GSI VB3-II

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
krreed
KVRist
37 posts since 7 Aug, 2014

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am

I purchased B5 for 69 euros when it was on sale. Normally it sells for 99 euros. Last year VST Buzz had it on 50% sale. Now I have B5, VB3 V1, and B4II. I tried out VB3 II. I am not sure I like its built-in Leslie. I've heard good things about Blue3. Since I already have VB3 v1, I may get Blue3 until I see a discount on VB3 II.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
22084 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am

WOK wrote:
pyer wrote:wow, 10 pages, and maybe 3 posts about the sound, from people who actually gave it a try.
Unfortunately, my music PC is (and will stay) 32 bit (for all the 32 bit plugins I have and love).
I would need the VB3 for live situations, but there I use an old (and rock-stable) version of EnergyXT modular (32 bit obviously).
Too sad, it's 64bit only. I know the problems of converting a 32b source to 64b, but is it impossible to compile this as a 32bit plugin?
Reaper's bit bridge can also convert 64-bit plugins to 32-bit IIRC.

gaf_thit
KVRian
739 posts since 28 Sep, 2012 from Norway

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 am

I'll wait for VB3-II-1-GO edition

waltercruz
KVRAF
2142 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 am

Hey, let's talk about the sound!

I liked it a lot.

But first, 2 minot annoyances about the demo: 15 seconds play is just too small. At least 30 seconds play, to feel the sound and really test things. And, in Mainstage, the options pages open behind the main instrument screen and you can't really focus them

About the change, It seems that all of the B5 hammonds have more low end, but changing the generator settings to Boost 1 or Boost 2 on VB3-II gives a similar low-end boost. It would possible to change the relative volumes of drawbars on B5 too.

Leslie is very different between VB3-II and B5, I would not know which one I like more. B-5, being sampled, uses a lot more of memory. CPU-wise, they seem somewhat comparable, with VB-3 using a bit less of CPU.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 am

Do note that the Leslie in B5 is not sampled, it's an actual DSP effect.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9207 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:41 am

EvilDragon wrote:Do note that the Leslie in B5 is not sampled, it's an actual DSP effect.
I don't think their Leslie is 100% DSP. I recall reading that it's some combination of impulse responses and the UVI Leslie.

rasmusklump
KVRian
1392 posts since 13 May, 2004 from Germany

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 am

No, it is dsp and the base for UVIs new Leslie

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:59 am

rasmusklump wrote:No, it is dsp and the base for UVIs new Leslie
From the Acoustic Samples B5 homepage:

"We added a large variety of impulse responses at different microphone placements, and you can control all of the Leslie parameters differently for both rotors independantly."

and...

"There are many models on the market, and they mainly differ by their dimensions, horn size and position. We sampled 4 different ones, two Leslie 122, one 3300 and a 147, each one with the same set of microphone placements. The all sound slightly different. We also added some common speaker "voicings"."

As I said, my understanding is that it's a combination of both the UVI Leslie + Impulse Responses and not 100% DSP. The webpage pretty much confirms that. I recall additional conversation about this when the UVI Leslie was released.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 pm

IRs are just acting like a filter for the DSP, but the actual speaker behavior part (i.e. the most important thing) is all DSP.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:04 pm

EvilDragon wrote:IRs are just acting like a filter for the DSP, but the actual speaker behavior part (i.e. the most important thing) is all DSP.
Yes, that's basically my uderstanding. I'm under the impression they took the UVI Leslie for all the modulation goodness, and then sampled the horns and rotors from a few actual Leslies at different positions and are applying the IR's on top of the DSP. Not the same as the striaght up UVI Leslie, and definitely not 100% DSP, but rather a combination of the two. Sort of the difference between using IR's for guitar cabinet sims versus modelling a cabinet's frequency response and a microphone via DSP filters.

Spitfire31
KVRAF
3127 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Another important (to me, at least) distinction between the B5 and the UVI Leslie is that the Acoustic Samples one supports CC #64 as a latched toggle (as does GSI in VB3 and VB3 II).

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:IRs are just acting like a filter for the DSP, but the actual speaker behavior part (i.e. the most important thing) is all DSP.
Yes, that's basically my uderstanding. I'm under the impression they took the UVI Leslie for all the modulation goodness, and then sampled the horns and rotors from a few actual Leslies at different positions and are applying the IR's on top of the DSP. Not the same as the striaght up UVI Leslie, and definitely not 100% DSP, but rather a combination of the two. Sort of the difference between using IR's for guitar cabinet sims versus modelling a cabinet's frequency response and a microphone via DSP filters.
No actually they also measured different Leslies and UVI made a new Leslie FX and implemented it in Falcon/UVIW.

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
3505 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:45 pm

I’ve got no issues with V1 at the moment so I’m thinking of just staying with it. Is there anything super amazing about the update that makes it a must have? I’m sure I’ll get around to getting it soon enough, but it doesn’t seem like a massive change.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

waltercruz
KVRAF
2142 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
No actually they also measured different Leslies and UVI made a new Leslie FX and implemented it in Falcon/UVIW.
But according to the manual, there's some IR component on B5 Leslie. The Leslie itself is modeling, but the miking seems IR. As a simple test, hold a chord on B-5 and change Leslie parameters. What works without a little gap is model, what does a little click is IR. But is not a problem, is a very good Leslie, way much better than B5 version 1.

About VB3-II, after another hour playing the demo, it's a wonderful emulation. Seems more upfront than B-5. Still can't decide, love both!

c_voltage
KVRAF
2051 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm

(Though, need to say when now i saw at Izotope Vocalsynt v1>v2 upgrade price (129 bucks carl :x ), i become to think that 75$ it's not a much damn. :lol:)

Return to “Instruments”