KOMPLETE 12 & 12 ULTIMATE Leak! Massive X Synthesizer, Kontakt 6...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
13275 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:01 am

I don't know. I guess I must be an oddball. I like using Kontakt. It's compact. The tabs are easy to navigate. I know where everything is. I did a whole CD that was essentially Kontakt based sampling. It's called "The Reflecting Pool" and you can find it up on Soundcloud. One of the most fun things I've done with any piece of software that I own. I'm fine with Kontakt just the way it is.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16904 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: KOMPLETE 12 & 12 ULTIMATE Leak! Massive X Synthesizer, Kontakt 6...

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 am

You're also not a new kid on the block easily swayed by shiny GUIs and "this monitor has more pixels than my retina has receptors to discern those pixels with". :P

SLiC
KVRAF
2780 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 am

For creative sampling and synthesis Falcon and Halion are both very good. Kontakt however has some of the very best libraries and instruments available as it is pretty much an industry standard. Its an industry standard as it has been around a long time, that can make it difficult to change at its core (Like the old Irish joke getting about getting directions from a local...''if you want to go there I wouldn't start from here'') where as 'new' software pretty much comes with GUI scaling etc. baked in (or it should!!)

One more thought on creative sampling, the built in Samplers in DAWS are often overlooked, the Sampler in Bitwig is now about as good as any creative 'sampler' when linked with the modulators (granular, freeze, cycle and all sorts of creative tricks, check this out https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/lea ... orial.html), and the sampler in Studio One is a very strait forward if you want something more like the old hardware sampers….it even samples audio, tracks and VST's and is pretty much foolproof! ;-)
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps

digitalboytn
KVRian
1194 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 am

Creative "sampling" is a great concept,but it is only possible in a sampler that actually "samples" :wink:

I don't want to get into an argument over the semantics of the word sampling here either...

Kontakt has never ever been able to sample anything...

So Kontakt's role as a sample playback engine is is very clearly defined and it does that very well :party:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:56 am

kmonkey wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm
I think he (EvilDragon) is biased like crazy biased toward NI.
... or just happens to like NI's products. :shrug:

Dunno why it's always that black/white stuff. Fanboy or hater. Too much one dimensional thinking really.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:00 am

No, I can certainly be considered as very heavily biased towards NI products. And u-he products. And Tokyo Dawn Labs products. And Waldorf products. And Toontrack products. And Kazrog products. And Korg products. And Modartt products. And TAL products. And UVI products. And ValhallaDSP products. And Roland products. And Klanghelm products. And...

:lol:

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29640 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:45 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:56 am
kmonkey wrote:
I think he (EvilDragon) is biased like crazy biased toward NI.
... or just happens to like NI's products. :shrug:

Dunno why it's always that black/white stuff. Fanboy or hater. Too much one dimensional thinking really.
besides if you use something a lot, especially if one's business depends on it, you become more aware of limitations and more invested in doing something about them, it would be counter productive to be glossing them over. However 'doing something about them' doesn't necessarily mean complaining on internet boards, there are far more constructive ways of engaging with companies like u-he and NI as ED and I both know. At the same time because you are so invested you also don't give up and throw your tools in the toy box over every little frustration, you find ways to make them work for you and work around limitations, and help others to do the same (which sometimes I think is what gets interpreted as being an NI advocate in a one-sided way but I know from my own experience that is not what it is).

vurt
addled muppet weed
37124 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 am

i suppose if he was truly evil, he'd be working on vts transfer for mind control rather than synths n stuff.
unless of course he's looking for sounds that can kill (or make you poop in public) which is pretty evil.

ill check the interview for clues about any plans for world domination!

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 am

I definitely have a brown noise sample somewhere (South Park reference). ;)

vurt
addled muppet weed
37124 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 am

kmonkey wrote:

Anyway judging person by avatar photo or name is stupid. On top of that after seeing his real photos i think he kinda look (face shape) like Joaquin Phoenix which is very very cool hehehe
here at the bfi we take our profiling methods very seriously!

menthol
KVRist
43 posts since 1 Jul, 2009 from New York

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:03 am

anomandaris1 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 am
Atlatnesiti wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:54 am

No negativity here, but is it really worth for me to upgrade from ver.10 to 12 for $599 AU? Ultimate edition
I have the latest Reaktor 6 and Razor installed already and don’t care much about the content as I tend to create my own soundscapes from scratch anyway.
Skip it, if you don't need the new stuff included in it... You can upgrade when they release Komplete 13 (or whater they call it, if they are superstitious).
Is it a given that all those K12U expansions will also be included in K13U? That's what has me on the fence.

jancivil
KVRAF
15319 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 am

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:54 am
jancivil wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 am
Yeah. This place has a lot of negativity. It matters to people who don't have enough computer to run Reaktor, one
No negativity here, but is it really worth for me to upgrade from ver.10 to 12 for $599 AU? Ultimate edition
I have the latest Reaktor 6 and Razor installed already and don’t care much about the content as I tend to create my own soundscapes from scratch anyway.
Btw; just today I have received “not installed” update for Kontakt ver. 6.02
I almost bought Komplete (regular) at 50% off but I had to choose between it and VSL Synchron FX Strings I for the same money, which was also expiring at the same time. I have too much of Komplete individually so this was the first time it was compelling enough to be a real consideration. So no, $599 is a lot of money to me period. I'm not being Negative Nancy like I mean there to say it, it's reality. Frankly Ultimate is where I get interested and it's always too much money. I have a false economy, yes; not enough buying power spending in dribs and drabs when at the end of the day it would all have cost less.

I did pre-order K6. I'm one of the few excited about that here, that's what I mean, all this dismissive stuff, people try hard to dislike here. It's understandable, but just sayin'.

anomandaris1
KVRist
245 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 am

menthol wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:03 am

Is it a given that all those K12U expansions will also be included in K13U? That's what has me on the fence.
I doubt that they will discontinue a product without replacement... Komplete is growing with every release. (Btw, I don't think that some of their sampled stuff is that good - compared to other sample companies, - but it's a steal for the price in a such bundle - probably it is perfect for people that don't already own too big collection of instruments/samples )

dangayle
KVRian
726 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am

lobanov wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:50 am
Have you read this blog post by Chicken Systems?

Kontakt 6 - You WIll Be Locked In

Don’t get me started on Chicken Systems. Their software is barely useable at best.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29640 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:00 pm

dangayle wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am
lobanov wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:50 am
Have you read this blog post by Chicken Systems?

Kontakt 6 - You WIll Be Locked In

Don’t get me started on Chicken Systems. Their software is barely useable at best.
I can't see how conversion of Kontakt patches would be much use anyway, the ones most worth having in Kontakt are heavily scripted stuff like Soniccouture that conversion would be meaningless for. At one time when sample libraries were more basic affairs this made sense but not these days and for simple sampled instruments, if I was bothered, I'd probably build them in something like Nuance which can handle sfz and common formats already.

Return to “Instruments”