TAL Mod

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Mod The Shining Stars Soundset

Yes, envelope sweetspot sums up what I mean.
Currently they remind me of the Dune 2 envelopes, which I don't like. If I remember correctly. nothing much happens below 12 o'clock, so the settings that matter have to share a much smaller share of the scale.

Here is a presets for Tal-Mod that give an example of how sweet the filters sound (not to mention the reverb):

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... or-tal-mod

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Cinebient wrote:So is there a way to have a different mono retrigger setting?
It seems some synths do it different or offer 2 ways if i use presets with velocity sensitive events.
F.e. i have the filter cutoff assigned to be controlled by velocity and i want to hot a soft value and hold the note and then trigger a new note with higher velocity etc.
If i now hit the first note with a velocity of 20 and the second to 110 or so to open the filter, when i release the second note and the first get retriggered now it seems to have also a velocity of 110 instead of 20.
It seems that synths have either this or the other option and seldom both.
Is there a way to have a choice or is it fixed always?
I actually like it the way it is in Mod. It sounds more natural than the huge cutoff jumps between two consecutive notes caused by vastly different velocity values on other synths.
I agree that it can be more useful sometimes.
So i would like to have both.
It seems i was wrong and none of my synths have both options.
Most seems to retrigger the velocity value of the first note and only a few retriggers always with the latest value like Tal-Mod, Dune 2 and P900 f.e.
To have different mono retrigger modes in one synth would be great.
Some even jump in legato mode which is really odd.

Was just playing around with a pad I made. While the filters sound excellent, again I don't like the envelopes. At the end of the release tail the sound simply seems to die off pretty fast.
Also, the envelopes seem to completely retrigger when playing the same note again. You can hear the bump that causes with the pad by playing a chord and then softly playing the same chord again while the first one is still playing.
https://app.box.com/s/ztagycuumk8afypjf7pbotg9498yyv4u

But you have a mod envelope you can shape like you want.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, envelope sweetspot sums up what I mean.
Currently they remind me of the Dune 2 envelopes, which I don't like. If I remember correctly. nothing much happens below 12 o'clock, so the settings that matter have to share a much smaller share of the scale.
But you know it has MSEG also....

But why would I waste that one mod env when there are dedicated filter and amp envelopes?

fluffy_little_something wrote:But why would I waste that one mod env when there are dedicated filter and amp envelopes?
Because they won´t do what you like :wink:
And i also don´t like many "fixed" envelopes. They always lack something for me.
There are maybe 4 synths where i really love them and 1 which stands out for me.
But that´s also a matter of taste i guess.
Of course a curve setting for the "normal" envelopes would be great.
At best a dozen mod envelopes like the Cableguys stuff offer and modulations of parts of parts of the envelopes etc. (like Omnisphere f.e.).
I love envelopes :D

Cinebient wrote:
...and you can use those to mod each part of the 'normal' envs (both standard and recently added analogue ones)

A few ppl have bitched about D2 envs for a while, but never has a single one put up a preset or audio file as an example. This leads one to conclude it's user error.

I know it is unlikely to happen, but it would be nice to have a mod env preset system.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

AnX wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
...and you can use those to mod each part of the 'normal' envs (both standard and recently added analogue ones)

A few ppl have bitched about D2 envs for a while, but never has a single one put up a preset or audio file as an example. This leads one to conclude it's user error.
One can't hear the operation of the sliders. I did not say it is impossible to set the right value, only that the scaling is odd, which makes it more difficult to dial in the right times.
I do not remember whether the Dune 2 envelopes also end rather abruptly (which is a completely different issue), one sure could post an example of that if it were the case.

Yes to more advanced envelopes , curves for decay phase , loopable perhaps .
And triplet mode for the sequencer , and a lower speed then 1/4
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

AnX wrote: A few ppl have bitched about D2 envs for a while, but never has a single one put up a preset or audio file as an example. This leads one to conclude it's user error.
On the other hand, Richard introduced the analog style envelopes due to people bitching over Dune 2's envelope, so, i figure he did get what people don't like about them.

Actually, it's not quite easy to put my finger on it. Before the analog envelopes were introduced, they sort of behaved like the ones in Dune 1. Where the envelopes in other synths don't seem to close off so harshly, the ones in Dune 2 just cut off the sound, when you dial in, like, 50% off filter envelope decay, and very little sustain. That also leads to a lack of bass, and just doesn't sound organic. This has become better with the analog envelopes, but, it's still audible IMO. Download the Spire demo, and compare how the envelopes behave. It's really difficult to explain, but, there's definitely a difference in the way the envelopes behave.

It might also depend on what a synth is made for. I doubt Mod was designed to be a pad machine. For percussive sounds, leads and synth basses, or sounds with crazy modulations, Mod's envelopes might be ok.

chk071 wrote:
AnX wrote: A few ppl have bitched about D2 envs for a while, but never has a single one put up a preset or audio file as an example. This leads one to conclude it's user error.
On the other hand, Richard introduced the analog style envelopes due to people bitching over Dune 2's envelope, so, i figure he did get what people don't like about them.

Actually, it's not quite easy to put my finger on it. Before the analog envelopes were introduced, they sort of behaved like the ones in Dune 1. Where the envelopes in other synths don't seem to close off so harshly, the ones in Dune 2 just cut off the sound, when you dial in, like, 50% off filter envelope decay, and very little sustain. That also leads to a lack of bass, and just doesn't sound organic. This has become better with the analog envelopes, but, it's still audible IMO. Download the Spire demo, and compare how the envelopes behave. It's really difficult to explain, but, there's definitely a difference in the way the envelopes behave.
That might be true. My favorite are still the ones now in Model D app. Not sure what magic they did but it almost sounds always snappy, musical or just bite.
Repro is nice too. The Legend is O.K. but it lacks quite a bit as well (but a bit better than Dune 2 for me too).
I think it´s also important how it all works together and a high quality filter is important too.
Tal-Mod filter is indeed nice but....mmhhhh....just nice.

Return to “Instruments”