Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

The gui certainly needs work.
I couldn't bring myself to install such an ugly thing.
You should bring a grafical designer in the project.

Trying to run it on flstudio64 (running on wine, manjaro linux)... it says 'critical error, report to developer'.

Granted, this is the last environment you want to test for, but just in case.

Does work in win though.
I see a big separator in between the ops and the bottom section with mod env.
Is that intended?

Ok, there are rendering problems; the part where the logo is I don't see. FL doesn't seem to agree with aurora. Presets being sysex in 2018 is a really interesting choice.

:ud:
Last edited by RyFi on Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

urlwolf wrote:Trying to run it on flstudio64 (running on wine, manjaro linux)... it says 'critical error, report to developer'.

Granted, this is the last environment you want to test for, but just in case.
I'm really not surprised that there are issues under WINE. This isn't my fault. It would be great if it did work of course, but alas, I doubt there's much I can do about it. It runs under Windows as it was developed for.
urlwolf wrote:Does work in win though.
I see a big separator in between the ops and the bottom section with mod env.
Is that intended?
There may be DPI/scaling issues that haven't been accounted for. Can you please PM me a screenshot?

urlwolf wrote:Ok, there are rendering problems; the part where the logo is I don't see. FL doesn't seem to agree with aurora. Presets being sysex in 2018 is a really interesting choice.
The presets aren't sysex. It will import DX7 sysexes, but it uses its own patch format just like every other synth.

FL works just fine. I believe there may be DPI/scaling issues that I haven't coded for though. I would love to fix them if you'd be willing to work with me!

fmr wrote:I still cannot understand why people keep following the DX7 paradigm. Even Yamaha had gone beyond that long ago, first with the DX5/DX1 followed by the DX7 II (which layered two FM elements, because clearly, one single FM element was too short), then with the TX816 (which could layer up to eight FM elements), followed by the SY77/TG77/SY99 (more algorithms, more waveforms, up to four FM layers, or combination of FM and PCM layers, interaction with samples), and later with FS1R. Still, programmers seem to think that there is something magical in the DX7 :shrug:
:dog: :x
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

getting rid of all the psychedelic gradient shading on the gui will make it look much better :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Working fine in Renoise here, and I like it. I agree that the GUI is a bit ugly, but I think it is well thought out and functional and it won't deter me from using it. Sadly, a sexy UI will really help sell a plugin, it's amazing how hung up people get on it. A few small changes here and there and it wouldn't look too bad (agree that the way the gradients are done is making everything very busy). I couldn't find any presets, which is a shame too as I don't really know much about FM synthesis and some nice presets showing off the synth's range would help sell it too. Demoing still, but will likely purchase - price is good, interface is fine to work with - I already find it nicer to program than something like Dexed and I don't have FM8 so I guess I'm in the target audience here.

skyscape wrote:Working fine in Renoise here, and I like it. I agree that the GUI is a bit ugly, but I think it is well thought out and functional and it won't deter me from using it. Sadly, a sexy UI will really help sell a plugin, it's amazing how hung up people get on it. A few small changes here and there and it wouldn't look too bad (agree that the way the gradients are done is making everything very busy). I couldn't find any presets, which is a shame too as I don't really know much about FM synthesis and some nice presets showing off the synth's range would help sell it too. Demoing still, but will likely purchase - price is good, interface is fine to work with - I already find it nicer to program than something like Dexed and I don't have FM8 so I guess I'm in the target audience here.
Thank you for the thoughtful words of constructive criticism and compliments!

I'm a little surprised that the GUI's getting the negative reception that it is, but... wait, actually, I guess I'm not. The problem is you sure as hell can't satisfy everybody, and yeah, people are really hung up on appearances to the exclusion of more important things. The extremity of the reaction is hard to understand, but I'm sympathetic and receptive to genuine concerns that are more based in objectivity than subjectivity.

I can still make improvements to the GUI, but I need to satisfy myself too and won't just be making concessions to the demands of others. I'll look into reworking and taming the gradients for starters.

Does your host not show the presets?? It comes with a sampling of different patches to cover a broad spectrum. Some of them are pretty cool and usable, others are just wild modulation fests for fun. My mantra is to not provide a full suite of patches but to encourage you to synthesize your own, but I definitely included some to get you started.

RyFi wrote:
skyscape wrote:Working fine in Renoise here, and I like it. I agree that the GUI is a bit ugly, but I think it is well thought out and functional and it won't deter me from using it. Sadly, a sexy UI will really help sell a plugin, it's amazing how hung up people get on it. A few small changes here and there and it wouldn't look too bad (agree that the way the gradients are done is making everything very busy). I couldn't find any presets, which is a shame too as I don't really know much about FM synthesis and some nice presets showing off the synth's range would help sell it too. Demoing still, but will likely purchase - price is good, interface is fine to work with - I already find it nicer to program than something like Dexed and I don't have FM8 so I guess I'm in the target audience here.
Thank you for the thoughtful words of constructive criticism and compliments!

I'm a little surprised that the GUI's getting the negative reception that it is, but... wait, actually, I guess I'm not. The problem is you sure as hell can't satisfy everybody, and yeah, people are really hung up on appearances to the exclusion of more important things. The extremity of the reaction is hard to understand, but I'm sympathetic and receptive to genuine concerns that are more based in objectivity than subjectivity.

I can still make improvements to the GUI, but I need to satisfy myself too and won't just be making concessions to the demands of others. I'll look into reworking and taming the gradients for starters.

Does your host not show the presets?? It comes with a sampling of different patches to cover a broad spectrum. Some of them are pretty cool and usable, others are just wild modulation fests for fun. My mantra is to not provide a full suite of patches but to encourage you to synthesize your own, but I definitely included some to get you started.
:dog: I was looking for the presets in the plugin itself, down the bottom - but the host does indeed load them. We'll put that one down to me not having had my morning coffee yet when I was demoing. Have purchased and looking forward to playing with it more :)

Glad to hear they're showing up for ya.

One very important thing for me is that you can use ratios. An fm synth without ratios is an aberration.

Will get future versions, but sorry, I can't help with debugging.

Then can you please tell me what display options you're using in Windows? I think your rendering issues are due to a non-default scaling % or DPI setting, but I can't fix anything if I don't know what's different on your system.

Return to “Instruments”