Biotek 2 Available Now

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
13342 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:13 am

Okay, now that the dust has settled, decided to purchase Biotek 2 without demoing it. Haven't found anything major yet.

This will most likely be my last synth purchase ever. I am truly done. There is nothing else that I want or need. Flexion is never coming out and I've resigned myself to that fact. And my ultimate dream modular synth isn't getting made anytime soon either. So this is it.

Only things left for me to buy this year, that I'm demoing now, are VLS VI Pro 2 and MIR Pro 24. Will be getting them shortly and then I am done. No more money spent for the rest of this year. That is a promise.

Unless they come out with a new great sounding Vocaloid. Unlikely as Vocaloid development is painfully slow. In fact, we might not see a new Vocaloid until 2020.

Anyway, Biotek 2 is one deep MF. I can get lost in that mod matrix for hours.

Off to play. Bye.

nichttuntun
KVRist
479 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Biotek 2 Available Now

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 am

wagtunes wrote:NVM. Fixed it.
NVM? What does that mean.

Cool that you fixed it. Please consider taking much time for this excellent instrument to really work yourself deep into it. I am sure you will love it possibility- and soundwise. :tu: :party:

I think similar as you now. With all I have and with the latest entries BIOTEK2 and WAVERAZOR 2.0 I really ask myself if I need something else. These both synth make many other synth totally obsolete. :hihi:

Arcvidean
KVRist
223 posts since 23 Feb, 2006 from Dematerialising

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:36 am

I Can't get the demo to work for the same reasons as Wagtunes. I tried offline first but the drop down menu for 'software version' wasn't working (required field) so I had to get my Ethernet cable extension out (reluctantly) and unwind it downstairs and across the house to go online. I registered Biotek 2 at Traktion and got to download the Biotek content but it was still locked and I've now had enough. These days I have a zero tolerance policy against anything that messes things up.

Recently I reinstalled some software and all 3 Arturia products (MiniV ProphetV and Minifilter) wouldn't read their activation files. Two Native instruments products (FM8 and Vokator) wouldn't read their activation files and two Fxpansion products (Dcam and Tremor) wouldn't authorise because they couldn't connect to the internet even though there was nothing wrong with the internet connection. All were C/R copy protection. Anyway I'm slinging them all now as I can't be bothered. I've been using VST software since 2003 and I've never had so much #### before.

If anyone wants to buy them at cut down prices just PM me'

Arcvidean.

mevla
KVRAF
1596 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 am

Biotek 2: Load the 'Lost Church' preset (enter 'church' in the search box to find it promptly). It's all made of sine waves. Hear the reverb. In the Filter/Amp section, bring down the Amp -> Effects to 0. Play some notes. Hear the reverb. In the effects section, disable all effects. Play some notes. Do you still hear the reverb ? Here there's still plenty of reverb. Is Biotek 2 such a wonder that it can generate reverb out of only sine waves ?

Cheers.

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 am

I'll check that preset and do as you advice. And I'll report back.

I don't know yet if it is a FM patch, I assume so due to the fact that it has sine waves as a base...sine based FM is capable of such soft and subtle sound sustains that you will have the illusion it is a high quality reverb. As said I'll check and report back. :)

mevla
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 am

True, FM can do some of that. But this is, how can I say, cathedral size ! :)

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:32 am

:D I'll check I two hours or so....

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4274 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm

mevla wrote:Biotek 2: Load the 'Lost Church' preset (enter 'church' in the search box to find it promptly). It's all made of sine waves. Hear the reverb. In the Filter/Amp section, bring down the Amp -> Effects to 0. Play some notes. Hear the reverb. In the effects section, disable all effects. Play some notes. Do you still hear the reverb ? Here there's still plenty of reverb. Is Biotek 2 such a wonder that it can generate reverb out of only sine waves ?

Cheers.
Did you turn the reverb off on both layers or take the FX mix to 0 on the macro page? Because it sounds like a regular organ without reverb if you do.

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi again,
Gamma UT was faster, yeah thats exactly what I figured out too in that Church patch.

You have to keep in mind that Biotek 2 is a sound-design monster and it offers all the envelopes, LFOs AND effects for each and every layer.

Switch off the reverb on second layer too and its gone :)
Happy modulating :) :tu:
Last edited by nichttuntun on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:11 pm

What's not clear for me is that both Amp --> Effects are at 0 (see below) but there's still reverb. For the reverb to totally go away I had to lower the Effects Mix on the Wild Page. Try it. Notice also that the 4 Effects on the Wild page are at 0, and there's still reverb until the Effects Mix slider is down at 0.

It's not clear because when I start to create sounds it looks as if controls on the Wild page can override the sound creation parameters as seen in the Edit pages, which is kind of going against the principle that the Wild page is created by the sound creator for the user.

Actually, I would rather think this is a bug. Don't you think there's something fishy there with all FX volumes in the Edit pages and Wild pages (except the Effects Mix slider) at 0 but still hearing reverb ?

Cheers.

For that matter, should all modulation assignments be turned off when a modulated parameter is manually put at 0 ?
lostChurch-layer1.jpg
lostChurch-layer2.jpg
lostChurch-Wild.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4274 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Right-click on the red triangles - that shows the modulators for that control: one of them will be a Macro #.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes, this is why I asked in the previous reply:

For that matter, should all modulation assignments be turned off when a modulated parameter is manually put at 0 ?

The 002 macro has to do with Osc 2 Pitch though. Since there's no Osc 2 'Pitch' parameter it could be 'Sync Pitch' although if the 002 macro is put at 0% (for both sounds 1 and 2) there's still plenty of reverb.

It still seems that the Master Effects Mix on the Wild page has an override capacity in sound creation.

BTW, I did program from scratch a few sounds in the Biotek 1 synth that I got a few days after it was released.

Cheers.

Examigan
KVRAF
4288 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:58 am

I was just checking out BioTek 2 this morning. On their website it mentions it's capable of unlimited layers, but it seems to have "only" up to 12. I don't see a way to add more than 12, or maybe it is letting me add 13 or 14, etc... and I just don't see the others after #12. I thought it might let me scroll at the left side to see more towards the bottom of the list of layers, and they just aren't visible at the moment.

I would probably never use more than 3 or 4 layers :hihi: but I was just wondering if is possible. It would of course be "limited" to how much the CPU can take.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:40 am

At four oscillators/samples per layer, 12 would make 48 of them. Add to this the LFOs, the modulation slots, and everything else. Well, I'd be curious to hear how creative 12 layers can be. IMHO it would at least take a month to program such a sound. And it could be that the creative capabilities of the sound creator would dissipate way before the 12th layer. :?

Examigan
KVRAF
4288 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:30 am

mevla wrote:At four oscillators/samples per layer, 12 would make 48 of them. Add to this the LFOs, the modulation slots, and everything else. Well, I'd be curious to hear how creative 12 layers can be. IMHO it would at least take a month to program such a sound. And it could be that the creative capabilities of the sound creator would dissipate way before the 12th layer. :?
I am not complaining at all and I think it's awesome the way it is actually. :) 12 layers is more than enough for me, as I probably won't use all of them anyway. Like you said, it would be an interesting experiment to see how complex a preset could be with that many layers.

Return to “Instruments”