Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does it work like a modeling synth or is it sample-based? Can I simply enter the lyrics to be sung? 8)

Either way, I don't like such developments, sooner or later music will mean nothing anymore.
It will be like with those ultra-realistic animation movies.
You can simply enter the lyrics to be sung.

The rest I'll ignore.

I don't think anyone said anything bad about Vocaloid, we just said it doesn't sound human at all, which is even a good thing in my opinion. I love sounds that are somewhere between synthetic and acoustic.

ENV1 wrote: Its clearly false advertizing, so how they can get away with something like that is frankly beyond me.
Since when does advertizing have to be the truth? What IS the truth? Some people will surely claim that Vocaloid sounds like a real voice, while others will claim that it's nowhere near a real voice.

donkey tugger wrote:Still no, 'fat lancastrian heavy smoking pisshead' preset then. Job's safe for now.
lol :D

chk071 wrote:
ENV1 wrote: Its clearly false advertizing, so how they can get away with something like that is frankly beyond me.
Since when does advertizing have to be the truth? What IS the truth? Some people will surely claim that Vocaloid sounds like a real voice, while others will claim that it's nowhere near a real voice.
The truth is, objectively speaking, it's somewhere in between. Like I said, you're not getting dynamics out of this thing. You're basically getting a processed sound of a human singer (yes, these are all made from human recordings) but once you go through the engine, you lose the dynamics. You lose that diaphragm exerted force that gives a voice its character and body. That's all stripped away in the processing. All that's left is the surface sheen.

Now, like I said, they've removed that horrible vocoder like sound in the pronunciation so there is a vast improvement in that area. So you get the illusion of a sort of airy human vocal with no dynamics.

That is the reality of THIS version of Vocaloid, which is still a VAST improvement over Vocaloid 4 in itself. Then with all the extra editing capabilities, which you didn't have in Vocaloid 4, this product is leaps and bounds ahead of it regardless of what all the naysayers think.

Beside of the additional features, the improved workability and the fact that it is now a VSTi for any DAW, I find the "new" price policy quite amazing.
As a previous user of a previous Vocaloid Editor you can get Vocaloid 5 Premium including 8 voicebanks (!!!) for about 184,- €

And you can load the Vocaloid Bank from version 4 and 3 too, so you can luckily keep the nice "real" Vocaloid sound which is not so appreciated on KVR ;-)
Last edited by teacue on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

wagtunes wrote:And then, even with vocals, we use vocoders and other vocal FX processors that turn a human voice into a Cher clone because, by gosh, we LOVE THAT TOO.
This is exactly what I was thinking of.
I wasn't ironic btw, maybe you don't remember but I sent you a pm some time ago saying I freakin' love "Once Upon A Time".
Vocaloid as a futuristic voice maker is definitely a great tool.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

wagtunes wrote:The truth is, objectively speaking, it's somewhere in between. Like I said, you're not getting dynamics out of this thing. You're basically getting a processed sound of a human singer (yes, these are all made from human recordings) but once you go through the engine, you lose the dynamics. You lose that diaphragm exerted force that gives a voice its character and body. That's all stripped away in the processing. All that's left is the surface sheen.
So, it is sample-based after all? Recycled rearranged bits of human voices?
Each voice is unique, like a fingerprint. In other words, could one still determine who the "artificial" voice originally belonged to?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The truth is, objectively speaking, it's somewhere in between. Like I said, you're not getting dynamics out of this thing. You're basically getting a processed sound of a human singer (yes, these are all made from human recordings) but once you go through the engine, you lose the dynamics. You lose that diaphragm exerted force that gives a voice its character and body. That's all stripped away in the processing. All that's left is the surface sheen.
So, it is sample-based after all? Recycled rearranged bits of human voices?
Each voice is unique, like a fingerprint. In other words, could one still determine who the "artificial" voice originally belonged to?
No, it is not sample based. The voices are interpreted by the engine and then reenginered. The work behind how this is done is mind boggling. I read an interview a while ago with the creator. It took years to create this technology.

So let me put it to you this way. If you bought the product and searched all the directories for "samples" you wouldn't find any. There are no samples used in the rendering of the vocals.

Never a fan of these tools...until now. I might be interested in Volcaloid 5.
Sure it´s no real singer but with some FX it will be better and i can´t pay or have access to a real good singer :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Rhh_4GZmU

The intro video definitely made it sound like there's been a significant improvement in the quality; sounded like theye done remarkably well at removing the very particular artefacts I associate with Vocaloid.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:The intro video definitely made it sound like there's been a significant improvement in the quality; sounded like theye done remarkably well at removing the very particular artefacts I associate with Vocaloid.
Yes, that has probably been the biggest noticeable improvement. The additional processing you can do (adding air to the vocals) will only make it better.

I didn't expect to be impressed at all but I was blown away.

Cinebient wrote:Never a fan of these tools...until now. I might be interested in Volcaloid 5.
Sure it´s no real singer but with some FX it will be better and i can´t pay or have access to a real good singer :D
Cool video :hihi:

Cinebient wrote:Never a fan of these tools...until now. I might be interested in Volcaloid 5.
OMG, that was PRICELESS. I am laughing so hard I don't know if I'll be able to stop.

You have NO idea how close that is to the truth for some singers.

They seem to have a bartering system in place:

Vocaloid5 Standard, Upgrade Edition 15,000 hen.
Vocaloid5 Premium, Upgrade Edition 24,000 hen.

That's a lot of hens.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Instruments”