Emvoice One Beta - new vocal synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Hey be careful man, you're sounding almost as sarcastic as me. Oh wait, I don't use sarcasm. I just come out and say when something sucks and then get crucified for it.
because what you say is all that matters? 'I just come out and say when something sucks'''? crucified? you need to calm down, get some perspective.

if you have an opinion, voice it. ie if you don't like the idea of a cloud-based plugin. otherwise (like myself, for example), it's just your opinion, and ultimately, not that important. :(
My opinion important? Please, my existence on this planet isn't important. Not the point. Point is, everybody else here can say whatever they want about anything and nobody says boo to them. I say it and I get called out on it, constantly. The hypocrisy is almost laughable.

And I get it that I'm not liked because I have a big mouth and don't care what I say. But man, there are some people here who say things that either have me rolling my eyes or laughing my ass off. Sometimes both as el-bo's comment really was hysterical.

But it's all good as long as it's not me saying it.

That's the reality of my existence here. And I've finally accepted it, which is why I don't even care anymore when somebody tells me off or tells me to stay out of a thread if I have nothing good to say, or whatever it is they want me to do. I just ignore them now and go on and say whatever I want anyway.

It's liberating to finally get to this point. You should try it sometime.

The business model of this product is beyond laughable. For starters, $200? For a subscription model? Seriously? What exactly is it that they think they invented here? Do you REALLY think this thing sounds THAT much better than Vocaloid? If you do, you're looking at this product through very rose colored glasses. It still doesn't sound like a real human being with all a human's complexities as far as vocal timbers.

And no product is ever going to get that good. At least not in my lifetime.

So yeah, given the price, the model and all the problems with running this thing, I don't see it being a big success, which is a shame because diction wise, it is slightly better than Vocaloid. I see potential here. But there's just too much baggage.

And before you say I'm not a potential customer, you're wrong. I'm probably more into vocal synthesis than anybody here. Just check my Soundcloud page. I keep praying for a real human like vocal engine. This isn't it. This isn't even close to being it.

Honestly, anybody who thinks this actually sounds so amazing should just get Vocaloid 5, pay a lot less money in the process, and get something that is virtually just as good.

Emvoice is no major breakthrough in vocal synthesis.

All you need to figure that out is just open up your ears.
opinions aren't facts; not even your opinions (if they were, you could be president).

i don't get it, what are you trying to prove? if you don't like it, say it once, and move on to another thread. it's like you don't approve, and hope to single-handedly take down this developer... then you've proven yourself right.

make a cup of tea, breathe. you've made your point (as i have i... so i will make tea & breathe too).

have your opinions; state them, move on. play nice. 8)

vurt wrote:i need to hear a 3 way rap battle between, vocaloid, emvoice and synth v!

emceed by a speak and spell!
At this point someone should just resurrect the "Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!" thread so the three of them can smash it out at the top of the forum, Monster Island style.

Pelicanomicon wrote:
vurt wrote:i need to hear a 3 way rap battle between, vocaloid, emvoice and synth v!

At this point someone should just resurrect the "Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!" thread so the three of them can smash it out at the top of the forum, Monster Island style.
done.

NoirSuede wrote:
Pelicanomicon wrote:

done.
o hey thanks :D

i think healthy competition is... healthy. i mean, we use what we choose right? and we all have our preferences (hence, 80% of these forum discussions).

for example, spire is not better than sylenth1... unless you think so; then, it's better for you. etc etc.
so, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the music we make, not the tools we use. people who listen to our music don't care which plugin made the bass sound, or which vocal app we prefer; the music works (or it doesn't).

yet still, i hang around here and get into arguments I MEAN discussions. some things we do for fun... :party:

fisherKing wrote:i think healthy competition is... healthy. i mean, we use what we choose right? and we all have our preferences (hence, 80% of these forum discussions).

for example, spire is not better than sylenth1... unless you think so; then, it's better for you. etc etc.
so, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the music we make, not the tools we use. people who listen to our music don't care which plugin made the bass sound, or which vocal app we prefer; the music works (or it doesn't).

yet still, i hang around here and get into arguments I MEAN discussions. some things we do for fun... :party:
sylenth1 doesn't have an anime girl plastered on its cover, so this competition is gonna be extra interesting to see what kind of people actually uses vocal synths.

NoirSuede wrote:
fisherKing wrote:i think healthy competition is... healthy. i mean, we use what we choose right? and we all have our preferences (hence, 80% of these forum discussions).

sylenth1 doesn't have an anime girl plastered on its cover, so this competition is gonna be extra interesting to see what kind of people actually uses vocal synths.
fair enough. anything with an anime girl wins... :tu:

The problem is, you can't compare vocal synthesis to traditional synth sounds. Trying to accurately emulate a piano or violin or whatever is something most people strive for. Trying to emulate the human voice is something most people hate. Go look at the thread I started where I said I'd pay $1,000 for a vocal synth to be able to truly sound like a real human being where you literally cannot tell the difference. Look at how many people said they dread the day that this happens.

For whatever reason, there is something sacred about the human voice. It's almost sacrilegious to even conceive of a vocal engine that is indistinguishable from a real human singing.

So in the case of vocal synthesis, yes, there really can be a true difference in products because of what it is they're trying to emulate. So far, nothing that has come out, Vocaloid included, sounds like a real human being. But of all the products out so far, Vocaloid is the closest and/or the cheapest/easiest to use.

As somebody who is striving for that perfection and would jump on any product that even came close to it, neither Emvoice or the other synth make me hear them and go "Wow, this blows Vocaloid away. I have to have it."

wagtunes wrote:

The problem is, you can't compare vocal synthesis to traditional synth sounds. Trying to accurately emulate a piano or violin or whatever is something most people strive for. Trying to emulate the human voice is something most people hate. Go look at the thread I started where I said I'd pay $1,000 for a vocal synth to be able to truly sound like a real human being where you literally cannot tell the difference. Look at how many people said they dread the day that this happens.

For whatever reason, there is something sacred about the human voice. It's almost sacrilegious to even conceive of a vocal engine that is indistinguishable from a real human singing.

So in the case of vocal synthesis, yes, there really can be a true difference in products because of what it is they're trying to emulate. So far, nothing that has come out, Vocaloid included, sounds like a real human being. But of all the products out so far, Vocaloid is the closest and/or the cheapest/easiest to use.

As somebody who is striving for that perfection and would jump on any product that even came close to it, neither Emvoice or the other synth make me hear them and go "Wow, this blows Vocaloid away. I have to have it."
we'll have this.... eventually. but why anyone would want a vocal synth to replace a singer is beyond me; outside of the novelty of it (or i guess, for songwriter demos)... who's the artist? and what are you presenting?

seems to be the limit for a control freak (& i am one, pretty much), but i ALWAYS have others to sing (or whatever) on my tracks, and voila! there's an artist presenting the song...

gd it forum ate my post

Whatever the business model, I'm alway shappy for more choices. Competition prevents stagnation, and if it results in improvements to my preferred synth or replaces with with something better, I'll be happy.
NoirSuede wrote:I wonder if there can be a happy medium between something like Emvoice and something like Vocaloid, the plain marketing of Emvoice just does not appeal to newcomers, meanwhile Vocaloid's marketing just causes it to have its own isolated community.
This is probably too much to ask of a startup, but one of my admittedly unreasonable complaints about Vocaloid in the West is a lack of "recognizable" professional voices. Japan gets famous singers like Gackt, Fukase, and Sachiko Kobayashi, and pro voice actors like Kikuko Inoue and Haruna Ikezawa. I think an acceptable alternative to offputting 2D characters would be working with professionals with at least some small amount of name prestige who are willing to offer vocal clones of themselves to Emvoice or whatever vocal synth maker. Like, what if the Steven Universe actors were agreeable.

You can tell I'm serious about this because I'm not typing like a slob anymore.

my brother has owned a million synths/keyboards; one of them was a korg M1. it had a piano sound, and we marvelled at how good that sounded. now, if i hear it, i cringe... it's awful.

some years ago, a friend made a record featuring a violin as the melody. when he played it for me, i asked how he did it. he said 'it's a real violin" (it definitely wasn't). then he (finally, angrily) admitted to spending a week getting the nuances right, using a synth, some eq effects, some sublte phase-shifting, connecting different takes (legato phrases, staccato). etc.

ugh. what was the point? it still sounded artifical...

it's all perspective. until we get AI in our 'vocal simulators', it will always be a balancing act. & by the time our computers will be able to sing better than we do, they'll also be better producers.

then we'll just be listeners, and it will be game over. :D
Last edited by fisherKing on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and well have sex bots.
livin the dream!!!!

vurt wrote:and well have sex bots.
livin the dream!!!!
or they'll have us.... :o

if were lucky!!

fisherKing wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

we'll have this.... eventually. but why anyone would want a vocal synth to replace a singer is beyond me; outside of the novelty of it (or i guess, for songwriter demos)... who's the artist? and what are you presenting?

seems to be the limit for a control freak (& i am one, pretty much), but i ALWAYS have others to sing (or whatever) on my tracks, and voila! there's an artist presenting the song...
Some of us either don't have the money to hire singers, don't want to work with people in the first place, can't sing themselves and have no friends willing to live with them to do all their songs. Some of us, like myself, would do anything short of killing or stealing to get a vocal synth that can sound like a Bruce Springsteen with all the grit and dirt that's in his voice or a Celine Dione with those powerful vocal chords and lungs.

Right now, the best you're getting out of vocal synthesis is the airy kind of vocal that you get out of someone like Jackie Ralph of The Bells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfMPDj3Pllc

And even Vocaloid, Emvoice or Synthvoice are nowhere near THIS good. That's how far we have to come to even get to this.

Return to “Instruments”