Tone2 Gladiator 3 (public beta)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gladiator 4

bmrzycki wrote:In effect this sample is tainted and must receive careful legal treatment for any commercial endeavors. There is no other audio mangling tool I know of with this restriction. This essentially means I am hesitant about using Icarus for anything that isn’t a song and isn’t a Tone2 present and severely limits its usefulness to me.
Yes, that's the problem. I want to make music without risking legal problems. Although the Tone2 synths seem to be interesting, I don't buy software that have these legal restrictions.

These legal restrictions stifle creativity! Sharing encourages creativity.

Any sound made by a Tone2 product contains an audio watermark....
Is that true? Do they even imprint an audio watermark on the output?! Is this in all their synths?

@ Urs

How about if you just write an editor yourself or you use Audioterm. So you can make wavetables and load directly into icarus or serum. You can also make wavetables from your own waveforms or even calculate or draw your own waveforms. Audioterm is free for everyone and anyone who uses it will not have any problems with other manufacturers.

If you want we can talk about it. If you need support. Write me via PM
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

kiezum wrote:
Is that true?
Dunno.

kiezum wrote:
Is that true? Do they even imprint an audio watermark on the output?! Is this in all their synths?
Yes it's true. Not sure all their synths, but I noticed that Nemesis and RayBlaster printed watermarks on my T-shirts and inner clothes.

LeVzi wrote:Nah not at all, use Icarus for your work as you want. There are no restrictions.
I’m not sure how you can claim I can work how I want. The workflow I described in my previous post requires additional permission as explicitly stated in the Tone2 License. I have hilighted the key phrase below:
Sampling:
This product can be used for music production, making records, remixes, commercials, jingles, soundtracks for film, theatre, musicals and computer games. The included sounds and this product can NOT be used for making music or sounds that will be licensed or sold as library music, sound clips or other sample based products. You are not allowed to sample or dump sounds or waveforms created by this product without our written permission. Especially not for creating commercial content for other synthesizers, sample packs, romplers or audio devices.
Markus also reinforced his position earlier in this thread he doesn’t allow sampling of the algorithms without additional explicit permission.
...Beside of that many algorithms for generating and modifying waveforms use coprighted material as source data.
Feel free to call me Brian.

You know, whether or not you agree with Tone 2's policy (I don't) can you imagine if every hardware synth manufacturer said "You can't sample my product." Know where we'd be today? Well we sure as hell wouldn't be where we are now with some of the amazing products that we have available to us.

If you ask me, it's a petty EULA.

Not that my opinion matters.

You can buy our hammer, but you are only allowed to build non-euclidean shapes with it, exactly like the great Cthulhu intended it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delta Sign wrote:Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I knew it. I can't read legalese.

Hmmm... this thread has really put me off wanting to use my Tone2 products in my future productions.

What a weird attitude they seem to have. Not sure I trust them now. What a shame.

simmo75 wrote:Hmmm... this thread has really put me off wanting to use my Tone2 products in my future productions.

What a weird attitude they seem to have. Not sure I trust them now. What a shame.
I'm exactly the opposite! This thread made me trying their synths without biased background and then bought a 2for1 bundle.

I'm intending to use their products and buy other synths because there is no problem in using them in my music making or designing my own presets. That's what I'm doing with their synths. I'm not a developer or promoting my own libraries in Kontakt.

If one day I want to make a commercial product using their synths, I will contact their support and ask for a permission.

On the other hand, I won't ask for permission for a sound I use in my music making using (weird) a sound sampled from Europa or Zebra then processed in RayBlaster, nor the opposite! Because my purpose is not using their synths to promote Europa or Zebra.

In short, for my music making I won't take a permission from anyone. It doesn't matter if my music making is personal or commercial. For presets design, if I do my presets from scratch in RayBlaster and those presets are for sale for RayBlaster users, I won't take permission, but if I'm doing presets for Zebra using RayBlaster and I want to sell or publish them for free, I would ask for permission (not only from Tone2 but from u-he). Anyway, as I said I won't ask for any permission if I use these multi-synth presets in my music and that music is not for promoting any used synth.

I really don't understand why the hate? But it seems it's extremely difficult to find unbiased persons in this world!

EnGee wrote:
simmo75 wrote:Hmmm... this thread has really put me off wanting to use my Tone2 products in my future productions.

I'm exactly the opposite! This thread made me trying their synths without biased background and then bought a 2for1 bundle.

I'm intending to use their products and buy other synths because there is no problem in using them in my music making or designing my own presets. That's what I'm doing with their synths. I'm not a developer or promoting my own libraries in Kontakt.

If one day I want to make a commercial product using their synths, I will contact their support and ask for a permission.

On the other hand, I won't ask for permission for a sound I use in my music making using (weird) a sound sampled from Europa or Zebra then processed in RayBlaster, nor the opposite! Because my purpose is not using their synths to promote Europa or Zebra.

In short, for my music making I won't take a permission from anyone. It doesn't matter if my music making is personal or commercial. For presets design, if I do my presets from scratch in RayBlaster and those presets are for sale for RayBlaster users, I won't take permission, but if I'm doing presets for Zebra using RayBlaster and I want to sell or publish them for free, I would ask for permission (not only from Tone2 but from u-he). Anyway, as I said I won't ask for any permission if I use these multi-synth presets in my music and that music is not for promoting any used synth.

I really don't understand why the hate? But it seems it's extremely difficult to find unbiased persons in this world!
I would hardly describe what I wrote as hate...
I found it bizarre the way the developer attacked the u-he developer when it was pretty obvious what he meant. I also didn’t like the EULA when I actually sat and read it... which to be honest I never do so they could all be like that.

Maybe a possibility would be to use Icarus to generate wavetables or similar, but to indicate in the u-he documentation that Icarus from Tone2 was used. Free advert, potential of reaching new customers.

Meanwhile at the Tone2 headquarters:

simmo75 wrote:
EnGee wrote:

I would hardly describe what I wrote as hate...
Sorry! I didn't mean you, I meant the thread in general.
I found it bizarre the way the developer attacked the u-he developer when it was pretty obvious what he meant. I also didn’t like the EULA when I actually sat and read it... which to be honest I never do so they could all be like that.
Developers can solve their problems between them. I have no idea what is going on really between them! It is a commercial problem I don't want to take part in it! I don't have any problem with either one, so I have no leg in this!

Return to “Instruments”