One Synth Challenge #112: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
The Chase
KVRAF
10535 posts since 13 Jun, 2004 from Alberto Balsam

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Updated! A bit better.

https://soundcloud.com/starvoltofficial ... ase-noverb

edit: okay this time foreal

edit 2: this time foreal foreal

edit 3: Final upload.

Medniex
KVRist
65 posts since 16 Apr, 2017 from Rīga

Re: One Synth Challenge #112: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Ok, my one and only submission just become a final submission since I didn't had time to do anything more. Just added all the necessary details and permissions and edited initial post. I hope that changing the cover art after deadline is still allowed :D
KO :ud:

L-EctroBit
KVRist
55 posts since 1 Oct, 2015

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 pm

My entry this month.

https://soundcloud.com/l-ectrobit/l-ect ... ean-osc112

This time I made a track with Cakewalk by Bandlab. This is my first attempt with Cakewalk, so I only used the stock plugins. I enjoyed the experience with this free daw.

Synth1 x 35
DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab

FX Plugins:

Sonitus Reverb
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Equalizer
Boost11
TH3 (little saturation)
ProChannel FX: Compressor, EQ, TUBE, Console Emulator Channel, Breverb 2, Style Dial FX (Depth, Space).

574X
KVRist
213 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 am

Oh I forgot that another reason I stopped posting project files is because it makes more sense to post them if I've won this competition. Winning somewhat indicates a high quality of production, which would be valuable if shared. This stuff always comes out much worse than I anticipate...

https://soundcloud.com/unknownchallenge ... -kvrosc112

I created all the patches from init, which of course is part of the problem.

Mvt. 1 Has ~31 instances. A few of them have NastyVCS on them and there are NastVCSs on the busses, including for sidechaining. There's a ReaEQ on the Reese bus and a couple on the master. In both movements, ReaJS Stereo Enhancer is used to make <150 Hz mono, although Mvt. 1 has the pop mixing technique of widening automation and also makes use of the ReaJS Encoder and Decoder to allow for ReaEQs to shape the mid and sides, such that there is a pleasing mono mix. ReaEQ, ReaComp, Aradaz Maximizer, and Unlimited were used for Mastering (despite ReaPlugs being abandoned for years. Well, it's much faster than using Melda's cumbersome MEqualizer, though it's still one of the best EQs. This was produced in Reaper, anyway).

Mvt. 2 Has ~29 instances, again most of which are individually dry. Some have a couple plugins. It's mixed with a few ReaJS 3-Band Peak Filters, and parrallel DC12A on the main busses, a CompressivePro on a lead, one ReaComp for sidechaining and master glue, a ReaJS RBJ 1073 EQ and a ReaEQ to brighten the master, Aradaz Maximizer on the drums and Unlimited to compress the last couple dB. A couple instances of Dimension Plus inserts provide reverb on some core elements like drums and lead.

As far as notable sound design, I made use of some interesting Synth1 features... Off the top of my head, a phaser on the noise swell riser, a variety of fm pwm combinations, the compressor, the sample rate and bit reduction, delays set to emulate reverb, etc...
I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini

574X
KVRist
213 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Re: One Synth Challenge #112: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Voting Time!)

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:25 am

Hmm... ded thred :/

Well, on the other hand there's a compelling argument to consider, that a wise man once told me, "!@#$ it."

Maybe a producer will stumble across this piece and feel so inspired to solve the glaring issues...

Actually, one of the patches was made in the previous month, when I was making synth drum sample packs. I wanted to try it out. It's a pretty special kick to me because of how many I made before I was suddenly blown away by it. It uses both a resonant filter and pitch envelope, both filter saturation and the digital distortion, and has a giant mid scoop.

Also, I think I used the amazing Modern Apophis on a bus somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I prefer to work on records that aspire to greater things, like originality, personality and enthusiasm. - Steve Albini

ckoe
KVRist
116 posts since 26 Sep, 2017 from Berlin

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 am

voted

spidergod
KVRian
792 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:02 am

Anyone else having problems with the voting screen?, I cannot log in or register, have tried firefox and chrome.

trancemaster1339
KVRer
14 posts since 15 Dec, 2007

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 am

No problems here. Using chrome on android 7.

trancemaster1339
KVRer
14 posts since 15 Dec, 2007

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 am

When will the points be shown? At the end or during?

ThePresent
KVRist
408 posts since 17 Dec, 2013 from The Netherlands

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 am

trancemaster1339 wrote:When will the points be shown? At the end or during?
At the end, in detail ;)

spidergod
KVRian

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:24 am

trancemaster1339 wrote:No problems here. Using chrome on android 7.
I think I will try on my ipad and safari, as I cannot get it to work with any browser on my pc (chrome,firefox or edge).
Have cleared cache, cookies and cleared the dns cache as well.

Very bizarre

ThePresent
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 am

spidergod wrote:Anyone else having problems with the voting screen?, I cannot log in or register, have tried firefox and chrome.
Same here :roll:

ThePresent
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 am

ThePresent wrote:
spidergod wrote:Anyone else having problems with the voting screen?, I cannot log in or register, have tried firefox and chrome.
also not on iphone
Yesterday it worked perfectly. :dog:

spidergod
KVRian

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 am

ThePresent wrote:
ThePresent wrote:
also not on iphone
Yesterday it worked perfectly. :dog:
How very bizarre.
I have sent a message to bjporter, so will see what happens.

doctorbob
KVRian
1154 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:00 am

Working just fine for me just this second! MS Edge!

dB

Return to “Instruments”