Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JUCE VST 3 Plug-in Development Host VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

whyterabbyt wrote:
We appreciate that developers and users alike gravitate strongly toward the VST 3 interface that comes with many technological advancements.
bollocks.
My thoughts exactly.

If anything its exactly the other way around, so why say that and even use the word 'strongly' when everyone knows its just not true.

Doesnt make any sense.

I want to make sure I understand the implications of this.

Are they saying that future versions of Cubase will no longer support VST 2? And if so, in other words, if you have any VSTs that don't have VST 3 versions, they won't run?

Maybe Ableton should make another plug-in standard. They have the market share to make it successful. Maybe work along NI.
dedication to flying

wagtunes wrote:I want to make sure I understand the implications of this.

Are they saying that future versions of Cubase will no longer support VST 2? And if so, in other words, if you have any VSTs that don't have VST 3 versions, they won't run?
No, they're saying the exact opposite. VST2 will still be supported in Steinberg products, but VST3 SDK won't come with VST2 backport in it any longer (meaning new developers won't be able to code VST2 plugins, unless they get the SDK via another means).

What is Steinberg?
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

VST2 will continue to work for now but i bet you dollars to doughnuts it wont be too long until the hammer drops on Cubase too.

(The way things are going, if i had to hazard a guess i would say maybe 2 or 3 more years and it will be history.)

EvilDragon wrote:

No, they're saying the exact opposite. VST2 will still be supported in Steinberg products, but VST3 SDK won't come with VST2 backport in it any longer (meaning new developers won't be able to code VST2 plugins, unless they get the SDK via another means).
So then this will ONLY affect DAWs that don't support VST 3 for new VSTs that are only made in VST 3. Correct?

If so, in that case, since my Cubase 7 supports both VST 2 and VST 3, this won't affect me at all.

Gamma-UT wrote:
EnGee wrote:so what the plugins developer should do?!
Work on a standard where they're not held hostage by a single vendor. It's not a realistic option but it's the only one that will sort out this mess.
*cough*

Caine123 wrote:Ppl should realise how bad steinberg is and should not take a lead ;).
Cubase feels still so clunky i wonder why it is so loved....
To you maybe, in the same way your DAW choice would feel clunky to me I suspect. You learn something well enough so "thought is not and creativity is". Cubase 9 is superb.

Erasing DAW operational transparency by the end user is no small detail for making music and creativity. If producing, composing and completing actual full productions is your goal.
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avid is the worst, but stienberg is right behind them. I have no idea why anyone uses either one TBH, other then they started with what they were sold was an industry standard at the time and are now too lazy or incapable of switching. Just go reaper kids, unless you are pumping out content for kidsondrugs festivals at a rate of 10 per day by algorithm... then ableton is probably the best.

Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.

Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.
*ahem*

Studio one is pretty nice too IMO.

Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.
https://xkcd.com/927/
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Classic :D

Return to “Instruments”