two and play for instance chords distributed of those two. Idea is to prevent "stealing". The voice usage display is rather helpful with this. If you see all 8 slots used up, then you probably should do something...
No timing problems here, but that's almost certainly the same reason I got clicks with my new quiet track. I didn't want to compromise on the release times, so I had to distribute the chords across multiple tracks. That did the trick.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Not sure, but my observation is that if release is to long and the synth has to steal voices then timing issues do occure. I've tried two approaches: a.) shorten the patches release times and b.) split one track into two and play for instance chords distributed of those two. Idea is to prevent "stealing". The voice usage display is rather helpful with this. If you see all 8 slots used up, then you probably should do something...
Yup, I saw this too - I also got some nasty distortions as well when it wasn't coping. I did the same, just used midiPolyphony to distribute the notes to more than one instance. Then note stealing wasn't an issue and the nasty sounds went away too, even though some notes got pushed to instances which were still playing.

Percussions for me are all layers of single instances.

dB

] Peter:H [ wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks -- unfortunately that's not it. There are two mono tracks, each one using just one voice with no release on either of the oscillators. It's happened with a few tracks.

schiing wrote:Upon repeated listening, I had to edit my post and ditch my original entry. Too silly, and frankly a bit of a hotchpotch. Posting on Friday the 13th wasn't such a good idea, after all. But I've got a new one in the works - almost finished! :hihi:
Many times I made this mistake:). Before uploading a track I usually try to take a break for a couple of days and then listen to it with a fresh ear.

asi4 wrote:
Many times I made this mistake:). Before uploading a track I usually try to take a break for a couple of days and then listen to it with a fresh ear.
Yeah, it's funny how that works. I have to thank you, though, because when you posted your excellent track right after mine, I immediately realized what an amateurish mess mine was. :lol:

Hello,

First timer here. Just a simple track. Please tell me if my submission is missing something! I'm nore sure if this is a WIP or final version yet.

https://soundcloud.com/too86/noobs-techno

Edit: I changed the song a bit few days ago, need to update my instance numbers.
Edit2: updated instance numbers

Using Ableton Live 10

13 x JuceOPLVSTi

9 x TAL-Reverb 4
1 x TAL-Filter 2

13 x EQ 8
10 x Compressor
3 x Utility
2 x Auto pan
1 x Echo
1 x Simple Delay
1 x Gate
1 x Multiband dynamics
1 x Glue compressor
1 x Limiter
Last edited by Too86 on Tue May 01, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”