Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10680 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am

fisherKing wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
fisherKing wrote:just a quick demo with emvoice one...
https://soundcloud.com/upstatebrooklyn/lucytest
Wait! You mean there's a Vocaloid competitor that one can understand, without needing a copy of the lyrics? :o

Much smoother than V. Better phrasing than V. Better diction than V.
wait, are you saying you understand what she means? or just the words she's saying (because i have no idea what she means).... :hihi:
Well, Shit's DEEP! But I was more referring to her diction, enunciation, and intelligibility :tu:

GearNostalgia
KVRist
244 posts since 28 Dec, 2017

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 am

fisherKing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The day of amazing synth vocals is probably long after I am dead and gone, if ever.
never say never. when AI finally meets up with a vocal-simulation plugin, we should have amazing voices to play with. the tech keeps advancing, so... might be sooner than you think.
Agree with you. Google Duplex and rendering power of the latest GPUs more points to that we can have decent voices in like five years or so.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10680 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am

GearNostalgia wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The day of amazing synth vocals is probably long after I am dead and gone, if ever.
never say never. when AI finally meets up with a vocal-simulation plugin, we should have amazing voices to play with. the tech keeps advancing, so... might be sooner than you think.
Agree with you. Google Duplex and rendering power of the latest GPUs more points to that we can have decent voices in like five years or so.
That CeVIO seems already to be at another level, and apparently that is some years old.

I'm not sure it even needs to be perfect, especially when you consider how much of today's production aesthetic is geared towards inhuman levels of tuning perfection, or voices that are overtly non-human sounding :shrug:

GearNostalgia
KVRist
244 posts since 28 Dec, 2017

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am

fisherKing wrote: first, most plugins have demos. second, you're obviously not the typical music-maker if you only dabble. third, most plugins don't fit the subscription model, so you buy them... or you don't.

why people think that a product should be geared to their specific needs, and not understand that there's a bigger picture is... amazing, really.
I have no idea how many hobbyist/tradesmen that use plugins, but I assume I am far from the only one. I am just saying that I am not willing to take a gamble on a big pricetag without a demo. Demo or low price? Either works for me.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am

there was an article in wired magazine some years ago, where a bell labs scientist, in the 1940s, predicted that 'by the year 2000, computers will be the size of a city block, and will be owned by the 5 richest men in the world" (something like that).

and here we are. flatscreen tvs, powerful smartphones, self-driving cars... anything is possible (and probably will happen sooner than we expect).
always one plugin short of perfection...

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 am

GearNostalgia wrote:
fisherKing wrote: first, most plugins have demos. second, you're obviously not the typical music-maker if you only dabble. third, most plugins don't fit the subscription model, so you buy them... or you don't.

why people think that a product should be geared to their specific needs, and not understand that there's a bigger picture is... amazing, really.
I have no idea how many hobbyist/tradesmen that use plugins, but I assume I am far from the only one. I am just saying that I am not willing to take a gamble on a big pricetag without a demo. Demo or low price? Either works for me.
ok, but who said there would be no demo? almost all plugins (at least, in my humble experience), have a demo.
always one plugin short of perfection...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37840 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:02 am

GearNostalgia wrote:
fisherKing wrote: first, most plugins have demos. second, you're obviously not the typical music-maker if you only dabble. third, most plugins don't fit the subscription model, so you buy them... or you don't.

why people think that a product should be geared to their specific needs, and not understand that there's a bigger picture is... amazing, really.
I have no idea how many hobbyist/tradesmen that use plugins, but I assume I am far from the only one. I am just saying that I am not willing to take a gamble on a big pricetag without a demo. Demo or low price? Either works for me.
7. i did some research.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 am

vurt wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
fisherKing wrote: first, most plugins have demos. second, you're obviously not the typical music-maker if you only dabble. third, most plugins don't fit the subscription model, so you buy them... or you don't.

why people think that a product should be geared to their specific needs, and not understand that there's a bigger picture is... amazing, really.
I have no idea how many hobbyist/tradesmen that use plugins, but I assume I am far from the only one. I am just saying that I am not willing to take a gamble on a big pricetag without a demo. Demo or low price? Either works for me.
7. i did some research.
i think it's 5 now (1 died, and 1's in jail)...
always one plugin short of perfection...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37840 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 am

i bet it's phil in jail. i said he was a wrong 'un.

Jaleo
KVRist
101 posts since 13 Jan, 2009 from Pontevedra, Spain

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 am

wagtunes wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
Jaleo wrote:Ok, I did the ABC test in Vocaloid 5 editor using the following banks I own:

Amy - English, female voice, packed with Vocaloid 5
Chris - English, male voice, packed with Vocaloid 5
Maika - Spanish, female voice for Vocaloid 3, imported in Vocaloid 5

As bonus, same test done with Synthesizer V.

Listen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JU5Ea ... aSRbLtmZGC

The comparison is fair in the sense that it's what you get out of the box.
maika is perhaps cousin to synthesizer V's voice? (which i prefer, btw). for me, they're ALL best used as an 'android' voice, and none ready to replace a real singer.
Amy and Chris were obviously rushed out by Yamaha in order to get the product out. They both suck compared to some earlier Vocaloid voices such as Cyber Songman, and Avanna. Shame on Yamaha for the half ass job they did on V5.

Maika is just an old V3 bank and always sucked.

So yeah, taking just the above into account, I agree with you 100% and I wouldn't even use them for Android voices. Disgraceful.

But Vocaloid HAS put out better. Human quality better? No. And that's never happening. But better than this and better than Emvoice and Synthesizer V.

The day of amazing synth vocals is probably long after I am dead and gone, if ever.
First, wagtune said to me:

"You're comparing an old Vocaloid engine with old horrible sounding Vocaloid voices to Emvoice. Not exactly a fair comparison."

Then, I made a fair comparison out of the box with the last version of the Vocaloid engine and that's what you have to say about the results?

It's obvious that Amy aand Chris sound like crap, no doubt.

"Maika is just an old V3 bank and always sucked." Seriously? what an argument, c'mon!

That a voicebank is old is not important in this case. Maika sounds good and clear because was properly done, but it's not an English voice bank, so you can't compare the pronunciation because phonemes are different.

"Vocaloid HAS put out better"... show it to us please!

Have you tried Synthesizer V? it's free and has the handy editor I ever used. In fact, it has everyting Vocaloid editor lacks, I mean, editing tools. I just hope editing in Emvoice would be easy to use as in Synthesizer V.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13610 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:48 am

@Jaleo

The problem with Synthesizer V is there is no VST version so integrating with a DAW is not easy, if at all even possible.

Have you DONE a full track with Synthesizer V, incorporating instruments (a full band track) and vocals together? How easy is it? It certainly can't be as easy as V4 where the editor is built right into the Cubase DAW upon load.

Unless the product has that kind of ease, which mind you V5 doesn't have, I'm not interested. Laying down tracks is hard enough. I have no need or desire to have to work any harder than I already do.

Jaleo
KVRist
101 posts since 13 Jan, 2009 from Pontevedra, Spain

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am

wagtunes wrote:@Jaleo

The problem with Synthesizer V is there is no VST version so integrating with a DAW is not easy, if at all even possible.

Have you DONE a full track with Synthesizer V, incorporating instruments (a full band track) and vocals together? How easy is it? It certainly can't be as easy as V4 where the editor is built right into the Cubase DAW upon load.

Unless the product has that kind of ease, which mind you V5 doesn't have, I'm not interested. Laying down tracks is hard enough. I have no need or desire to have to work any harder than I already do.
Problem over problem... you know that you can add an instrumental track, isn't it?... that's all I need in my case but a metronome in the app would be enough.

Anyway, the conversation here is about Emvoice quality and easy to use. Like many people on this forum, I'm glad a new singing synthesizer is arriving. I'm very curious and I have an eye on this product.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13610 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:@Jaleo

The problem with Synthesizer V is there is no VST version so integrating with a DAW is not easy, if at all even possible.

Have you DONE a full track with Synthesizer V, incorporating instruments (a full band track) and vocals together? How easy is it? It certainly can't be as easy as V4 where the editor is built right into the Cubase DAW upon load.

Unless the product has that kind of ease, which mind you V5 doesn't have, I'm not interested. Laying down tracks is hard enough. I have no need or desire to have to work any harder than I already do.
Problem over problem... you know that you can add an instrumental track, isn't it?... that's all I need in my case but a metronome in the app would be enough.

Anyway, the conversation here is about Emvoice quality and easy to use. Like many people on this forum, I'm glad a new singing synthesizer is arriving. I'm very curious and I have an eye on this product.
Well, you didn't answer my question and nothing you said leads me to believe that using either Emvoice or Synthesizer V is going to be as easy as far as integration as using Vocaloid 4.

So again, no incentive to waste my time with either regardless of sound which still isn't leaps and bounds ahead of Vocaloid.

Somebody prove me wrong. Make a video of the use of either one of those vocal synths in doing a complete instrumental and vocal track.

Show me how easy it is.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:47 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:@Jaleo

The problem with Synthesizer V is there is no VST version so integrating with a DAW is not easy, if at all even possible.

Have you DONE a full track with Synthesizer V, incorporating instruments (a full band track) and vocals together? How easy is it? It certainly can't be as easy as V4 where the editor is built right into the Cubase DAW upon load.

Unless the product has that kind of ease, which mind you V5 doesn't have, I'm not interested. Laying down tracks is hard enough. I have no need or desire to have to work any harder than I already do.
Problem over problem... you know that you can add an instrumental track, isn't it?... that's all I need in my case but a metronome in the app would be enough.

Anyway, the conversation here is about Emvoice quality and easy to use. Like many people on this forum, I'm glad a new singing synthesizer is arriving. I'm very curious and I have an eye on this product.
Well, you didn't answer my question and nothing you said leads me to believe that using either Emvoice or Synthesizer V is going to be as easy as far as integration as using Vocaloid 4.

So again, no incentive to waste my time with either regardless of sound which still isn't leaps and bounds ahead of Vocaloid.

Somebody prove me wrong. Make a video of the use of either one of those vocal synths in doing a complete instrumental and vocal track.

Show me how easy it is.
why not just wait until this is out for the pc, and try it yourself? always the best way to know if a tool is right... or not.
always one plugin short of perfection...

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13610 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:08 pm

fisherKing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:@Jaleo

The problem with Synthesizer V is there is no VST version so integrating with a DAW is not easy, if at all even possible.

Have you DONE a full track with Synthesizer V, incorporating instruments (a full band track) and vocals together? How easy is it? It certainly can't be as easy as V4 where the editor is built right into the Cubase DAW upon load.

Unless the product has that kind of ease, which mind you V5 doesn't have, I'm not interested. Laying down tracks is hard enough. I have no need or desire to have to work any harder than I already do.
Problem over problem... you know that you can add an instrumental track, isn't it?... that's all I need in my case but a metronome in the app would be enough.

Anyway, the conversation here is about Emvoice quality and easy to use. Like many people on this forum, I'm glad a new singing synthesizer is arriving. I'm very curious and I have an eye on this product.
Well, you didn't answer my question and nothing you said leads me to believe that using either Emvoice or Synthesizer V is going to be as easy as far as integration as using Vocaloid 4.

So again, no incentive to waste my time with either regardless of sound which still isn't leaps and bounds ahead of Vocaloid.

Somebody prove me wrong. Make a video of the use of either one of those vocal synths in doing a complete instrumental and vocal track.

Show me how easy it is.
why not just wait until this is out for the pc, and try it yourself? always the best way to know if a tool is right... or not.
Wait a minute. It's not even PC compatible yet?

Return to “Instruments”