Native Access

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

chk071 wrote: Why? You can set - your plugin folder; your audio software folder, which hoards the plugin's application files; and your content folder, which hoards sample libraries and stuff. I don't find that very assumptive, rather exactly the way i use to set up the folders on my hard drive as well. I have my audio software in the Audio folder, my content in a Sample, or Content folder, and my plugins in a folder i name "VST".
You can set it, but I cannot figure out how to change it since I have re-organized my VST folder short of re-installing everything.

AnX
KVRAF
2994 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Native Access

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
AnX wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Well, to put things into perspective, you couldn't uninstall directly even via Service Center.
Or install, or register serial to get a code....nightmare software. Thank the lord for refund policies.
Well no, those things all work perfectly fine in SC. Methinks your computer is weird. :)

Yeah, it must be just me. Never seen another single person complain in 10 years.... :roll:

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16892 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I've never had any troubles doing any updates in SC, really. Nor did dozens of thousands of other people. Sure occasionally issues happen, but that doesn't mean they happen to just about everyone out there. Reason #1 for things going out of whack is users manually moving plugin DLL files elsewhere, or people deleting the uninstallers from ProgramData folder, preventing the updates to execute properly...
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:22 pm

generaldiomedes wrote:
chk071 wrote: Why? You can set - your plugin folder; your audio software folder, which hoards the plugin's application files; and your content folder, which hoards sample libraries and stuff. I don't find that very assumptive, rather exactly the way i use to set up the folders on my hard drive as well. I have my audio software in the Audio folder, my content in a Sample, or Content folder, and my plugins in a folder i name "VST".
You can set it, but I cannot figure out how to change it since I have re-organized my VST folder short of re-installing everything.
Just change the VST path in Preferences. However it won't change the VST path for already installed products... you'd need to tweak registry/plist for that, in order for future updates to work.

AnX
KVRAF
2994 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am

EvilDragon wrote:I've never had any troubles doing any updates in SC, really. Nor did dozens of thousands of other people. Sure occasionally issues happen, but that doesn't mean they happen to just about everyone out there. Reason #1 for things going out of whack is users manually moving plugin DLL files elsewhere, or people deleting the uninstallers from ProgramData folder, preventing the updates to execute properly...

Couldnt install/authorise a single thing. Didnt move anything.

Its a bit like Live, after scanning my plugins it crashed and wouldnt open again despite several efforts to force it. No other hosts had a problem.

I may be in a minority, but it happens, and those companies have no interest in minorities.

felis
KVRist
359 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 am

I always delete my 32 bit, .x86 files because I don't use them, and they take up space on my laptop.

I guess that's why every time I use NA, it shows 'needs repair' or something, and I have to download
and delete them again?

Teksonik
KVRAF
11480 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 am

So what's the procedure for changing over from the Service Center to Native Access and what are the odds that doing so will break access to some of my third party libraries or cause other issues ? What is the likelihood that I will have to roll back to an earlier version of Kontakt to fix any issues caused by doing the transition as I've seen reported ?

Just the fact that I even have to ask those questions shows there is potentially a problem with the system.

"I've never had a problem" does not mean no one will ever have a problem. I've never had a problem with the SC on my studio computer nor NA on this system but the potential of issues occurring keeps me from wanting to do the transition from one to the other........ :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:44 am

felis wrote:I always delete my 32 bit, .x86 files because I don't use them, and they take up space on my laptop.

I guess that's why every time I use NA, it shows 'needs repair' or something, and I have to download
and delete them again?
Yes, if 32-bit plugins are removed, it will show that installation needs repair. Annoying, yes, a bit.

Teksonik wrote:So what's the procedure for changing over from the Service Center to Native Access and what are the odds that doing so will break access to some of my third party libraries or cause other issues ? What is the likelihood that I will have to roll back to an earlier version of Kontakt to fix any issues caused by doing the transition as I've seen reported ?
There's no procedure. You just install NA, it can coexist with SC. It picks up everything that's already registered on your system. It doesn't break any 3rd party libraries.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2410 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 am

Teksonik wrote:So what's the procedure for changing over from the Service Center to Native Access and what are the odds that doing so will break access to some of my third party libraries or cause other issues ? What is the likelihood that I will have to roll back to an earlier version of Kontakt to fix any issues caused by doing the transition as I've seen reported ?

Just the fact that I even have to ask those questions shows there is potentially a problem with the system.

"I've never had a problem" does not mean no one will ever have a problem. I've never had a problem with the SC on my studio computer nor NA on this system but the potential of issues occurring keeps me from wanting to do the transition from one to the other........ :?
It sounds like Kontakt 5.8.0 does cause some issues with some early third party libraries, but that's a Kontakt not a Native Access thing.

Likely in your position you'll be ok. As Mario says, you just install Native Access and that's it, Service Center will keep working alongside if needs be. Again, the main issue with NA (unless you're offline) is installing Native Instrument's own Player libraries if they're not already in Kontakt, as there's no way to point NA to your existing library - you have to download the whole thing again. But if they're already up and running in Kontakt, Native Access is fine with it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4265 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am

There is Pro Tools. I know it's possible to make the argument that you can buy a permanent licence but the value of the permanent is artificially low as, in order to maintain a current version you either keep buying an annual maintenance fee or have to buy back into a maintenance plan at an inflated rate if you fall off the wagon. The system is weighted so far to push a subscription that it might as well be subs-only.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 am

EvilDragon wrote: Just change the VST path in Preferences. However it won't change the VST path for already installed products... you'd need to tweak registry/plist for that, in order for future updates to work.
Actually I'll probably look into that, less painful.

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 am

generaldiomedes wrote:
Actually, they even have a respective tutorial in their Knowledge Base: https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ter-VIDEO-

It's the german site, just switch to your country's site.

Teksonik
KVRAF
11480 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 am

EvilDragon wrote: There's no procedure. You just install NA, it can coexist with SC. It picks up everything that's already registered on your system. It doesn't break any 3rd party libraries.
Just install NA....so that is the procedure.... :P

Ok if I do install NA and it causes problems will you jump on a plane and come here to fix it ? :tu:
LeVzi wrote:What a pile of crap ! Never before have I seen a more buggy and unstable method of keeping products up to date !
I just tried to upgrade Kontakt to the latest version only to have this stupid NA crash every time, upon reinstalling it, seems to only want to update certain things.
Sahul wrote:In my particular case, Native Access threw an error message yesterday night every time I tried to update to Kontakt v5.8.0, something in the lines of "the original installation can't be found blah blah blah". I could finish the update afterwards by using the standalone version of the installer (which was not easy to find, by the way, as some people have already pointed out in this thread). :roll:
Harry_HH wrote: I don´t care where you add libraries, from the Konakt or via the Native Access. But the trouble is, that the old existing Kontakt libraries have not been able to add by using the Native Access.
Typical case is, when you have for one or other reason lost your system disk, and replaced it, and all your libraries are located in hard drives all over you computer.
You re-isntall the plugin, but wouldn´t like to re-install tons if gigabytes of libraries.
The key question here is: has the NI now, after more than a year, fixed this issue?
topaz wrote:Some legacy libraries are not working, certainly EW RA, my most used library fails in 5.8
And so on......hardly inspires one to bother with NA or this Kontakt update. You're a beta tester at N.I. Evil Dragon, let them know what the user base thinks . :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2410 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 am

Gamma-UT wrote:There is Pro Tools. I know it's possible to make the argument that you can buy a permanent licence but the value of the permanent is artificially low as, in order to maintain a current version you either keep buying an annual maintenance fee or have to buy back into a maintenance plan at an inflated rate if you fall off the wagon. The system is weighted so far to push a subscription that it might as well be subs-only.
Not at all, it's pretty standard stuff. For Ultimate (was HD) subs are $1k per year, buying outright is $2.5k. I can only see Vanilla figures in GBP - its £250 to subscribe for a year, £500 to purchase outright. Subs are pretty poor value actually.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4265 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:There is Pro Tools. I know it's possible to make the argument that you can buy a permanent licence but the value of the permanent is artificially low as, in order to maintain a current version you either keep buying an annual maintenance fee or have to buy back into a maintenance plan at an inflated rate if you fall off the wagon. The system is weighted so far to push a subscription that it might as well be subs-only.
Not at all, it's pretty standard stuff. For Ultimate (was HD) subs are $1k per year, buying outright is $2.5k. I can only see Vanilla figures in GBP - its £250 to subscribe for a year, £500 to purchase outright. Subs are pretty poor value actually.
Why are you leaving out the cost of the continuing per-year support plan? And the cost of reinstatement if you don't renew within 30 days of expiry?

Return to “Instruments”