I am about to purchase Sylenth1, any other synths to check before buying it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lethal

Are we there yet?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Sylenth1 and serum are a classic combo! Sylenth is just enough analog sounding to complement Serums more clinical sound.

Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

DJ Warmonger wrote:if you want presets, Dune 2 for instance has better.
Listen to this dude. He's a preset expert :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I would check:
Spire, for a typical digital "virtual analog" sound (soundwise a bit in the "Access Virus" direction)
Dune 2, for stacked/unison sounds (soundwise a bit in the "Roland" direction)
Both synth are IMO better than Sylenth.

Halonmusic wrote:Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.
It would be nice if they added PWM, but you can fake it by inverting one of the oscillators and modulating the phase.

Something else you might want to bear in mind, (Sylenth1, Serum, Synthmaster (all versions) here) is the CPU use, especially on high quality, some softsynths are really greedy.

Examigan wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.
It would be nice if they added PWM, but you can fake it by inverting one of the oscillators and modulating the phase.
I never found that it sounds the same as real PWM though. Neither in Sylenth1 nor in Monark, which also can do that "trick".

Check out Lethal, it's rompler, but it might be just the ticket.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Examigan wrote:
True, but would rather have real PWM :D
chk071 wrote:
Examigan wrote:

I never found that it sounds the same as real PWM though. Neither in Sylenth1 nor in Monark, which also can do that "trick".
This.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I was playing around today with Sylenth1 and although I wouldn't buy it for the full price (I bought it when in discount for $99), still it is really a great synth. Some other advantages for having Sylenth1 are:
1. The presets can be incremented or decremented from the midi controller (Program Change). Not all synths have that, and actually few have this very handy feature.
2. GUI resize. No need to restart the plugin. This is also means that Sylenth1 is 'Size' proof if buying 4k monitor!
3. It is almost perfect in stability! It is damn stable and there are always updates when they are needed. The last update was free with very nice skins ;)

I bought it after I bought Massive, Largo, Dune 2, (my previous Waldorf blofeld) and other wavetable synths! So, it wasn't for its VA sound and the lovely clear design.

Examigan wrote:
Is it so difficult to implement those two things? Or does he just not want to change his synth anymore beyond maintenance updates?

Probably not.

PWM has been requested for a long time now, along with many other ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=411112

Examigan wrote:PWM has been requested for a long time now, along with many other ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=411112
Had to giggle a bit about that thread, TBH. Has Lennard EVER implemented anything suggested in that thread? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”