Beatskillz Synthwave Drums...Opinion?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I fully agree with wagtunes.
It´s very unprofessional. All you need today to generate automatic download links after purchase are free web plugins or extensions like woocommerce etc.

I bought one of their rompler plugins on a whim for cheap and I discovered the samples in windows can't be installed on my samples drive but had to stay in the os drive. I contacted support thinking I must be missing something but they said that was indeed the case. They sent me a link to some sketchy looking third party software to trick their software into thinking the samples were in C but they were actually in my samples drive. Yikes. Who the he** is writing code for them? The only reason I bring that up is you might want to check to see if the samples can be moved.

Armagibbon wrote:Hahaha it is man and that tutorial progtronic posted got it all perfect... but hey what I got is how I remember it. Like drag to the field to put em on multiple keys, drag to a key to put em on multiple velocit-ees. Simple rules for simple fools thats me ahahahah
Wonder if you could give me just one last little hand.

The drum samples arrived. Massive amount. One of the kits is the Alesis D4 which I used to own the hardware. It was my favorite drum machine of all time. I can't believe I have it back.

Anyway, I'm in the process of mapping a kit in Kontakt 5 and I'm up to mapping the hi hats, open and closed. Now, in the D4, if I remember correctly, there was a way to group the keys where the hats were mapped so that hitting one would cut off the other. I know how to do this in Battery but have no idea how to do this in Kontakt. I know I have to put the closed and open hi hats into their own group and probably set the group polyphony to 1 or something like that. But can't find the controls anywhere.

Can you help me out? Thanks.

** EDIT ** Never mind. Figured it out. Found group editor.
Last edited by wagtunes on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Brown wrote:I bought one of their rompler plugins on a whim for cheap and I discovered the samples in windows can't be installed on my samples drive but had to stay in the os drive. I contacted support thinking I must be missing something but they said that was indeed the case. They sent me a link to some sketchy looking third party software to trick their software into thinking the samples were in C but they were actually in my samples drive. Yikes. Who the he** is writing code for them? The only reason I bring that up is you might want to check to see if the samples can be moved.
Yikes indeed. That is awful, and just really... well, dumb.

I want to personally thank the person who recommended this sample collection. It is off the charts amazing. I can't imagine wanting anymore drum samples ever. This was the best $13 I spent all year.

Vortifex wrote:I listened to their Soundcloud demos and wasn't very impressed. One of the snares is clearly a modified TR-909 snare. I would be interested to know where exactly they got their sound sources from. Did they sample these themselves from hardware units? They don't mention where the samples come from.

For some quality oldschool drum machine samples you'd be better off buying the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars: https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-the-drums
Bought the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars at https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-the-drums . Instant download links for samples. Absolutely hassle free. Wow!! Fantastic collection of drum samples from what I have briefly skimmed through. Great value for money. Can't wait to load these samples into Battery and see what happens :hyper: Thanks for the link Vortifex :tu:
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

hesnotthemessiah wrote:
Vortifex wrote:I listened to their Soundcloud demos and wasn't very impressed. One of the snares is clearly a modified TR-909 snare. I would be interested to know where exactly they got their sound sources from. Did they sample these themselves from hardware units? They don't mention where the samples come from.

For some quality oldschool drum machine samples you'd be better off buying the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars: https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-the-drums
Bought the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars at https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-the-drums . Instant download links for samples. Absolutely hassle free. Wow!! Fantastic collection of drum samples from what I have briefly skimmed through. Great value for money. Can't wait to load these samples into Battery and see what happens :hyper: Thanks for the link Vortifex :tu:
You can load just regular wav files into Battery 4? I didn't see a format on their page for Battery. Just Kontakt.

wagtunes wrote:
hesnotthemessiah wrote:

You can load just regular wav files into Battery 4? I didn't see a format on their page for Battery. Just Kontakt.
Yes, you can load wav files into Battery :tu:

Just did a quick search of the All The Drums bundle zip files and found there are a total of 157 .NBKT files, which are the Battery kit format files. So that should be 157 Battery kits! Never used this .NBKT format myself though, so I cannot really comment on it.

I prefer to build up my own kits loading various wav files as I work on a track. Finding sounds to suit what I am after and that may inspire me. I always tweak the sounds in Battery, especially with filter, sample rate and decay settings being modulated by velocity and/or automation.

The All The Drums bundle is very well organised. Almost all the WAV samples are sorted into "drum type" (ie. Bass Drum/Snare Drum etc.) . There are also many cases where these drum types are then sorted into sub categories. For example, the 909 samples are sorted into 7 "drum type" folders - Kik + Snare + Tom + Rim Shot + Hand Clap + Hi Hat + Cymbal. These 7 "drum type" folders all then have sub folders (for example - Snare has 4 sub folders - Clean + Color + MPC + Various). Great for those who like to experiment with different sounds when building their own kits.

Another, perhaps even more amazing, drum samples deal: 5930 WAV files, 102 Battery 3 kits (.kt3 files) and 105 Kontakt kits, for a quid:-

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... b1446678b7
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

hesnotthemessiah wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
hesnotthemessiah wrote:

Yes, you can load wav files into Battery :tu:

Just did a quick search of the All The Drums bundle zip files and found there are a total of 157 .NBKT files, which are the Battery kit format files. So that should be 157 Battery kits! Never used this .NBKT format myself though, so I cannot really comment on it.

I prefer to build up my own kits loading various wav files as I work on a track. Finding sounds to suit what I am after and that may inspire me. I always tweak the sounds in Battery, especially with filter, sample rate and decay settings being modulated by velocity and/or automation.

The All The Drums bundle is very well organised. Almost all the WAV samples are sorted into "drum type" (ie. Bass Drum/Snare Drum etc.) . There are also many cases where these drum types are then sorted into sub categories. For example, the 909 samples are sorted into 7 "drum type" folders - Kik + Snare + Tom + Rim Shot + Hand Clap + Hi Hat + Cymbal. These 7 "drum type" folders all then have sub folders (for example - Snare has 4 sub folders - Clean + Color + MPC + Various). Great for those who like to experiment with different sounds when building their own kits.

Another, perhaps even more amazing, drum samples deal: 5930 WAV files, 102 Battery 3 kits (.kt3 files) and 105 Kontakt kits, for a quid:-

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... b1446678b7
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Doc Brown wrote:I bought one of their rompler plugins on a whim for cheap and I discovered the samples in windows can't be installed on my samples drive but had to stay in the os drive. I contacted support thinking I must be missing something but they said that was indeed the case. They sent me a link to some sketchy looking third party software to trick their software into thinking the samples were in C but they were actually in my samples drive. Yikes. Who the he** is writing code for them? The only reason I bring that up is you might want to check to see if the samples can be moved.
it`s not really "code writing" - this plugin is made with Maizesampler (https://www.kvraudio.com/product/maize- ... -maizesoft), it`s more a "how to set up/use the sampler" + "design GUI" + "export the plugin formats you like/need"

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:52 pm
yellowmix wrote:It doesn't matter if they sampled it themselves since there are plenty of free samples other people sampled themselves unless you specifically like what you hear and are willing to pay for it. Do you?

If you are unable to use the free samples and process it to sound that way (or the way you want), then it's something you might want to pay for. It's entirely an individual choice.

If you need helping finding those free samples this is the motherlode: https://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

But there are plenty of free drum machine packs from SampleMagic, etc..

And I'm not saying this because I'm cheap, there are definitely drum packs that have something special. This isn't one of them.
Okay, here's the thing. I went to the site you gave me. Yes, there are tons of free samples there that I can just download. Here are just a few of the multitude of problems with going this route.

1. You don't know what sounds are in each pack even if you are intimately familiar with the synth they came from.

2. Nothing is mapped. So you have to open up Kontakt or whatever sample player you use and map each sample to a key to set up a drum kit.

Know what? I'll stop there because there's no need to go farther.

The amount of time required to put together some decent drum kits has to be worth more than the $49 spent to have over 100 kits already put together for you.

That's where I can absolutely see the value of this unless you simply don't value your time at all and have tons of it to kill.
We produce/sample ready sounds for you to get inspired and draw your ideas quickly on your DAW, our main motive here to make things easier for you, rather than wasting time on numerous website looking for samples. All samples are sampled and layered from old Drums machines and processed through Hardware processing units. We are also providing the wavs files which you can use it to edit the sounds and use them as any you like.

I might have taken the plunge during the last sale, if the Pitch control wouldn't have been global. I might want to tune my toms for example, but why would I want that to also affect the hi-hats?

Of course I could just use the raw samples outside the VST, but that makes it not so much different from hunting through my already pretty substantial library of (free) drum samples. The idea would have been to have a complete kit ready to go when inspiration hits (even if you end up replacing some stuff later).

Otherwise it seems pretty cool, and the essential (for me) multi-output feature is there. At $79 however, with some major features missing, I feel like it's not the best value.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 pm And again, forget about all that payment crap. I have to manually map every single sample I download. There are no kits. Nothing is done for you. So you're talking about spending an enormous amount of time to get the same number of kits that Beatskillz provides, already mapped (over 100). Yes, that to me is worth the $49 to pay for these kits.
I know this an old post, but I wanted to stop on to say I agree with Wagtunes here. I have masses of hq drum samples and having to constantly map everything sucks.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:00 am I might have taken the plunge during the last sale, if the Pitch control wouldn't have been global. I might want to tune my toms for example, but why would I want that to also affect the hi-hats?
Yikes, that's lame AF. It still might be worth $50 for reasons Wag mentioned, but not being able to tune individual hits is weaksauce.

I have a million great drum samples on my pc and yet i bought Thenatans Trap Star drum plugins on sale because it's worth my couple bucks to have quality kits already mapped and ready to go for productions.

Many people don't understand you're paying for curation which is a very valuable thing.

Return to “Instruments”