The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mladi wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 pm So you can still by a beta with no support and further updates on SoundGuru webpage? That is pretty lame: Maybe change his name to MoneyGuru to reflect the reality a bit? LOL
Lame is being kind. I honestly don't know how Tom can do what he's doing and sleep at night. But, whatever.

Is it worth buying even if it is abandoned?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm Is it worth buying even if it is abandoned?
Not if you can't get it to work. I wouldn't at this point. Lots of people seem to be having problems with it.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm Is it worth buying even if it is abandoned?
Not if you can't get it to work. I wouldn't at this point. Lots of people seem to be having problems with it.
Thanks Steven. I should download the demo.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I wouldn't neither, just cause I find if pretty unethical to sell an unfinished beta product without any support of any kind. So you basically play russian roulette ans GIVE money to the guy. This guy shouldn't have a dime again for his broken toy.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:13 pm I wouldn't neither, just cause I find if pretty unethical to sell an unfinished beta product without any support of any kind. So you basically play russian roulette ans GIVE money to the guy. This guy shouldn't a dime again for his broken toy.
Can't agree more. Anybody who buys this thing, knowing what the situation is, is either an idiot or has money to throw away that they don't care about.

I hope Tom has a good paying job now because he's pretty much burned every bridge imaginable as far as ever making it as a software developer ever again.

Hmm think i'll just spend my money elsewhere then.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 pm Hmm think i'll just spend my money elsewhere then.
Smart decision.

You know what's ironic. Of my 78 sound libraries, The Mangle is my 18th best seller. At one point, while Tom was still active, it was in my top 10. That's the shame of all of this. He had a good thing going and he just threw it all away.

Quanta, glitchmachines palindrome and new sonic arts granite are the best I can think quickly.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm Quanta, glitchmachines palindrome and new sonic arts granite are the best I can think quickly.
I have Granite (won it in their raffle) and don't like it at all. The sound is harsh and it doesn't have near the flexibility of other granular synths.

Seems he is a speaker at ADC London.

https://adc19.sched.com/event/T1P7/immu ... -sequencer
Last edited by pottering on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

''Now I'm working on an interactive sequencer and music composition environment''

By the way you handled your business with Mangle, good luck with that dude.

edit: nevermind, better not post mere speculations

While i find sad to see Mangle and Tangle abandonware, I think it is a bit harsh : the software on his website have demos (so you can try them before buying), and the price is quite cheap (so it's a bit unfair to think that he's getting rich with selling £19 plugins).
Of course, I wish he would answer e-mails (he doesn't), release updates (he doesn't), and keep amazing software alive (he doesn't).
But, well, as the "released-as-is" plugins were quite popular a couple years ago, I find rather nice to have kept them online, as some users can still enjoy it.
My point is : I would have been pissed off if he had claimed to released updates on a regular basis (but that's not the case), or if'd charge 199$ for unsupported software without demos (but that's not the case), or had taken his site down without prior notice because he can't support his plugins...

Return to “Instruments”