Enough with the vintage emulations! Bring on the digital!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:I think the answer is much simper than that. Because most people consider vintage analogs the "holy grail" of sound, not vintage digitals. A vintage analog emu is a guaranteed seller, at least with the well known models. I didn't even know the digital synths you mentioned.
Well, now you do. :ud:

I'm in agreement that getting the vintage analog thing down was kind of a priority, but there's not an unending supply of those instruments to be modeled. I can only think of a handful of vintage classics that need good emulations at this point.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I should mention that I do appreciate that Discovery Pro exists to keep the Nord Lead out of my studio, and I was happy to install the Virus TI wavetables in Gladiator. (with Kemper's blessing)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Teksonik wrote: Sometimes the market doesn't know what it wants until it's put on the plate in front of them. I'm certainly more likely to buy a VFX emulation than yet another Analog emu. How many ways do we need to make the same patches over and over with only slight difference in character and quality ?
Exactly. The only real analog emulation I'd pay money for at this point is a CS-80 that's on par with RePro. Maybe I'd like an upgrade of OP-X Pro too, though I still quite like that one.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:I should mention that I do appreciate that Discovery Pro exists to keep the Nord Lead out of my studio, and I was happy to install the Virus TI wavetables in Gladiator. (with Kemper's blessing)
Yeah, those two would be the first i'd think off, when thinking about digital synths to emulate. Don't get why so few developers (Adam Szabo's Viper comes to mind) have been picking up the idea, with such popular synths. I know some will already yawn again, because it's not very original, but, an emulation of digital synth XY, which only geeks know off, will just not sell well.

Where is the line between an analog and a digital synth? Digital synths can have analog filters as well, if I am not mistaken, the M1 for instance.
Or does it merely refer to the oscillators?

Anyway, I don't care if it's digital, as long as it sounds analog :hihi: I think I read somewhere that the filter in Dexed is from the free Oberheim emulation 8)

Unlike many people I still like some DX sounds, such as the Rhodes and the bass. But beyond that I don't really know famous "digital sounds".

I think we definitely have the dx7 covered now with at least three decent emulations. Arturia now seems to be turning their attention towards some vintage digital like the synclavier. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept going with the vintage digital synths. Roland are certainly covering much of their digital range. I guess it’s just a matter of what were recognizable classics to most people, regardless of analog/digital. Tends to be the Moogs, Roland analogs, etc. and the dx7 and few other digital classics. So yeah, just popularity I guess. Though it is surprising it took so long to get a decent virus emulation. And there’s still lots of ground to cover from the TI that viper hasn’t gotten into.

Other than that I think most soft synths covered so much of the digital hardware ground (and more) that strict emulations maybe were less necessary, unlike unique analogs with those sweet spot ranges and quirky filters and such.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Where is the line between an analog and a digital synth? Digital synths can have analog filters as well, if I am not mistaken, the M1 for instance.
Or does it merely refer to the oscillators?

Anyway, I don't care if it's digital, as long as it sounds analog :hihi: I think I read somewhere that the filter in Dexed is from the free Oberheim emulation 8)

Unlike many people I still like some DX sounds, such as the Rhodes and the bass. But beyond that I don't really know famous "digital sounds".
I think we're having an FM renaissance at the moment. Still missing a couple of noted synths, but the DX 7 is covered as far as I'm concerned.

You are mistaken about the M1. Maybe you're thinking of the DW/EX 8000.
Zerocrossing Media

There are a few things that would be nice to have emulations of - some Roland stuff (that may be coming), Yamaha SY99 and the VL stuff, the FS1R, some Korg stuff (eg Trinity, Prophecy/Z1) and some other things - the Kurzweil K2x00 would be great, as other people have suggested some of the Ensoniq stuff like the VFX etc - but on the whole, we're doing pretty well for emulations.

Sooner or later people would be asking for K1's and D110's and other cheap crap, just for the sake of having them... :dog: :lol:
Last edited by beely on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote:OK, we've got a nice crop of vintage emulations from Synapse, XILS, U-He, Roland, etc. I love them as much as anyone, but I can't help but wonder why no one's moving to emulate some of the classic 90s-00s digital machines from Yamaha, Ensoniq and E-MU. I think it's high time we see a Morpheus and a Fizmo done to the same degree of accuracy as the RePros, Legends, etc. How about a FS1R? Is there a legal reason we're not seeing this?
Maybe because digital synths are no better or offer anything better then Serum, Synthmaster, Zebra 2, Spire ect? (Except for virus ti) :wink: and they so even less and dont sound amy better :)

Edit: you have already emulations of

Nord lead
Virus ti
Sylenth1
Rolans jp8080
Korg m1
Korg wavestation
Prophet vs

Also Blofeld aka Largo? Not sure about that one.
Last edited by Elektronisch on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zerocrossing wrote:How about a FS1R?
:love: What a gem of a digital synth the Yamaha FS1R is!

I would pay good money in a heartbeat for a plugin version. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

The real DX7 successor concerning FM synthesis plus Formant Shaping.

I think Yamaha don't do it right now because of their current Montage hardware synth line.

@dsp developers: Is it hard to recreate the Yamaha FS1R in plugin form with no access to the exact original code?

Well, i think certain genres of electronic music (those which usually considered "inferior" at KVR but many people do love them) did lost something when people abandoned their Viruses JPs, Nordleads, Waldorfs and switched to VSTis. I'd love to see more takes one the digital synths which were popular from late 90's till late 00's, not necessarily stirct 100% emulations like Repro, but synths which don't just copy the features (FM, wavetables, unison/supersaws) but also capture the sound charater. Viper definitely was a step in very right direction and is a really good emulation of Virus VA, but i'd love to see more takes on Virus TI, especially it's wavetable part.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

it's not exactly a wire-for-wire emulation of anything in particular but i really like how TAL's sampler sounds. It makes even chintzy midi stuff sound cool and i don't even know how.

zerocrossing wrote:I think we're having an FM renaissance at the moment. Still missing a couple of noted synths, but the DX 7 is covered as far as I'm concerned.

You are mistaken about the M1. Maybe you're thinking of the DW/EX 8000.
Looked it up, indeed it says digital filter, my bad.

chk071 wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I should mention that I do appreciate that Discovery Pro exists to keep the Nord Lead out of my studio, and I was happy to install the Virus TI wavetables in Gladiator. (with Kemper's blessing)
Yeah, those two would be the first i'd think off, when thinking about digital synths to emulate. Don't get why so few developers (Adam Szabo's Viper comes to mind) have been picking up the idea, with such popular synths. I know some will already yawn again, because it's not very original, but, an emulation of digital synth XY, which only geeks know off, will just not sell well.
When I think of digital synths I'm not even thinking of the Virus, which of course technically is - but since it's a VA, a virtual version would be a virtual-virtual analog. We're getting inception-level deep here...

Then if someone emulates that we'll have a VVVA...

I'd just really like to see more gear that stays away from the subtractive workflow - Synths like Kontour, Aparillo. It's like if CGI were only used to reproduce realistic images; we need some flying unicorns.

Maybe the challenge and prestige is bigger, there is like half a dozen developers who try to outdo each other in terms of emulating analog components on the computer.

With digital, they might think, it sounds digital, so what, it is digital...

Return to “Instruments”