Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am

And again, forget about all that payment crap. I have to manually map every single sample I download. There are no kits. Nothing is done for you. So you're talking about spending an enormous amount of time to get the same number of kits that Beatskillz provides, already mapped (over 100). Yes, that to me is worth the $49 to pay for these kits.

Again, there is NO upside to buying from this guy. Shoddy payment system and nothing but raw samples that you have to map yourself.

ENV1
KVRAF
2386 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 pm

That site isnt the only game in town.

(Nor do they necessarily have the best quality samples there.)


Anyrate, if you want king-size volume and everything premapped you could always go for something like Drums Overkill.

This thing is packed to the brim and Kontakt based so you dont have to do a thing except starting it up.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:37 pm

ENV1 wrote:That site isnt the only game in town.

(Nor do they necessarily have the best quality samples there.)


Anyrate, if you want king-size volume and everything premapped you could always go for something like Drums Overkill.

This thing is packed to the brim and Kontakt based so you dont have to do a thing except starting it up.
I'm sure it's great. It's also pricey. Now granted, on a per sample basis, it's probably dirt cheap and will probably cover just about everything I could possibly want. It's something to consider down the road when I have 150 euro to throw away. Right now though, since I'm mostly concerned with 80s kits, probably not something I really need.

ENV1
KVRAF
2386 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm

wagtunes wrote:...mostly concerned with 80s kits...
I often found the best stuff on smaller sites.

For instance if you can still use a good LinnDrum, check here.

(Luckily i wrote down the source for that one.)

These are top samples straight out of the machine, really powerful and 'alive', not dull and boring to the point of being useless like so many others.

Comes with the obligatory 'clean' set and additionally a 'Processed' and a Tape Saturated set (through Studer 800) for some extra flavor.

(Must map yourself but its worth it.)

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:38 pm

ENV1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:...mostly concerned with 80s kits...
I often found the best stuff on smaller sites.

For instance if you can still use a good LinnDrum, check here.

(Luckily i wrote down the source for that one.)

These are top samples straight out of the machine, really powerful and 'alive', not dull and boring to the point of being useless like so many others.

Comes with the obligatory 'clean' set and additionally a 'Processed' and a Tape Saturated set (through Studer 800) for some extra flavor.

(Must map yourself but its worth it.)
I actually have the LinnDrum set put together by that guy whose name slips me at the moment. It's excellent and was relatively cheap. So I'm covered as far as LinnDrums.

User avatar
progtronic
KVRian
523 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 pm


User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:03 am

yellowmix wrote:It doesn't matter if they sampled it themselves since there are plenty of free samples other people sampled themselves unless you specifically like what you hear and are willing to pay for it. Do you?

If you are unable to use the free samples and process it to sound that way (or the way you want), then it's something you might want to pay for. It's entirely an individual choice.

If you need helping finding those free samples this is the motherlode: https://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

But there are plenty of free drum machine packs from SampleMagic, etc..

And I'm not saying this because I'm cheap, there are definitely drum packs that have something special. This isn't one of them.
Okay, I contacted the owner of this site and asked him a few questions and he did get back to me quickly. As he seems trustworthy, I actually went ahead and purchased the samples. The sheer number makes this a no brainer for $13.

But here is my question. I could use some help here if somebody can give me a hand.

All of these will have to be mapped to a sample playback engine of some kind. I'm assuming that Kontakt will be sufficient. However, I have never mapped drum samples before so have no idea how to go about doing it.

So...

1. How do I map a sound to each key? I've imported samples that play across all keys but never one to a key.

2. How do I map each sound so that with different velocities a different sound will play? Obviously this means being able to map more than one sound to a key. Can Kontakt even do this?

I realize this is going to be a lot of work but I've decided that this is something that I'm willing to do in order to get the variety of drum sounds that I'm looking for. If Kontakt is not suitable for doing this, what do you recommend I get?

User avatar
progtronic
KVRian
523 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:45 am

wagtunes wrote:...
1. How do I map a sound to each key? I've imported samples that play across all keys but never one to a key.

2. How do I map each sound so that with different velocities a different sound will play? Obviously this means being able to map more than one sound to a key. Can Kontakt even do this?...
I work a lot with Kontakt.. you can definitely do all that, and more.

ADSR has a few tutorials that may help: The Kontakt Mapping Editor

More Kontakt tuts: https://www.adsrsounds.com/category/kontakt-tutorials/

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am

progtronic wrote:
wagtunes wrote:...
1. How do I map a sound to each key? I've imported samples that play across all keys but never one to a key.

2. How do I map each sound so that with different velocities a different sound will play? Obviously this means being able to map more than one sound to a key. Can Kontakt even do this?...
I work a lot with Kontakt.. you can definitely do all that, and more.

ADSR has a few tutorials that may help: The Kontakt Mapping Editor

More Kontakt tuts: https://www.adsrsounds.com/category/kontakt-tutorials/
Thanks. Guess I'll have to check out the tutorials.

Armagibbon
KVRian
695 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:05 am

Yea kontakt sample maps is easy work. Just drag n drop a buncha samples from a folder... drop on the big field to map to lots of keys and drop on a lil piano key at the bottom to map to velocity.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:17 am

Armagibbon wrote:Yea kontakt sample maps is easy work. Just drag n drop a buncha samples from a folder... drop on the big field to map to lots of keys and drop on a lil piano key at the bottom to map to velocity.
Thanks. I hope the manual is a little more detailed. :hihi:

Armagibbon
KVRian
695 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:37 am

Hahaha it is man and that tutorial progtronic posted got it all perfect... but hey what I got is how I remember it. Like drag to the field to put em on multiple keys, drag to a key to put em on multiple velocit-ees. Simple rules for simple fools thats me ahahahah

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am

Armagibbon wrote:Hahaha it is man and that tutorial progtronic posted got it all perfect... but hey what I got is how I remember it. Like drag to the field to put em on multiple keys, drag to a key to put em on multiple velocit-ees. Simple rules for simple fools thats me ahahahah
Well then I shouldn't have any problems.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 am

Armagibbon wrote:Yea kontakt sample maps is easy work. Just drag n drop a buncha samples from a folder... drop on the big field to map to lots of keys and drop on a lil piano key at the bottom to map to velocity.
Okay, I read the tutorial and it was real easy. Mapped a drum kit in seconds.

But then I tried something odd and don't understand why it's behaving like it is. Maybe you can explain it to me.

I took a folder of 22 samples from EMU Proteus and mapped them to the C4 key (instead of the zones) and when I then proceeded to hit the key, instead of getting every sample playing at once, which is what I expected, it played them what definitely appears to be randomly. One hit will be a kick, then a hi hat and then maybe a tom and so on.

Is there a way to control what gets played when or is this some random round robin that Kontakt uses similar to EWQL round robin on its string samples?

** EDIT ** Figured it out. It stacks the samples and plays them back according to velocity. This is actually very cool. You can put together some intricate kits with this if you're willing to spend the time doing it.

drunken jesus
KVRist
132 posts since 10 Feb, 2009

Re: Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Kontak'ts probably overkill for what you're trying to do using a more basic sampler like Grace http://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/grace/ would be way more lightweight and efficient you just add your sample folders on the left and drag the samples into the map to whichever keys you want iirc I think theirs only like 16 velocity layers but that's more than enough for drum samples imo

As far as samples go someone mentioned Sounds from Mars I got their everything bundle in a sale for super cheap and their stuff is high quality and comes with various formats & pre assembled kits as well Goldbaby also makes high quality stuff and has a lot of free downloads
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

Return to “Instruments”