KOMPLETE 12 & 12 ULTIMATE Leak! Massive X Synthesizer, Kontakt 6...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
machinesworking
KVRian
1308 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 pm

They upgraded the Komplete Control S88. It now has the LED screens, was hoping they would do that. In the mean time I got a perfectly fine MPK88, had it come out a couple months earlier....

deastman
KVRAF
6788 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: KOMPLETE 12 & 12 ULTIMATE Leak! Massive X Synthesizer, Kontakt 6...

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:59 pm

VitaminD wrote:
I'm so tired of NI throwing in more soundware shovelware into the package. It was the synths that made the company what it is... I wish they'd respect that more. I keep skipping upgrade versions because it is more junk added to the bundle that I never wanted. All I want are soft synth upgrades (and not tied to Reaktor or Kontakt).
Yes, the synths were what made NI. But these days there are lots of good synths around. Samples are what continue to sustain the company, and have been for years now. It’s a little like continuing to complain about how MTV doesn’t play music videos anymore.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

mholloway
KVRian
963 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:19 pm

deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
I'm so tired of NI throwing in more soundware shovelware into the package. It was the synths that made the company what it is... I wish they'd respect that more. I keep skipping upgrade versions because it is more junk added to the bundle that I never wanted. All I want are soft synth upgrades (and not tied to Reaktor or Kontakt).
Yes, the synths were what made NI. But these days there are lots of good synths around. Samples are what continue to sustain the company, and have been for years now. It’s a little like continuing to complain about how MTV doesn’t play music videos anymore.

Neither of you have a blithering clue what "made" NI a successful business or what currently "sustains" their business, so stop talking out of your assess.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

ATS
KVRAF
5969 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm

mholloway wrote:
deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:

Neither of you have a blithering clue what "made" NI a successful business or what currently "sustains" their business, so stop talking out of your assess.

All they had at the start were synths, so how would that not make them?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!
8634 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from a state of confusion

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 pm

mholloway wrote:
deastman wrote:
VitaminD wrote:

You're the one posting such gems as this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=509697&p=7144658#p7144658

Relax and try not to take the comments about a company to heart... they're not family.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2355 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 pm

EvilDragon wrote:Backwards compatibility is priority #1 for NI, so even if GUI changes, you'll still be able to load all your libraries from previous versions. And yes, they would look exactly the same.

I wouldn't say Kontakt is a victim of its own success, it's more likely that it's a victim of a number of things happening within NI internally throughout the years.
Perhaps NI should think about freezing the current Kontakt in terms of backwards compatibility and release a Kontakt X rewritten from scratch with all new features which makes a market leader...

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

ATS
KVRAF
5969 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 pm

anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17064 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Backwards compatibility is priority #1 for NI, so even if GUI changes, you'll still be able to load all your libraries from previous versions. And yes, they would look exactly the same.

I wouldn't say Kontakt is a victim of its own success, it's more likely that it's a victim of a number of things happening within NI internally throughout the years.
Perhaps NI should think about freezing the current Kontakt in terms of backwards compatibility and release a Kontakt X rewritten from scratch with all new features which makes a market leader...
Rewriting Kontakt from scratch won't happen I'm pretty sure.

mutantdog
KVRAF
1739 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from The Infinite Void

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:10 am

Does anyone know if these expansions need to be installed in their entirety or if it's possible to just install the Battery kits and presets from each?

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2355 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 am

mutantdog wrote:Does anyone know if these expansions need to be installed in their entirety or if it's possible to just install the Battery kits and presets from each?
You can delete the not used parts / subfolders after installation. No problem.

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

felis
KVRist
373 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:29 am

ATS wrote:anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?
I put some of the libraries on a second hard drive on my desktop.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29802 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 am

felis wrote:
ATS wrote:anyone know if it's possible to install the libraries on 2 hard drives or do they all have to be on the same one?
I put some of the libraries on a second hard drive on my desktop.
Yes me too - they don't all fit on my 500GB SSD so some are on my Firewire drive, they all load via quickload so I don't need to browse around.

glokraw
KVRAF
6524 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:35 am

Feature-freezing Kontakt seems sensible, in light of the
difficulties mentioned.

A business decision to make ready a modern replacement can be
based on the simple math of sales, sales trends,
new hardware advancements, and the projected competition.
(I'd want to know what's brewing in the Camel office over
at Apple headquarters, for one...worry when it's too quiet :wink: )

But the NI owner(s?) may also have personal and artistic concerns,
which dominate the financials. At the end of the work week,
you want to feel proud of the teams accomplishments,
on the way to the bank.
Cheers

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6172 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 pm

It’s a bit annoying that they make a v6 of kontakt when it clearly isn’t needed, because is it a separate plugin? Meaning old producers with kontakt wouldn’t be automatically replaced when you install the new kontakt, so you end up needing both the old one and the new one. For what reason? Couldn’t they have added the small number of new features to the existing one? No need for a new vst name. And I think they know it because they hardly promoted the new kontakt since there is barely anything worth talking about. Only do a new version when you really need to.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17064 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:48 pm

They've been adding small and not so small number of new features for 6 years into Kontakt 5, making it the single most long-lived version number of Kontakt ever. At some point you gotta make the cut. :)

Also, this time around, there's no version number in the plugin name. It's just "Kontakt". Maybe that means we're going for more continuous/agile update cycles from this point onward, and no "Kontakt 7" or others ("this is the last version of Windows, ever"), I guess time will tell.

Return to “Instruments”