Layering and load distribution

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
iPlogger
KVRian
689 posts since 27 Oct, 2011 from Pacific Northwest

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

It's a great question, but I find it difficult to find details regarding this. I read bits and pieces in relation to specific DAWs and synths every once in a while. When it pertains to my specific setup, I begin to integrate it into my workflow. For example, I've heard Ableton Live's Instrument Racks are multi-threaded, so I will use a rack with multiple instances of Omnisphere for layering, instead of using a single instance of Omnisphere (which I hear is single-threaded).

I did a really quick test the other day with an 8-layered sound and did not see any real difference CPU or processor-wise. Either way, it still looked like things were spread among multiple processors. I think I will need to create something in Omnisphere that is initially more CPU intensive and try this again.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29776 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Layering and load distribution

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 am

The Ableton Live FAQ seems to indicate multiple cores are available in a rack if processing in parallel rather than one signal path, so would layered instruments that all have the same midi in count as parallel or one signal path?

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ndling-FAQ

Can Bitwig do this?

Return to “Instruments”