Mika Micro (v2.0.1 stable) - free, open-source subtractive synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mika Micro

Mika Micro is a small subtractive synth designed to be expressive and fun with a minimal set of controls. Features:
  • 2 oscillators with 6 waveforms and split knobs
  • Simple FM functionality
  • 12dB resonant low pass filter
  • 8 voice polyphony and mono/legato modes
Mika Micro is free and open-source, and all sorts of feedback and contributions are welcome!

Download | GitHub

Since I'm finally releasing a stable version, I figured I'd stop hijacking Halon's thread and make a fresh new one. Also, is anyone interested in VST3 builds? I honestly can't think of a time I've used a VST3. :P
Last edited by tesselode on Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yay! Great news tesselode. :tu:

Also i don't mind you 'hijacking' my thread. :D
I honestly can't think of a time I've used a VST3.
Neither have i :party:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:Yay! Great news tesselode. :tu:

Also i don't mind you 'hijacking' my thread. :D
I honestly can't think of a time I've used a VST3.
Neither have i :party:
Same.

some bugs :

* mod target cut knob doesn't activate the envelope it stays gray.

* mod attack time seems really short even when up all the way

* mod sustain level isn't zero when slider is down all the way it raises the filter cutoff anyways when you turn up mod cut knob. also the mod attack and decay dont seem to be responding now (maybe that's why they seemed short when turned up they don't actually change)

* filter cutoff won't go low enough (should cut out sound entirely when all the way down)

windows 64 bits version 2.0

SMH wrote:some bugs :

* mod target cut knob doesn't activate the envelope it stays gray.

* mod attack time seems really short even when up all the way

* mod sustain level isn't zero when slider is down all the way it raises the filter cutoff anyways when you turn up mod cut knob. also the mod attack and decay dont seem to be responding now (maybe that's why they seemed short when turned up they don't actually change)

* filter cutoff won't go low enough (should cut out all sound when all the way down)

windows 64 bits version 2.0

SMH wrote: * mod attack time seems really short even when up all the way
How long would you like it to be? Are there any synths you can recommend that have an envelope you like the feel of?
SMH wrote: * filter cutoff won't go low enough (should cut out sound entirely when all the way down)
Is there any utility to having the filter cut out the sound entirely?
SMH wrote: * mod target cut knob doesn't activate the envelope it stays gray.

I can't reproduce either of these. What DAW are you using? Can you send me an example patch?

Windows Reaper 5.80 64bit

And if the filter can't cut the sound out entirely then the filt envelope can't bring it in from nothing. What real synths don't let you turn cutoff down to 0? Every one I've ever used does.

Here... Mod cut on, but ADSR sliders grayed.
mikabug.png
If I turn Mod Mod on they come on but they still have no effect. In fact now Filter Cut has no effect!

Anyway that's about all I wanna play with this just wanted to let you know its seriously bugged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You linked the volume envelope to the cutoff (the one on top), not the mod envelope. If you turn off volume->cutoff and turn on mod->cutoff, I think you'll get the behavior you expect.

Oh I see. I thought the volume env was just for volume and all that other stuff was destinations for the mod env.

Yea works now. Still find the ranges of a lot of the controls to be not enough. Envs don't go long or short enough. Cutoff needs to go all the way to zero. Lowest position still lets a lot of harmonics through on the low notes when key tracking is off and on all notes when it's on.

Is the filter after the vca? Just noticed when turned all the way up the res continues after the osc tone has ended it's release stage. Usually vca comes last in the signal chain.

Thanks.

The filter is after the VCA, yes. I like it because that way the distortion is stronger/weaker depending on the volume, which adds a nice dynamic. I'll consider extending the cutoff a little lower; if I put it all the way to 0, it results in some DC offset.

Version 2.0.1 is out!

Changes:
  • Changed filter cutoff smoothing to only apply to the knob, allowing for much snappier filter envelopes
  • Added and updated some presets

Thanks tesselode :tu:

Since this is called Mika Micro, will you do a Max sometime in the future? :D
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

if i ever decide to go against my principles and make a large, complex synth, then yeah sure! :P

:tu:

Return to “Instruments”