Vengeance Phalanx – is it any good nowadays?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've been considering purchasing this VSTi, installed a demo and just ran into a bug in the first few seconds of using it. I loaded a sample from Phalanx factory library into a pad, started playing it with MIDI keyboard and immediately heard that the sample is often being cut off too early. I recorded video of this bug:

https://youtu.be/MIJl8nEPOTU

Got no response from their support. What is that? I don't think my system is too weak to handle this (Mac Mini with 16 GB of RAM). Anyway, a Pentium running FastTracker would handle this without any problems 20 years ago.

So what do you guys think about this software in general and if there any way to solve this bug in particular. Or maybe someone would point me to some similar software.

Thanks.

Phalanx is the only VST I have that crashes a lot. Very buggy. It’s the only synth I regret buying (for 300 euro!). Two years ago Vengeance promised a significant update, but it never came.

If you buy Avenger you will have all Phalanx functionality and much more (including stability).

Thank you for your answer. I think I won't be buying Phalanx. I'll try Avenger demo.

I've got Phalanx and it never once crashed as far as i can remember.

It's pretty deep and takes some time to learn. I don't think that kick-cut-off is due to a bug, probably due to some setting you have to change. Mess around with the polyphony and envelope settings. There really is a lot to learn. It's worth it as i think it has far and away the best drum library (for electronic music) of any VST drum sampler. The sample browser is a big reason to use it, it's very well thought out and ergonomic.
You can tell it's been designed by a very good producer as all the things you need are in the right place.
And it also has a very good and flexible modulation system.

One the down side, Vengeance Sound don't really have a English forum (only a German one) so, you don't have that pool of users that can help you with questions.

Yes, it's due for an update (especially visually), but is still extremely usable as is.

Don't even get me started on Avenger. It's so far ahead of the competition, it's just silly. There's nothing that can touch the features it offers, and it has the best sound design presets of any VSTi by a mile. Just MHO.
It's very deep and requires a lot of time to fully get your head around, but it leaves Serum in the dust in every way, except for the filters, which are ok, but i think the Serum filters are better.

Happy user here and used it for 2 years. Runs fine in Live 10 and Cubase 9.5 recently (just upgraded). Never had a crashed as far as I remembered. Used it as my main drum part. I wish next version has a drum seq'er.

Mr D wrote:I don't think that kick-cut-off is due to a bug, probably due to some setting you have to change. Mess around with the polyphony and envelope settings.
Well, it behaves differently in the same situation from time to time, and also I tried to fiddle with the settings... Hardly looks like a settings thing, unfortunately. Today I've received an email from their support asking to send them a project reproducing this behaviour.

Did you try to shorten the midi notes in your DAW so they don't overlap?

You can always make a midi note shorter , and use the Phalanx env. to determine the actual length heard.

Phalanx had a bad start as Avenger had too (why does Vengeance has to quickly release beta like versions in christmas time? Just 4 the money?). Unfortunately it is neither a drum sampler nor a synth. It probably began as sampler but then the devs tried to make something out of it what Avenger now is. There were updates and features promised but nowadays it is abandonded (like their other software). The devs said they'll focus on Avenger only. So no expansions for Phalanx anymore, no feature updates.

Return to “Instruments”