Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
BMoore wrote:
wagtunes wrote: You were warned to stay away from me. Reported.
You can’t take one ounce of criticism, even if it’s someone saying «horrible», or being more specific constructive. You really should stay out of forums.
I bet your crying sounds as bad as your Vocaloid tunes.
Reported, again.
I think we get the gist of this now. I’m getting banned, and you’re getting told. My work here is done.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Don't let this stuff get your down Wags. You have unquestionable expertise with Vocaloids. It is software that is not widely used or discussed and your posts have been really helpful in getting some insight into this latest release in particular.

I hope the mods step in and you can continue posting without the personal attacks. There is no need for this.

Scotty wrote:Don't let this stuff get your down Wags. You have unquestionable expertise with Vocaloids. It is software that is not widely used or discussed and your posts have been really helpful in getting some insight into this latest release in particular.

I hope the mods step in and you can continue posting without the personal attacks. There is no need for this.
It's okay. It's been taken care of. I have a mod who's personally monitoring this thread.

wagtunes wrote:I have a mod who's personally monitoring this thread.

One of these guys? :P

thecontrolcentre wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I have a mod who's personally monitoring this thread.

One of these guys? :P
I don't know man. He never sent me a photo.

I think that Wag misspelled "mod". He meant "I have a mob".

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:I think that Wag misspelled "mod". He meant "I have a mob".

/Joachim
Boy do I wish I had a mob to have my back around here. This place can get downright hostile.

wagtunes wrote:
benheman wrote:It's the best version they ever came out with!
Sound wise, probably. Work flow wise, debatable. There were lots of things about the V4 Cubase Editor that I liked a lot better. Of course for everybody else they had to use it standalone as there was no VST version at all, so I guess for the rest of the world V5 is a step up for VST owners in general. But for us Cubase guys, a major step back because the V4 editor was amazing.
@Wagtunes, doesn't v5 come with V4(.5) Editor for Cubase?

G

Photo_G wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
benheman wrote:It's the best version they ever came out with!
Sound wise, probably. Work flow wise, debatable. There were lots of things about the V4 Cubase Editor that I liked a lot better. Of course for everybody else they had to use it standalone as there was no VST version at all, so I guess for the rest of the world V5 is a step up for VST owners in general. But for us Cubase guys, a major step back because the V4 editor was amazing.
@Wagtunes, doesn't v5 come with V4(.5) Editor for Cubase?

G
Yeah but then you don't get the features of V5. You might as well just use V4, which is what I'm doing.

wagtunes wrote:

/Joachim
Boy do I wish I had a mob to have my back around here. This place can get downright hostile.
Mob, well we are a few on wagtunes side here, but I would not say we are a mob :wink:

BTW, wagtunes, in the heat of things it seems you missed my question. Does the new V5 editor work in Cubase as a VST or do you have to use it separately outside the DAW?

GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

/Joachim
Mob, well we are a few on wagtunes side here, but I would not say we are a mob :wink:

BTW, wagtunes, in the heat of things it seems you missed my question. Does the new V5 editor work in Cubase as a VST or do you have to use it separately outside the DAW?
The new V5 works as a VST just like any other VST would. And that's actually part of the problem.

With a VST like, say, The Legend, none of The Legend controls really interact with your DAW. You make your patch edits and then the DAW plays back the track. But you can't be working inside The Legend and access DAW commands at the same time. You have to switch between the two. Now, this is not really a problem and nobody notices it because they are two separate functions.

However, with Vocaloid, you have a playback issue. Let's say you're listening to the first 20 seconds of your track and you want to go back and make a change around the 10 second mark and then start playback from there to see how your change came out. Ideally, you would like to be able to set the play marker in Vocaloid to the 10 second mark and hit the play button and it starts playing from there. Except it doesn't do that. Because moving the Vocaloid play marker doesn't move the DAW play marker. So when you hit the play button after making your changes and moving the Vocaloid play marker, the song still continues from the 20 second point. So you have to exit out of the Vocaloid editor and go back to your DAW controls to move the DAW play marker to 10 seconds.

This is a ROYAL PITA if you're making numerous edits in a song.

That's why I only use V5 for the new voices and/or if I want to access the additional functionality.

One of the first things they have to do in version 5.1 or whatever is to sync up the V5 marker with the DAW marker, if it's even possible.

wagtunes wrote:One of the first things they have to do in version 5.1 or whatever is to sync up the V5 marker with the DAW marker, if it's even possible.
Im not 100% sure, but as far as im aware song-position is unidirectional and only works Host->Plugins.

ENV1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:One of the first things they have to do in version 5.1 or whatever is to sync up the V5 marker with the DAW marker, if it's even possible.
Im not 100% sure, but as far as im aware song-position is unidirectional and only works Host->Plugins.
I'm pretty sure you're right, which makes working in V5 a royal pain. In V4, you didn't have this problem because moving the marker inside V4, since it's actually part of the DAW interface, it works fine. It's one of the best things about V4.

wagtunes wrote:
Vocaloid can't do that. Even though each Vocaloid has its own little character, the overall character of the engine itself is very one dimensional. Each voice is very smooth and, for the lack of a better term, plastic sounding. There's no roughness. Oh yeah, they have this "growl" feature but it's laughable. I never use it.
Just thinking about this, whilst you're probably never going to get that 'growl' from it, there's nothing to stop you mixing in a bit of distortion (on a second track usually) to give a bit more 'edge' on tracks that require it. It's quite a common technique - if you get it right i.e quite low) the vocal doesn't sound so much distorted as having more presence and a bit of raspiness. Worth a go.

donkey tugger wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Vocaloid can't do that. Even though each Vocaloid has its own little character, the overall character of the engine itself is very one dimensional. Each voice is very smooth and, for the lack of a better term, plastic sounding. There's no roughness. Oh yeah, they have this "growl" feature but it's laughable. I never use it.
Just thinking about this, whilst you're probably never going to get that 'growl' from it, there's nothing to stop you mixing in a bit of distortion (on a second track usually) to give a bit more 'edge' on tracks that require it. It's quite a common technique - if you get it right i.e quite low) the vocal doesn't sound so much distorted as having more presence and a bit of raspiness. Worth a go.
Well I used to do that with my own vocals but I'm not sure how well it's going to translate to these guys. But I guess it's worth a shot, though I expect it to sound like utter trash.

Return to “Instruments”