Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
acid alex
KVRist
39 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:48 am

I've been thinking about buying Dune 2 but I've seen a few posts recently in various forums about a Dune 3 being in beta. Is this correct? I don't really want to buy Dune 2 now if they about to release a big update soon. Does anyone know if they tend to have a cheap upgrade path when they release new versions? Thanks

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3002 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:48 pm

No idea if it's gonna be released soon, but why not getting it then update with a customer price to the V3 instead of paying the full V3 price?
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

chk071
KVRAF
17628 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm

I would guess it is only a couple more months away. I'd wait, TBH. Especially considering that Dune 3 will be patch compatible with Dune 2 (as far as i understood it), so, there's nothing to lose.

About the upgrade path: They haven't announced anything in that regard.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12668 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 am

A Xmas gift :wink:

User avatar
W23
KVRist
202 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:31 am

I would wait for a sale before buying 2 or 3. They DO have sales. That's how I bought mine. I won't knock the regular price but, I saved $70 just by waiting a couple of months

acid alex
KVRist
39 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 pm

I’m going to wait I think. I have Wavetable in Live 10 which seems more than capable (more so than Dune 2 you might say) so will stick with that for now I think.

melodyz
KVRist
182 posts since 29 Mar, 2016

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:53 am

Its coming. Wait for the new one if you havnt already purchased.

User avatar
Biome_Digital
KVRian
585 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

acid alex wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 pm
I’m going to wait I think. I have Wavetable in Live 10 which seems more than capable (more so than Dune 2 you might say) so will stick with that for now I think.
Wavetable is great for sure, but Dune 2 can do lots of sounds Wavetable can't. I just got Dune 2 today and my biggest request for Dune 3 would be "drag and drop modulation"!! :hihi: :hihi:

EnGee
KVRAF
5024 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Check with their support if you want to buy from them directly.
Richard gave hints in the charity posts that those who win the bids on Dune 2 might get version 3 discounted or free when released. So, it might apply on current buyers as well. It worth asking IMO.
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12668 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 pm

EnGee wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:51 pm
Check with their support if you want to buy from them directly.
Richard gave hints in the charity posts that those who win the bids on Dune 2 might get version 3 discounted or free when released. So, it might apply on current buyers as well. It worth asking IMO.
I suppose that applies to everyone who's got a legal copy of Dune 2.

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
5752 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:56 pm

wait for dune 10, it might have a built in automatic mix and mastering mode by then :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

EnGee
KVRAF
5024 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 pm
EnGee wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:51 pm
Check with their support if you want to buy from them directly.
Richard gave hints in the charity posts that those who win the bids on Dune 2 might get version 3 discounted or free when released. So, it might apply on current buyers as well. It worth asking IMO.
I suppose that applies to everyone who's got a legal copy of Dune 2.
Why do you suppose that?

Dune 2 wasn't a free upgrade for Dune 1 owners as far as I know. So, I suppose logically there is an upgrade price for Dune 2 owners, unless there is a grace period or I'm mistaken about the upgrade price!

If you mean it will discounted upgrade, sure why not for a period of time!
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12668 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 pm

That is what I marked bold, discounted, not free :wink:

EnGee
KVRAF
5024 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:28 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 pm
That is what I marked bold, discounted, not free :wink:
Yes, after I post it, I noticed that you meant 'discounted' not 'free' :hihi:

Anyway, I've got the impression in the charity that Richard meant more than 'discounted' but he didn't say 'free' so I was careful with my words :P
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

User avatar
hhuang9611
KVRist
444 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Re: Should I buy Dune 2 right now, or will Dune 3 be released soon?

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I won the Dune 2/3 on the charity auction and here is the email Richard sent me
As indicated in the auction text, you have the option to either get a DUNE 2 license right away, or alternative a DUNE 3 license. DUNE 3 is scheduled to be released about
end of November, so you'll need some patience, however you'll get a much better product (in our opinion).
Trance, Trance Is Life

Return to “Instruments”