Dream soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Michael L
KVRAF
2536 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from the End of the World as we Knowit

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 am

Another way is to let the individual sound guide the composition. For me, when I find a sound that I love its because I hear a melody in its harmonics. So I play with it for a while and see what melody brings out the qualities in that sound. I can get really lost in that process. I can easily spend the rest of my life just exploring a handful of synths (alchemy, tassman, iris, metasynth, arcsyn...) to discover their compositional seeds.

himalaya
KVRAF
4951 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Re: Dream soft synth?

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 am

edit: wrong thread
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:07 pm

wagtunes wrote:The problem with Zebra (and don't get me wrong, I love the synth) is that it has a sound engine that makes it sound like Zebra. And that's the problem with every synth out there. Its engine makes it sound like every patch is coming from that synth. And some engines are more obvious than others. Tone 2 is probably the biggest offender of all. Every single one of their synths has that plastic EDM sound. Even Saurus 2.

I want a synth that can sound like Electra 2 and also sound like The Legend or anything I can think of.

Zebra can't do that and never will.
That's like wanting a car that can be a sports car and an SUV and a sedan at the same time :hihi:

And is it different with hardware synths? There is a typical Oberheim sound, a typical Moog sound etc.

As long as the sound character is nice, I don't mind about a typical sound.

wagtunes
KVRAF
14811 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The problem with Zebra (and don't get me wrong, I love the synth) is that it has a sound engine that makes it sound like Zebra. And that's the problem with every synth out there. Its engine makes it sound like every patch is coming from that synth. And some engines are more obvious than others. Tone 2 is probably the biggest offender of all. Every single one of their synths has that plastic EDM sound. Even Saurus 2.

I want a synth that can sound like Electra 2 and also sound like The Legend or anything I can think of.

That's like wanting a car that can be a sports car and an SUV and a sedan at the same time :hihi:

And is it different with hardware synths? There is a typical Oberheim sound, a typical Moog sound etc.

Yes, that's true with every synth, hardware and software. I want something that can sound like anything so I can get rid of most of my stuff.

Cinebient
KVRAF
4012 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:

Yes, that's true with every synth, hardware and software. I want something that can sound like anything so I can get rid of most of my stuff.
...and then close your buisness?

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
11076 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:19 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:That's like wanting a car that can be a sports car and an SUV and a sedan at the same time :hihi:
Actually, it isn't :shrug: The design traits of these vehicles are not interchangeable in the way that totally distinct modules within a software framework are.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Just take a synth with a neutral sound, but lots of sound design flexibility.

Even my ancient, relatively simplistic Sylenth1 can make Moog basses, Oberheim pads and what not.
It mostly depends on sound design, not the synth's inherent sound character.

Even if you won't find a single one that does it all, I guess with, say, 3 very different quality synths you can cover almost any ground.

EnGee
KVRAF
5178 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:46 pm

I think Halion 6 might be the one workstation that has most everything. Not sure if it has FM synth though!

Reason 10 can be considered as a full workstation as well. I can live only with the stock synths.

Yesterday I loaded Cubase and inserted one instance from every synth I have installed (about 30). I have noticed that I like to use only about 5 or 6, while the other synths I can live without!

The first synths I insert are:
The Legend
Massive
FM8
Legacy Cell
Dune 2

I like a lot other synths, (like Largo, Sylenth1 and RePro etc.) but I don't use/like them as the above synths, so I consider the above 5 synths are my dream synths then. Maybe, this is a way to discover what are your dream synths!
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:34 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just take a synth with a neutral sound, but lots of sound design flexibility.

Even my ancient, relatively simplistic Sylenth1 can make Moog basses, Oberheim pads and what not.

Even if you won't find a single one that does it all, I guess with, say, 3 very different quality synths you can cover almost any ground.
A neutral sound is a neutral sound. Don't even try to tell me that Sylenth1 sounds like an actual Oberheim. It's not even close if you've ever actually used one.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 pm

It is not an emulation, so it does not sound exactly like the hardware, of course. But one can get reasonably close, although you might have to improvise in order to get there.
Hybrid 3 is also nice, especially for the price, rather versatile sound. It would actually be my favorite synth if they fixed a couple of issues.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:50 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:It is not an emulation, so it does not sound exactly like the hardware, of course. But one can get reasonably close, although you might have to improvise in order to get there.
Hybrid 3 is also nice, especially for the price, rather versatile sound. It would actually be my favorite synth if they fixed a couple of issues.
Reasonably close isn't good enough for me. I want a synth that can sound EXACTLY like any synth in existence or a synth not even yet imagined.

We are talking "dream synth" here.

Well THAT'S my dream synth.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:01 pm

I programmed a new synth bass patch today, which sounds rather convincing to me, I know that kind of sound from older R&B songs, Moog I suppose :)

https://app.box.com/s/3o9vxfv0fqlj9970oqmc7eme14ym154j

Cinebient
KVRAF
4012 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:I programmed a new synth bass patch today, which sounds rather convincing to me, I know that kind of sound from older R&B songs, Moog I suppose :)

https://app.box.com/s/3o9vxfv0fqlj9970oqmc7eme14ym154j
Indeed nice bass sound.
But for me a Moog just start to be fun at the audio rate stuff and raw and brutal power with saturation.
The little Moog app even eats most synths for breakfast here :)
A lot synth can sound similar to a certain point.
Then they fall down very fast against the special ones.
I find f.e. The Legend has almost too much to tweak and the FX doesn‘t fit so well like the ones in the Moog app. The sweet spot is much bigger in the app for me. Sometimes less is more.

Bump1
KVRist
259 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Post Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 am

A 64-bit SQ-80 emulation

Stefken
KVRian
897 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Tue May 01, 2018 2:41 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just take a synth with a neutral sound, but lots of sound design flexibility.

Considering how pricey hardware is, then everybody would settle for 3 synths which is obviously not the case. Take the polymoog for example, or Crust : that sound is so unique.

I guess the 80-20 rule could be in play here. With a limited amount of synths you could cover 80% of the spectrum, but for the extra 20% you need a lot more.
Then it depends on the person how far he wants to take it. For me, a guitar is a guitar so to speak. For a guitar enthousiast, obviously not.

Return to “Instruments”