One Synth Challenge #114: Crystal by Green Oak (mehum wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Crystal

Some questions:

I'd say the 20mb sample rom is an Add-on to the existing 8 mb sampled waveforms.
So this should not be allowed then, is it?

"Only oscillator types" states: just default crystal? Or are there any restictions inside the synth? (some waveforms aren't really oscillators i guess...)

i downloaded only crystall dll file, and instrument has 21 sampled waves

please clarify, what can we use

cryst11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks @vsinger , now that i read the first rule again it becomes more obvious we can only use the "synthesized" ones...

It litterally says that, so i assume that's what @bjporter means.

But its strange limitation, because even factory presets are using this waves,
so i have to check if each preset uses right wave?

At least we have to be able to use factory presets.

I like the rule. Romplers don't really suit the contest.

I personally would not relate Tim Conrady presets to a rompler, but to each his own....

I know this is not SONG-SYNTH-CHALLENGE (if I have ever forgot about WHY I left this place, thank you for the reminders here....) but a SYNTH challenge (who cares about the song....), o.k. have fun....

Wow. I think I used this thing in the 90s. :lol: Can't believe it's still going.

This one brings back memories. Probably the first VST I ever downloaded once I found out you can use 3rd-party plugins in a DAW. Looking forward to the outcome of this contest

pilotredsun wrote:This one brings back memories. Probably the first VST I ever downloaded once I found out you can use 3rd-party plugins in a DAW. Looking forward to the outcome of this contest
Will you be entering this month? :hyper: (I've really enjoyed the tracks I've heard of yours in previous OSCs)

zarf wrote:
pilotredsun wrote:This one brings back memories. Probably the first VST I ever downloaded once I found out you can use 3rd-party plugins in a DAW. Looking forward to the outcome of this contest
Will you be entering this month? :hyper: (I've really enjoyed the tracks I've heard of yours in previous OSCs)
Maybe. It all comes down to if I can get enough momentum going during the WIP stage. And if there are no project breaking bugs from using 30 instances of the same plugin.

bh9090 wrote:Wow. I think I used this thing in the 90s. :lol: Can't believe it's still going.
So that explains the UI. First thing I thought: Straight out of the 90s.

Also: Despite there being no info on the site about the architecture, this does appear to be a 64-bit-only synth on Mac.

I also got a kick out of the note that said that the VST is only for Cubase.

Finally I found about twenty preset banks including about 1850 patches! :phew:
I didn't listen to all of them (yet), but what I can't find still now: the basics
No drums, percussion, brass, strings and so on!
Seems Crystal is overqualified for bread-and-butter sounds :wink:

I suppose I have to create my own patches :shrug: (with "synthesized" waveforms of course)

BTW, my opinion in this sampled/synthesized discussion:

Yes, I agree, that usually sampled sounds should not be allowed, because the results wouldn't be comparable, if everyone uses his own wav files and I have no problem to make sounds only with this synth waveforms ...

... but in this case: We all work with the same machine, we all have the same amount and types of waves (I think the samples are included in the .dll file?). And to be honest: Don't we bend every month this sine-triangle-sawtooth-things :roll:

So in this month I would accept an exception according to our OSC motto: "Tweak it to the max." :D

teilo wrote:Wow. I think I used this thing in the 90s. :lol: Can't believe it's still going.
Well now there is even an iPad version so somebody is actively developing.

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/Crystal/Crystal.html

But what it really needs is a new GUI ..

I think when we did Diodow and Thorn we were limited to built in samples. I would be ok with here, but I'm also fine with the synth ones. Crystal seems very full featured for so I expect sound design on this OSC to be very high quality.

I do wish we could do a SQ8L OSC. Been meaning to spend some time with that baby.

Interesting looking synth. Too bad I will be not able to join this round. Too busy. But I will make some time to hear all tracks. Good luck.

Return to “Instruments”