Dream soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
deastman
KVRAF
6952 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 pm

I want a sonically and functionally perfect emulation of an E-mu Emax SE, with an integrated web browser that can sample directly from YouTube.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

Michael L
KVRAF
2500 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from the End of the World as we Knowit

Re: Dream soft synth?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Code a cross-platform Alchemy and rake in the riches....

Topcheese
KVRist
165 posts since 12 Nov, 2017

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:12 am

The market is already filled with enough for you to mix and match to create your dream sound. You should think outside the box and create one that is like a MP game.

It could also be used as a learning tool for people looking to get into synthesis. The goal is to let people design their own dream synth with effects. You get the people to compete in challenges that are setup.

You would first have to build a platform for it, but if you made it fun, then you don't really have to worry about the details. You just give the people the tools to have fun, and you get a real chance to learn what people want. imho

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2942 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 am

Dream synth? Pretty much anything I already own, but with Serum-like interace. In particular Harmor and Loom could get some, as they are good sounding, very intriguing, very different and both pain in the ass to program.

Also, better FM synth than what we have now... how comes no one has came up with anything better than FM8 in last 10 years? Ableton Operator is great in terms of sound, but has limited possibilities and small GUI.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

fmr
KVRAF
8425 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:43 am

Michael L wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:It wouldn't even be the dream... it would be
Alchemy
Some things, yes, you already had in Alchemy, but not all of them. But I would be already glad with something like Alchemy, that I agree 8)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 am

DJ Warmonger wrote: Also, better FM synth than what we have now... how comes no one has came up with anything better than FM8 in last 10 years? Ableton Operator is great in terms of sound, but has limited possibilities and small GUI.
What is the problem of DX7 V?
Fernando (FMR)

Cinebient
KVRAF
3983 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:14 am

Not sure why people still searching for the ultimate do it all in one synth (or as we germans say "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau")
http://www.persoenlich.com/media/cache/ ... w-9224.jpg
It´s simple....build and/or layer your dream synth in a DAW with whatever FX you want.
No single synth ever will make us happy.
And also no single synth sounds really as good as you layer the best parts of several synths together.
I don´t think there is any innovative synth coming anytime soon now (at least not for windows/mac).
If that happens i see that more with independent developers rather than more famous brands which goes always save and maybe can´t experiment.
As a customer and someone who suffers from G.A.S., i don´t see any reason to buy any synth now.
The famous brands are indeed the most boring synths mostly (not always)..... :D

fmr
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 am

Cinebient wrote:Not sure why people still searching for the ultimate do it all in one synth (or as we germans say "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau")
It´s simple....build and/or layer your dream synth in a DAW with whatever FX you want.
I agree with you that no synth will ever be able to do everything. But layering different synths is not an answer either, IMO.

First, because you would have to create specific sounds IN EACH SYNTH, specifically thought to be leyered with the other sounds in the other synths. This would be a quite laborious task, let alone the fact that you had to carefully select which synths would suit your aim (and hope that an update/upgrade in one of the synth would not f**k up everything).

Second, because layered sounds of different synths will not guarantee you a coherent mix spanning the entire spectra (all the different octaves). The layered sound may sound OK in the central octaves, but not in the extremes, due to different filters, different ways how the different synths respond, etc.

Third, because some of the things I asked are even not available anywhere, as of now. What we have enough are countless examples of always the same tired subtractive synthesis paradigm, and people arguing endlessly about the accuracy of the models :roll:

So, I am still hoping that someone will come up with something different. Not that I have many reaons to complain. Between Kontakt, Falcon and HALion, I have "almost" my dream synth fulfilled. Regarding your allusion to other platforms, I know you have high expectations in the mobile platforms, but as I wrote several times, I don't agree with you on that. For me, it's a trend that will pass. They may lead to something related, but the way they are now, I don't see a future... simply because the OSes are too crippled, storage space is too limited, and battery power is not powerful enough and durable enough. For me, the only utility those devices have are as helpers, no more than that.
Fernando (FMR)

Cinebient
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:31 am

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Not sure why people still searching for the ultimate do it all in one synth (or as we germans say "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau")
I agree with you that no synth will ever be able to do everything. But layering different synths is not an answer either, IMO.

First, because you would have to create specific sounds IN EACH SYNTH, specifically thought to be leyered with the other sounds in the other synths. This would be a quite laborious task, let alone the fact that you had to carefully select which synths would suit your aim (and hope that an update/upgrade in one of the synth would not f**k up everything).

Second, because layered sounds of different synths will not guarantee you a coherent mix spanning the entire spectra (all the different octaves). The layered sound may sound OK in the central octaves, but not in the extremes, due to different filters, different ways how the different synths respond, etc.

Third, because some of the things I asked are even not available anywhere, as of now. What we have enough are countless examples of always the same tired subtractive synthesis paradigm, and people arguing endlessly about the accuracy of the models :roll:

So, I am still hoping that someone will come up with something different. Not that I have many reaons to complain. Between Kontakt, Falcon and HALion, I have "almost" my dream synth fulfilled. Regarding your allusion to other platforms, I know you have high expectations in the mobile platforms, but as I wrote several times, I don't agree with you on that. For me, it's a trend that will pass. They may lead to something related, but the way they are now, I don't see a future... simply because the OSes are too crippled, storage space is too limited, and battery power is not powerful enough and durable enough. For me, the only utility those devices have are as helpers, no more than that.
Maybe, but i see it exact the other way. Desktop OS are so bloated and fragmented and support needs much more time and money, piracy is a problem too etc. A reason you won´t see some developers on mac and windows like Moog.
Even if i dislike it really i see this might be worse in some years. At least for independent developers which like more to focus on development rather than all the crap around it.
Synths are already on the same level for much less. I understand if you don´t like the mobile workflow. I dislike it too mainly now but the tools are getting better and better.
My favorite synth on mac won´t be further updated i think and most others are don´t quite anything special now for me.
I agree that both has pro and contra but i bet that the mobile world will grow much more while the desktop world like to stay in the past and support, piracy and famous brands which brings out the same boring stuff since years eat still the market there. Might be a killer for new developers.
Maybe you are right, who knows. At the end i don´t care.
The reality is that i would never ever have to buy a new tool. It´s harder for developers now to create new innovative and unique stuff.
The stuff for mac which i really like is full of bugs or won´t be further developed.
Also there are some developers which does much better on iOS now....

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 am

Layering several synths sucks. The resulting sounds tend to be way too dominant.
And one has to save the combinations as racks in the DAW, which makes switching to another DAW a pita.
So, having a couple of layers and good effects within one plugin is useful. You just save and load one preset (which is independent of the DAW) and that's it.

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:08 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Layering several synths sucks. The resulting sounds tend to be way too dominant.
And one has to save the combinations as racks in the DAW, which makes switching to another DAW a pita.
So, having a couple of layers and good effects within one plugin is useful. You just save and load one preset (which is independent of the DAW) and that's it.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

fmr
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

Cinebient wrote: ... piracy is a problem too etc. A reason you won´t see some developers on mac and windows like Moog.
Even if i dislike it really i see this might be worse in some years. At least for independent developers which like more to focus on development rather than all the crap around it.
Piracy as a problem is highly overrated, IMO. Do you believe that, if the synths (or any other software) for the mobile platforms costed the same they cost for the desktop platforms, there would be no piracy?

When I see developers selleing a synth for iOS for 20, and ask 120 for the exact same synth for the desktop, I can't help to think that they are asked to be pirated. If they can sell the synth for 20 on one platform, I see no reason to multiply the price by five. If they would sell it for just a little more (even twice the price), I bet piracy would be discouraged, and people would buy them gladly.

But if someone asks 500 dollars for a synth (when there are hardware synths costing around the same) what can we think? And yet, they are here, and they are surviving. So, if Moog is absent from the desktop, it certainly isn't because of piracy. If they say so, that's an excuse. I would believe more in lack of knowledge, and lack of will to invest in a support infrastructure (AFAIK, the mobile platform software has basically no support at all - actually Apple way of business is the same, even for the so-called Pro applications, where users are dependant on other users to get support).
Fernando (FMR)

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:01 am

Hmm... Yes and no, Fernando.

Because there are many (and even zillions of) cheapwares of very low prices (as low as just 5 or 10 bucks) which are also distributed in warez networks without any rights and/or with the serial numbers broken. They do that "just for the sport", and it sometimes ruins the interest of the most humble developers as well as the one of the big brands. And in all the domains : music, games, small daily tools, etc. It's a true rot quite impossible to stop.
:(
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

liv
KVRian
1424 posts since 26 Feb, 2013 from Sweden

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am

Absynth 6.

Cinebient
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Layering several synths sucks. The resulting sounds tend to be way too dominant.
I see it not this way.
I mean i won‘t change my DAW and my fav synth anyway is mac only.
I‘m 100 times faster with my DAW rather than using something like Falcon f.e.
However, would be boring if we all think and/or work the same!
At the end a dream synth will be exact that.... a dream! :D

Return to “Instruments”