Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Greenstorm33
KVRian
642 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Has anyone bought the 'Beat' version as the ISO from their website?
I wanted to get the Beat version, but it appears to want an EU "shipping"/billing address even when purchasing the digital items, and I live in the US :?

chk071
KVRAF
22481 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am

THE INTRANCER wrote: As long as it's fully functional as is provided and doesn't have CM branding on it, but if it does have the CM branding logo on it and I can remove the computer music branding, I'll use it.

Here's one example... Bazille Without Computer Music Branding

It's probably why a lot of people don't buy this magazine, because they insist on plastering their ugly logo over every plugin.
I highly doubt that. :P

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15402 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 am

Greenstorm33 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Has anyone bought the 'Beat' version as the ISO from their website?
I wanted to get the Beat version, but it appears to want an EU "shipping"/billing address even when purchasing the digital items, and I live in the US :?
Oh, that's a shame :?

Greenstorm33
KVRian
642 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am

I put my US address and said it was a Great Britain address and it took it. Even autofilled my city when I put in my (US) postal code :lol: I'd volunteer to be the ISO Guinea Pig, but I think I'm going to wait and see if Dmitry does a June summer sale like last year with the $69 sale price, in which case I'll just buy the full synth.
Last edited by Greenstorm33 on Sat May 19, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15402 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 am

Greenstorm33 wrote:I put my US address and said it was a Great Britain address and it took it. Even autofilled my city when I put in my (US) postal code :lol: I'd volunteer to be the ISO Guinea Pig, but I think I'm going to wait and see if Dmitri does a June summer sale like last year with the $69 sale price, in which case I'll just buy the full synth.
:o :o

Fair play :tu:

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15402 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 am

Decided to load the page into 'Chrome' for translation. Glad that I did:

Image

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15402 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

Turns out I can get the magazine delivered for 11.50 euros, or 13 euros if I want a digital copy, also (Might be good for backup, and to get instant access etc.)

Is the Beat version fully-featured, just without the polyphony?

Greenstorm33
KVRian
642 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah, I saw that disclaimer, but the ISO picture makes it look like it's an image of the cover disk with all the software. It even says "Thorn Solo" on it. Plus, you get a discount when you add it to the cart at the same time as the digital magazine, which seems to imply that it is something other than the magazine itself.

chk071
KVRAF
22481 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Turns out I can get the magazine delivered for 11.50 euros, or 13 euros if I want a digital copy, also (Might be good for backup, and to get instant access etc.)

Is the Beat version fully-featured, just without the polyphony?
Just wondering, but... any specific reason you go for the Beat version, and not the CM version? For me, monophony is a major drawback.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15402 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm

chk071 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Turns out I can get the magazine delivered for 11.50 euros, or 13 euros if I want a digital copy, also (Might be good for backup, and to get instant access etc.)

Is the Beat version fully-featured, just without the polyphony?
Just wondering, but... any specific reason you go for the Beat version, and not the CM version? For me, monophony is a major drawback.
I already bought the CM version :tu:

As for monophony being a drawback: I used to feel exactly the same way, until I owned Repro-1. now i'm quite fascinated by having al that power and functionality driven into one note. I also now have no issue for a synth to take on specific duties, e.g leads etc. I find it no different to favouring a particular synth just for pads.

Anyway, my specific thinking with this would be to get as much useable functionality out of these lite versions to see if I would later upgrade. If it turned out that the Beat version was constrained in no other way but polyphony, it would have been worth getting. Of course, there's no way that he would give such a monster synth away.

It turns out that the Beat version has the second filter, but still misses the extra filter modes. It has the extra oscillator, but doesn't have the complete set of effects. I'm sure there are other things missing. Either way, I'm fine to just play with the CM version. And if I'm ever tempted to upgrade, I'll see if i can try the demo once again, just to be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1fj4G6Ezd8

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
2341 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:22 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Anyone else get the feeling that Dimitry will soon realise he submitted the wrong version? :scared:
:hihi: Yes, Thorn CM is too complete a synth.

User avatar
Harry_HH
KVRAF
3954 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm


User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
3219 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 am

Greenstorm33 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Has anyone bought the 'Beat' version as the ISO from their website?
I wanted to get the Beat version, but it appears to want an EU "shipping"/billing address even when purchasing the digital items, and I live in the US :?
That is pretty normal. But I dont think it means anything.
Don't be a Sheep. :borg: | Opinions matters :evil:

surreal
KVRian
1378 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Sat May 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Are the vst ids the same of these two plugins.. if they are my Daw will only read one of them.... :help:

chk071
KVRAF
22481 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn Beat v Thorn CM ?

Post Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Dunno about Thorn CM and Thorn Beat, but, i can use Thorn full and Thorn CM in Studio One, no conflict there.

Return to “Instruments”