Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

ganym3d wrote:
chk071 wrote:Last time i checked, Beat mag didn't offer downloads for the digital version of the mag.
This one perhaps? https://www.falkemedia-shop.de/sound/iso-archiv/?p=1
Oh, that's nice. Hope that includes a digital version of the mag as well though. ;)

Edit: It does. All good.

chk071 wrote:
ganym3d wrote:
chk071 wrote:Last time i checked, Beat mag didn't offer downloads for the digital version of the mag.
This one perhaps? https://www.falkemedia-shop.de/sound/iso-archiv/?p=1
Oh, that's nice. Hope that includes a digital version of the mag as well though. ;)

Edit: It does. All good.
You bought it? That simple?

No, but i saw on the buying page that you indeed buy the mag and the ISO with the DVD content.

E.g.: https://www.falkemedia-shop.de/sound/be ... 8-ISO&c=83

Harry_HH wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: BTW, that CM issue contains on the page 37 a "cm synth roundup", collection of some best synth published as a cm version.

How to get those synths - I got the impression, that by purchasing one cm issue, you get access to the vault of earlier downloads. How does this work?
You get all those synths when you get the current issue 257. :) They're all inside the instrument download for the issue you get from FileSilo.
OK, thank you for the info. I haven't had time to check this, but is old CM Vault gone?
It included all the stuff published in history. The FileSilo instrument download can't include all (?)
CMVault is no longer used but you can transfer your issues registered there over to FileSilo - details are in the magazine. The "cm plug-ins" downloads (that is, not the one-off specials) are in FileSilo already.
I believed you got the whole cm plugin history (up to your purchased cm issue)automatically in the Vault.
I don't need to transfer my cm issues, but looking for the "search" of history plugins, can't find that search-function in the FileSilo. There are only the purchased issue stuff.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Some giveaway is only related to one issue, so you only get it if you buy this specific issue, like Z3ta+ for example, (but I don't know if Thorn CM is specific to the last issue only, or it will be added to the next issues as well!). Some are in every issue like Bazille CM, Zebra CM etc.

I think there also were some Tone2 giveaways (Warmverb, BiFilter, Filterbank), which were one time only. Unless that was Beat mag. At least, i do have them all, so, they must've been on some mag. :)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:As for interest wearing of: Thorn is one of the only synths that I've demoed in a long time that has really interested me :shrug: This 'lite' version will either satisfy that need, or eventually become indispensable enough that I jump for the real deal :tu:
When I originally demo'ed Thorn, being a fairly minimal kind of guy, I found the simpler patches were what interested me most, a lot of the full-fat ones seemed OTT to me. So I don't think the missing oscillator etc is a showstopper for me, it's the glitch seq and general sound that got my attention. So, thanks CM/Dmitry.

One thing I noticed with ThornCM; I know there was considerable debate about the GUI when Thorn came out (...) so nice to see scale options as well as the 'normal', 'large' etc options (maybe in full Thorn by now too). ThornCM at 110% looks great on my 1366*768 laptop screen.

Indeed. I had some issues with the GUI size on the initial release of Thorn on my 1366 x 768 laptop, but, looks great on 100 % "normal" scaling now.

GaryG wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:As for interest wearing of: Thorn is one of the only synths that I've demoed in a long time that has really interested me :shrug: This 'lite' version will either satisfy that need, or eventually become indispensable enough that I jump for the real deal :tu:
When I originally demo'ed Thorn, being a fairly minimal kind of guy, I found the simpler patches were what interested me most, a lot of the full-fat ones seemed OTT to me. So I don't think the missing oscillator etc is a showstopper for me, it's the glitch seq and general sound that got my attention. So, thanks CM/Dmitry.

One thing I noticed with ThornCM; I know there was considerable debate about the GUI when Thorn came out (...) so nice to see scale options as well as the 'normal', 'large' etc options (maybe in full Thorn by now too). ThornCM at 110% looks great on my 1366*768 laptop screen.
I remember having problems like everyone else with the initial sizing options i.e the large would not fit on my laptop screen. Now, if i minimise Logics plugin framework, and taking into account the missing oscillator, I can use it on 'Large'. With my newer 27" 1080 screen, the gui is a thing of beauty.

I actually initially really liked the sound. And seeing as I have don't really have anything with such a cutting (like, literally) -edge sound, I thought it would be a great addition. I remember spending ages just jamming with the 'Lead' bank, which contained so many fantastic patches, that were suitable for much more than just leads. Also, being an amateur at sound design, I found Thorn to offer many ways of radically altering the sound of patches with very little effort.

An all-round winner :tu:

chk071 wrote:No, but i saw on the buying page that you indeed buy the mag and the ISO with the DVD content.

E.g.: https://www.falkemedia-shop.de/sound/be ... 8-ISO&c=83
Well, I'm guessing your German is better than mine :ud: Maybe I should go for it :shrug:

It's really a bit confusing… you can choose either the print version, the digital version, OR the ISO. If the mag is on the ISO as a file, i can't see really. I have my doubts though, because, when you buy it at Google Play, Zinio, or iTunes, it's protected against distributing it to your friends, because you can only view it on the website, or with apps.

But then, if you don't speak German, the mag is useless for you anyway?

DarkStar wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:I'd buy it and use it, if only I can remove the ugly Computer Music logo from the GUI. Is that possible ?

I did that with UHE's Bazille CM version, in Photoshop. I don't use any plugin with cheap and tacky Computer Music branding on it.
? But you are happy to use the plug-ins that CM provides :dog:

+1 for what EnGee said.
As long as it's fully functional as is provided and doesn't have CM branding on it, but if it does have the CM branding logo on it and I can remove the computer music branding, I'll use it.

Here's one example... Bazille Without Computer Music Branding

It's probably why a lot of people don't buy this magazine, because they insist on plastering their ugly logo over every plugin.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:It's probably why a lot of people don't buy this magazine, because they insist on plastering their ugly logo over every plugin.
Yeah...Probably :scared:

chk071 wrote:It's really a bit confusing… you can choose either the print version, the digital version, OR the ISO. If the mag is on the ISO as a file, i can't see really. I have my doubts though, because, when you buy it at Google Play, Zinio, or iTunes, it's protected against distributing it to your friends, because you can only view it on the website, or with apps.

But then, if you don't speak German, the mag is useless for you anyway?
I don't have too much interest in the magazine. However, if you are having doubts it's not like I can verify what you are reading :?

I had the opportunity to cycle 10 miles into my nearest city, it almost killed me in the 20 degree heat in the very rural area..I live :D, picked up the 7 quid CM mag in question...in WH Smiths had a look at the pictures, said no to myself and put it back on the shelf. In case you're wondering, I didn't do a 20 mile round trip to look at this magazine lol, I had something more important to do haha..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Has anyone bought the 'Beat' version as the ISO from their website?

Return to “Instruments”