One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
zarf
KVRist
354 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Post Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi all :)
My submission for OSC111 with the great Crust synth..

https://soundcloud.com/zarf/zarf-lana-62

Crusts: ~80 [lots of which are in layers for drums and percussion]

Ableton Live with following DAW fx:
EQ8 (~40)
Compressors (~30)[on pretty much everything]
Midi fx (~5, pitch, random, arp)
M4L Envelope (about 5 used in some perc layers)
Utility (~20)[mostly for volume automation and a little stereo width]
Glue Compressor (~5)
Reverb (4)
Delay (4)
&
TDR Nova (1)
LoudMax64 (1)

Good luck everyone :tu:

Taron
KVRAF
2196 posts since 17 Apr, 2010 from Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (1eqinfinity)

Post Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 pm

Huh, almost late and utterly rushed... (And this time I'm actually shocked how much the SC compression destroys the otherwise beautiful highs it has...pity. :shrug: )

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-aharddayscrust
OSC#111: Eugene Yakshin's CRUST
I apologize for the rushed song, because it sure doesn't do justice to this most promising and exciting new Synth. Even in just a full day of exploring, I've managed to create all these sounds from scratch without knowing the full depth of this curious beast. It's easy to see a very bright future for it and I can't wait to resume my journey into it!

Crust Instances: 17
DAW: MuLab (http://www.mutools.com)
FX: Mid-Side Processor, Vintage Echo 1, Compressor w Sidechain, Dimension Expander, 4 Band EQ, 2 Band EQ and a few other custom muxes to control the stereo image.

3rd party: Loudmax64, OTT, Nova 67-P, Abstract Chamber, Auburn Panagement

bh9090
KVRist
270 posts since 7 Dec, 2006 from Richmond, VA, USA

Post Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/bh9090 ... c-crustamb

18 instances in Live 10 with EQ8, Delays, Compressor, Limiter, Auto Filter, Auto Pan
3rd Party: The good. The trusty. The staple: Tal Reverb 4.

...and thanks Jasinski for the skin. That helped.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pm

My entry this month - a dubby/grimey sort of thing that just kept evolving. Thanks Eugene for the great synth!

https://soundcloud.com/user-947450193/o ... rust-grime

32 instance of Crust in Ableton

Compressor X 13
Glue Compressor X 3
EQ Eight X 26
Saturator X 5
Drum Rack X 2
Utility X 21
Limiter X 7
Reverb X 4 (1 send)
Simple Delay X 2
Max Envelope X 4
Convolution Reverb Pro X 1 (send)
Echo X 1 (send)

Protoverb X 1
Saturation Knob X 1
Dimensional Expander X 2
OTT X 1
Ozone Imager X 3
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baalisoda
KVRist
147 posts since 7 Apr, 2017 from Vellore, Tamilnadu, India

Post Thu May 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Just couldn't able to come out with a half decent track, will be sitting out this month's OSC. :oops:

Wishing the participants, all the very best :tu:

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1263 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 pm

I missed it as well, though by accident I got an astonishingly perfect brass which is fun to play on the Linnstrument. But just noodling with it was not good enough for a submission...

574X
KVRist
195 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Post Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 pm

Great synth! :love:
The best half of crystal/diodow in a personally much preferred single page layout.
I enjoyed it tremendously this month.

Saved .fxp files aren’t loading. :help:
My feature requests :hyper: are simple workflow optimizations: the ability to link all filter params incl env, and a master mono sum knob (or better yet, a mono sum lpf knob. I use a crossover for this in my plugins but I'm not an expert).
I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini

Dee.P.Tree
KVRist
241 posts since 25 Aug, 2015

Post Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 pm

574X wrote: Saved .fxp files aren’t loading. :help:
I faced similar problem in FL studio .fxp save option 2 weeks back. I thought it was just me and did not reported. I had lost almost all presets (around 30). I could redesign some of them later, though.

By the way, I will surely not be able to meet submission deadline. I will share my track later during voting period.

Eauson
KVRian
836 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 pm

26 * crust
Purest gain, epic verb, reacomp,Ghi,dc1a2,clip only,totape,dcassasin,console5,reaeq,multianalyzer,

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/kvrosc111-crust
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

574X
KVRist
195 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:21 am

Well here's something... It's not much but some other synth enthusiasts out there might like it if they can overlook the mix. :(
Well on the bright side, there's nothing as motivating as getting last place! :ud:

https://soundcloud.com/unknownchallenge ... dimensions

11 Crusts (Is crust the best part or do you throw the crust away? 8) )

The 574X soundcloud is full so a new account was made.
I simply posted project files as the osc "track info", until that was not an option due to kvr's size limit.

gstereo for sub mono summing, mcomp to compress the sides - likely should've been earlier in the chain, though. Buses have a couple db of slow mastering compression, clip a couple dB, and non percussion have the midi ducker. A few patches have 1% midi pitch randomization and a lot of velocity randomization, which can nicely complement Crust's shiver theme.

Fun stuff and great practice even if the result wasn't as spectacular as it could've been. :phones:

I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini

rockingricky
KVRist
70 posts since 18 Jan, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:11 am

574X wrote:
11 Crusts (Is crust the best part or do you throw the crust away? 8) )
The crust is the best part for shure :love:

doctorbob
KVRian
1139 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Voting Time!)

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, three things stand out in these tracks!!! :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Awesomeness in percussion! :clap:
Amazing compositions and mixing! :clap:
Truly incredible use of the formant filter! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Separating the merits is nigh on impossible ... so much to commend. So, if I give lots of 5's, so be it! :party:

This synth has brought out the best in everyone. Thanks Eugene, I hope you know what you have there and continue to develop it. :tu: :clap:

dB

Stohgs
KVRer
8 posts since 5 Jan, 2016 from California

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Very great submissions everyone. Good work for reals!! Y'all are inspiration of the truest form. Thanks for being who you are and making a difference. It was hard to judge these because I really enjoyed them all in their own way. So I did my best to give each submission its best rating possible while being fair to all entries. Whew. Voted. I will continue to listen to all the entries, they are catchy as hell. Thanks yall. I know for sure I'm holding down last place, learning a lot from these comps. Look forward to seeing everyone in the OSC 112! We all should know this synth by now. I believe y'all will unleash some very good mixes with it better than you did here watch.

TheNeverScene
KVRist
450 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Frostline wrote:
TheNeverScene wrote:Where can I DL a virtual screwdriver and a virtual quantum physics degree? Gonna need both to even think about VCV :-o

It will be interesting to see how vst gets implemented in the future.
Not that bad, viewtopic.php?p=7089508#p7089508
BTW, thank you for the extra write up on your track submission. Very helpful and informative. :tu:
Hey man, no prob! Anything to help out. The ThrillseekerVBL was a staple in the drum processing. The amp and various trim pots are pretty amazing. Earlier versions had a healthy dose of RangeBastard with a lot of under the hood tweaking, but found I could get similar with just VBL and more eq (chasing crash ghosts to no avail). Sounded better with RangeBastard though, so definitely a great plug to check out. Tony Iommi used one in the early Sabbath days....slamming the front end of a Laney with it :)
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene
KVRist
450 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Everyone brought their A-game this month. I love hearing how we all evolve..........then there's Jasinsky...ugh, please stop evolving until most of us catch up! haha You're a machine! Not sure what the heck is going on there...some sort of magic potion that is being consumed? :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Return to “Instruments”