1931 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

See link I added above.

wagtunes
KVRAF
13395 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am

thejonsolo wrote:See link I added above.
Thanks. See my post edit. LOL

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am

thejonsolo wrote:See link I added above.
I'm assuming you actually own VSL stuff? Your opinion?

thejonsolo
KVRAF
1931 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 pm

I used it a few years ago at another studio. High quality, and demanding of my abilities. But I loved the control and sound.

VSL is probably the only orchestral thing I DO NOT own, ha ha. I may cross that bridge one day. But I realized there is not much I cannot do with the plethora of what I have.

zenophilix
KVRian
729 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Garritan Personal Orchestra and Sonivox Orchestral Companion both go on sale from time to time, and both sound pretty great. Believe the Sonivox stuff is on sale at PluginBoutique at the moment.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm

zenophilix wrote:Garritan Personal Orchestra and Sonivox Orchestral Companion both go on sale from time to time, and both sound okay. Believe the Sonivox stuff is on sale at PluginBoutique at the moment.
I fixed that for you.

jancivil
KVRAF
15356 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm

---
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:You are seeing Vienna Ensemble Pro 6. She is talking about Vienna Instruments Pro 2. Two different products.
Except I don't see a Vienna Instruments Pro 2 anywhere on their site.

It just says Pro.

** EDIT ** Okay, if you open up the link and go to the side of the page where it lists the price, that's where it includes the version number. But it's not on the main page.
all one page here.

30-day demo is totally unrestricted, full use of...
This is going to sound like a stupid question but a 30 day demo doesn't really do you any good if you don't have a sound source. The player is just that, a player. Correct? So I would actually have to purchase one of the libraries to make use of the demo.

Yes, no? Am I missing something?

jancivil
KVRAF
15356 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm operating under the assumption you're going to buy the things.
I don't really think given the CONTEXT it was such a stupid suggestion.

I'm out. You're welcome, btw.

zenophilix
KVRian
729 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 pm

wagtunes wrote:
zenophilix wrote:Garritan Personal Orchestra and Sonivox Orchestral Companion both go on sale from time to time, and both sound okay. Believe the Sonivox stuff is on sale at PluginBoutique at the moment.
I fixed that for you.
My bad, must have been reading two things at once, thought OP was looking for budget-friendly options. :dog:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 am

jancivil wrote:I'm operating under the assumption you're going to buy the things.
I don't really think given the CONTEXT it was such a stupid suggestion.

I'm out. You're welcome, btw.
I'm sorry. I wasn't suggesting that your suggestion was stupid. I am very grateful for all your help. In fact, I probably wouldn't even be doing this without your praise of their products. I just wanted to confirm that downloading the demo of the player wouldn't be sufficient on its own and that I would have to make at least one purchase in order to test it out. Yes, it would be nice if they could give us a small library to test with but I understand that's probably not feasible.

Anyway, I will handle it from here on in. I think at this stage I know what I need to do and am very much looking forward to owning some of this stuff. I am sure it will be a much more rewarding experience than struggling with EWQL Play engine.

Thank you again for all your help.

Jelly
KVRist
98 posts since 7 Apr, 2002 from Belfast

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 pm

I’m certainly no expert, but due to the current crossgrade offer from Komplete 11 (K11 standard version qualifies) I just picked up NI Symphony Series Collection. It’s absolutely fantastic! Dead easy to use, and great sounding.
The only other orchestral libraries I have are the Kontakt factory library VSL (which I really like) and Hollywood Gold (I like the sounds but just find it too confusing and unintuitive)
Oh, and I also had the Symphony Essentials when I owned K11 Ultimate for a while before selling it - the full versions are better both in flexibility (articulations, legato, divisi etc) and sound quality (with the extra mics switched on) but, importantly, just as easy to use.
Hope this helps someone.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:14 am

^^^ thanks .. I was just going to post about the NI products - I want to start trying my hand at some cinematic and am waffling between

- upgrading to Ultimate now so I get the essentials but more importantly the Heavyocity stuff for FX
- upgrade to full symphony series now and to ultimate in a year, make due with samples and synths in the meantime
- skip NI altogether and purchase best of breed individual packages

I have Albion One, Komplete and Zebra 2.

padillac
KVRian
569 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 am

I got into this thread prompted by the symphony series offer as well. I skipped it because:

- no solo strings
- ensemble strings offer no more articulations, just more mic positions
- each component (strings, woodwinds, brass, perc) is recorded in a different location by a different developer

I think on the surface it looks good, but I want more consistency and control than I think it offers. I was tempted by the upgrade pretty hard but ultimately decided I’d rather put that money towards something that’s a better fit for me.

Dewdman42
KVRian
1478 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am

Just want to say that I recently threw down for a fairly substantial VSL "starting" setup. I got VSL Cube Std + Mir Pro + roompacks 2 and 6, plus Instrument Pro and Ensemble Pro. It all came to about $3000. It is a lot to spend and I waffled around on it for a very long time, but in the end I decided that I wanted those tools. I have spent more than that on physical keyboards and music hardware 10 times over, so really its only expensive because we are comparing it to other products that are a fraction the price. But truthfully...none of the other products can compete with the power of VSL when it comes to absolute orchestrational control. Most of the other products out there can produce great sound with less fuss, but are further away from true orchestration then VSL is. Even GPO would be better product then EWQL SO for learning orchestration in my opinion...or Kirk Hunter. But that's just me.

@wagtunes, one of the most compelling reasons I decided I wanted to make this investment was because of Instrument Pro. So definitely get it. In my view that is one of the most important reasons to get VSL at all, the instrument pro player. It provides so much control, and in the "right" way for this kind of work. I'm very impressed by it and I'm just barely getting into it, its deep and I'm looking forward to the journey.

Regarding whether to go with the special edition vs the std cube stuff, I waffled around on that for a while also...and finally decided to just throw down for Cube. Truthfully, the list of special edition instruments you are listing off are more complete in terms of articulations, etc.. then what I got in CubeStd...but with less layers or other aspects that make them perhaps less sonically deep. I think the VSL special edition is excellent value as a starter setup, and what I would have recommended for the OP of this thread, but he already bought EWQL HO Gold, which I also have and he's on his way that way, its fine. But the VSL Special Edition truthfully will offer a more complete orchestrational palette from which to learn orchestration and dive into the VSL world...and using the Instrument pro to its fullest also will be great.

I decided on Cube Std, even though its less articulations, because I know in the long run that is the route I will end up and the special edition stuff does not upgrade well to the std and full stuff at VSL.. you will end up spending a lot more in the long run that way if you end up eventually going for the STD and FULL libraries. I decided I could live with less articulations of CubeStd and I will add specific FULL libraries if and when I come across cases where I need more articulations that aren't covered in the Cube Std.

Also with all VSL libraries, they are very very dry. One of the beautiful things about EWQL HO Diamond is the stage placement is baked into the samples with the mic positions and so its very easy to get a hollywood stage sound with just some IR space added on top, it sounds terrific. Not so with VSL you have to engineer the stage sound using other products. That includes soundstage placement and overall reverb and everything. After much research on this I decided that MIR Pro was the way to go, yes its also not inexpensive, but basically VEP supports it very well and its a very nice product and offers a lot more sonic flexibility ultimately then the baked in sound of EWQL HO Diamond. It doesn't even come with great presets or anything, so i have some work to do to learn that product and create some stage presets that I like, but ultimately it will end up providing the same kind of sound that you hear on EWQL HO, but with the option to have other stages that are completely different. Smaller venues, intimate settings, classical stage vs hollywood recording room, etc.. this is all possible with MIR Pro...meanwhile the VSL instruments themselves are focused more on the orchestration itself rather then the soundstage...

To the OP, if he's still reading this, I think he made a solid choice given his budget. I bought EWQL HO for the same reason and I intend to still use it! I also own GPO and a lot of Kirk Hunter stuff, all of which may find some use. Personally I think GPO would be the right choice for learning orchestration on a budget. Followed by Kirk Hunter. I feel the EWQL stuff will definitely sound better, but will discourage proper orchestration learning. my 2 cents on that.

Return to “Instruments”