Baroque music pitch

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
TOMOKONY
KVRer
1 posts since 10 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

I would like to buy a digital keyboard. It should be able to transpose semitone. I play the Baroque Music. Then, A is 415hz not 440. It means a semitone lower than the normal. My Yamaha Piaggero can't transpose from the normal pitch to the Baroque pitch. Hope some some one let me know the keyboard like this.

Thanks.
T.

Armagibbon
KVRian
695 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Re: Baroque music pitch

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 pm

You take a look at casio privia or kawaii es yet? Might do what you need. I got a kawaii mp and its got semitone transpose...

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4640 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Does the Piaggero you have not have a transpose function. A quick search showed a number of models can use the transpose function to move everything down a semitone and you can then fine tune from there.

teilo
KVRist
244 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Post Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 am

Keep in mind that if you are playing Baroque music, you probably want a keyboard that also supports alternative temperaments, at least if you are intending on playing keyboard instrument repertoire (organ or harpsichord).

If all you are after is Equal temperament at A415, all but the cheapest keyboards have a transpose feature. Every current Yamaha Piaggero model supports transposing by at least ±6 semitones. But more than that, even the cheapest model (the NP-12) can be tuned from 414.8 - 466.8 in 0.2Hz increments.

In any case, perhaps ask in the Hardware forum? This forum is for software instruments/plugins.
macOS | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | DSAudio all | All TAL synths | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | DUNE 2 | Arturia V 6 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others

jancivil
KVRAF
17934 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm

A=440 to A=n is just not a matter of semitone transposition.

The diff between A440 and A415 fortunately for the OP is 101.27062474844713 cents. Close enough for rock 'n roll :hihi:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

So the keyboard controller is not always your solution; the instrument which can make that adjustment is. Beyond that if you want Baroque intonations, you want an instrument which can create or receive a tuning file, eg., .scl (Scala) preferably with some way to base in on differing 'tonics', ie., .tun.

Otherwise you might approximate it by cents in certain interfaces. You could get that I think in Kontakt per se (with a tuning script, there are several provided).
Vienna Instruments Pro only goes as far down as 420, but will support any 12-note .scl on any of the 12 as tonic.

Return to “Instruments”