The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
miketimothy
KVRer
29 posts since 11 Nov, 2003 from London

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 am

I want to buy the Mangle but is this product still in development, i've seen a lot of
crap on KVR and want to know if it’s safe to buy and works and saves presets on Mac OS 10.13.4 ?

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17906 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:27 am

It's still being sold but it is no longer being developed and the dev has basically gone fishing.

The VST however is very stable and excellent. I highly recommend it as long as you can live with it being what it is because that's all you're going to get. For me, it's still the best granular VST out there. Nothing else, IMO, comes close.

Here's a demo you can listen to.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... 50-samples

I also made 50 patches freely available that you can download below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiiro3jovo1ka ... p.zip?dl=0

miketimothy
KVRer
29 posts since 11 Nov, 2003 from London

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:45 am

Thanks a lot for the reply Steven and for the presets.
Are you using MacOS 10.13.4, and is the registration process automated, if he's MIA
how will I get my activation ?

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
4507 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:13 am

He has also made an excellent modular synth (opened architecture) named The Tangle. And for an incredibly low price. And it offers a very nice feature : it reads the single-cycle waveforms (and you can add your own waveforms). As well as the Mangle I use the Tangle and I really enjoy it. Hundreds of hours of fun.
:phones:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
4507 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:27 am

miketimothy wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply Steven and for the presets.
Are you using MacOS 10.13.4, and is the registration process automated, if he's MIA
how will I get my activation ?
You get your activation immediately. I made the two purchases (Mangle and Tangle) three weeks ago. There is no problem at all. It is an automatized process. The developer doesn't intervene in the process.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17906 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:53 am

BlackWinny wrote:
miketimothy wrote:Thanks a lot for the reply Steven and for the presets.
Are you using MacOS 10.13.4, and is the registration process automated, if he's MIA
how will I get my activation ?
You get your activation immediately. I made the two purchases (Mangle and Tangle) three weeks ago. There is no problem at all. It is an automatized process. The developer doesn't intervene in the process.
However, if there is a problem with delivery (happens with my libraries on occasion) such as no redirect to download link and no email because possibly rejected as spam or any number of reasons, contacting dev to get product could turn into a long process. It could be days or even weeks before he gets back to you.

I'm just saying, when you have a dev who has essentially left the planet, unless you can be 100% sure of the delivery process, you are taking your chances. That is why I didn't buy The Tangle. My past experiences with the dev left me leery of getting anything else from him, especially if there's some bug that causes plugin to crash.

Shame, because I think he makes great stuff and is very talented. He's not a bad guy. He's just a self admitted awful communicator.

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
4507 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 am

I trust you, Steve, of course. I just shared my own experience. I bought both three weeks ago, didn't get any issue to receive the two download links (there isn't any other protection)... and I enjoy them. Simply.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

miketimothy
KVRer
29 posts since 11 Nov, 2003 from London

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:29 am

Thanks guys, I just bought it and all was OK, Steve your presets are cool, thanks again.

User avatar
Guenon
KVRAF
1616 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:35 am

In my opinion, The Mangle is an exceptionally well thought out granular tool. I also love the alternative workflows you can have with it, i.e. you don't have to play it with a MIDI keyboard (you can, of course, and specify the keyboard triggering very nicely), but also just simply find interesting textures and timbres "scanning" the GUI waveform with the mouse cursor. I've seen this in some other tools, but this one just nails it. I often record a load of raw material that way, in realtime, and then proceed from there in the DAW and in more conventional samplers.

Sooo yeap, The Mangle is my favorite tool for granular work on the desktop, and I would recommend it too, no matter what level of communication can be expected. Borderlands Granular is, in turn, a very big part of the reason I wanted to get an iPad in the first place :). Together they give you a very flexible granular workflow, choosing one or the other depending on what you want to do.

Granular workflows are great fun :D

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17906 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:08 am

miketimothy wrote:Thanks guys, I just bought it and all was OK, Steve your presets are cool, thanks again.
Glad you like them. I also have an expanded library if you're interested with an additional 300 patches. Probably the most fun I ever had putting a library together. Just saddens me that the dev is so out of the loop.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17906 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 am

Guenon wrote:In my opinion, The Mangle is an exceptionally well thought out granular tool. I also love the alternative workflows you can have with it, i.e. you don't have to play it with a MIDI keyboard (you can, of course, and specify the keyboard triggering very nicely), but also just simply find interesting textures and timbres "scanning" the GUI waveform with the mouse cursor. I've seen this in some other tools, but this one just nails it. I often record a load of raw material that way, in realtime, and then proceed from there in the DAW and in more conventional samplers.

Sooo yeap, The Mangle is my favorite tool for granular work on the desktop, and I would recommend it too, no matter what level of communication can be expected. Borderlands Granular is, in turn, a very big part of the reason I wanted to get an iPad in the first place :). Together they give you a very flexible granular workflow, choosing one or the other depending on what you want to do.

Granular workflows are great fun :D
I agree. It is my go-to for granular stuff. Hell, you can literally make a track out of one patch.

User avatar
Guenon
KVRAF
1616 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:10 am

wagtunes wrote:I agree. It is my go-to for granular stuff. Hell, you can literally make a track out of one patch.
True :)

artificial
KVRian
586 posts since 15 Oct, 2008

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 am

Just to let you know, I contacted the dev twice, because I lost the mail with the download links for The Mangle (my fault, I know ;-)) and haven't received an answer so far!

All in all I really love this plugin and so I hope that he'll answer my mail at some point! :-)

Caine123
KVRAF
6154 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

I hate devs who just disappear. No matter how well a plugin is.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
4507 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 am

Caine123 wrote:I hate devs who just disappear. No matter how well a plugin is.
They may have a perfectly legitimate reason to disappear.

Health for example among may others.

If you developed products being a one-man company and suddenly had a strong issue with your health... would you like to be criticized and hated ?

No.

It is the same for everyone.

Nobody can't know in advance what the future reserves to us.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”