your "super-synth" ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
pdxindy
KVRAF
13888 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 am

chk071 wrote:And, the new generation of soft synths or hardware VA also all come with a clean, tame, and boring sound
Pluck a string on an acoustic guitar and it is a clean, tame and boring sound. It is the musician who adds life to it through their playing. It looks to me that there is too much expectation on synths to be able to add the life that is the job of the musician.

Oh, and speaking of the new generation of softsynths... Here is a simple audio clip from RePro-5. It is not clean or tame...

https://draigathar.org/sounds/RePro5-3.mp3

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6152 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: your "super-synth" ?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 am

Although I don’t own it, Ana2 is quite the super synth. It does well what many of my other synths do individually. A lot of variation there in the different filters and oscillator tones.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

pdxindy
KVRAF
13888 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 am

hivkorn wrote:Bored,....,yeah i think you got it.
When was the last time i was excited or surprise by a vst synth ?...
In the beginning everything was amazing,but now nothing is really exciting.
Just like :" ho a new synth ! Let ear what it can do....ho sh*t , this is just another super analog sound better than everything before...next"

The same for the effect...
The incredible flexibility of todays synths means that there is no limit but your own creativity. It is still up to the person to add that creativity.

TIMT
KVRian
632 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 am

It's Z3ta for me (the 1st version.no idea what Cakewalk did to make it sound thinner,but Z3ta 2 sounds thinner to me)it's such a deceptively deep synth,has filter FM that doesn't sound like ass,good envelopes,modulation galore,can get really expressive,decent amount of modulation slots.the only thing i am not keen on is the circular routing which doesn't work as the manual implies,but with the waveshaping and messing with the general geometry of waveforms into PM,RM etc you can achieve an immeasurable amount of timbres.learn a bit about waveshaping,and it can be a "super synth"
I

Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 am

TIMT wrote:It's Z3ta for me (the 1st version.no idea what Cakewalk did to make it sound thinner,but Z3ta 2 sounds thinner to me)it's such a deceptively deep synth,has filter FM that doesn't sound like ass,good envelopes,modulation galore,can get really expressive,decent amount of modulation slots.the only thing i am not keen on is the circular routing which doesn't work as the manual implies,but with the waveshaping and messing with the general geometry of waveforms into PM,RM etc you can achieve an immeasurable amount of timbres.learn a bit about waveshaping,and it can be a "super synth"
As I recall this is famous Z3ta preset @4:41? 8)

https://youtu.be/hW0LiJHqTVg?t=4m41s
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

recursive one
KVRAF
3678 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 am

8 bar first contact :party: :D

Also here, from 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKeKIV ... e=youtu.be
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

sleepcircle
KVRist
273 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:42 am

my supersynth is repro by u-he

EDIT: also i agree with pdxindy
pdxindy wrote:Pluck a string on an acoustic guitar and it is a clean, tame and boring sound. It is the musician who adds life to it through their playing. It looks to me that there is too much expectation on synths to be able to add the life that is the job of the musician.

Oh, and speaking of the new generation of softsynths... Here is a simple audio clip from RePro-5. It is not clean or tame...

https://draigathar.org/sounds/RePro5-3.mp3
both regarding how the onus is on the musician to get something worth listening to out of the instrument, and regarding the fact that repro can kick out some absolutely delirious noises when you want it to
Last edited by sleepcircle on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am

recursive one wrote:8 bar first contact :party: :D

:party: :wheee:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

mrj1nx
KVRist
286 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 am

Theres a bunch of really good ones that could be a super synth. But they also have a personality. I have favorite presets in each one that i tend to always go back to for most of my projects. These synths are Diva, Bazille, repro 1/5, Fm8, ff twin 2, spire, chipsounds, super audio cart, fm tines, synplant, utonic, nerve and some of the logic stuff.

chk071
KVRAF
17037 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am

recursive one wrote: I think it's just a general change of producers' mindset. 10 years ago it was like "you need Virus to get these hypersaws and plucks, you need Nordlead to get these ripping FM sounds, you need JP8000 to get these huge pads, otherwise it won't sound right", now it's more about sound design and production techniques where the basic character of the synth is not that important as it is going to be layered, processed, resampled and whatnot.
Good point. Even though i'd still say that, the least you need to process the hell out of your plugins, the more beneficial it is, and the more it says about the base quality of the plugin itself. At least i have a lot of more fun with synths which have a big sweet spot, and sound good for more or less everything, than plugins you need to force to sound good for certain sounds. Or, having to have a load of them in your plugin folder, for all the small little things they really do well.

chk071
KVRAF
17037 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 am

recursive one wrote:8 bar first contact :party: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKeKIV ... e=youtu.be
Lolz. Reminds me of one of the Reason stock sounds, which also was pretty prominent in some tracks. :)

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12044 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 am

Teksonik wrote:A Painter with no talent blames his brush and canvas. :wink:
Grizzellda wrote:heh heh, well, ya see, fluffmeister, then you ought to be satisfied with what is already available, in 2018...dont'cha think? :dog:

You think I'm a smart ass? COME ON !!! :hihi: :hihi: :lol:

Seriously, fluffmeister, synths today are beautiful, maybe you should look within if you are struggling!
I don't think I am untalented, nor am I struggling. After all, this whole music crap is just a minor hobby for me, I have a solid profession and don't need to make a single cent with music.

Again, all I am saying is that after observing this whole VSTi scene for a couple of years, each synth has its deficits, be it GUI, CPU load, sound, features etc.
Some synths are surely much better than others, but I would not call any of them super.

This thread seems to be about go-to synths, not super-synths (which in my view refers to those Swiss army knife plugins that do virtually everything related to synthesis). I surely have my go-to synth as well, but I would not call it super. The "best compromise" is more fitting.

Cinebient
KVRAF
3616 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 am

What is a super synth.
I know a power synth called Omnisphere :D
Otherwise for a hybrid synth i would say Logic´s Alchemy and for the analog power there is P900 the king.
What about a mega synth?

Ingonator
KVRAF
12010 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am

While i own tons of softsynths and also some hardware synths currently my Top 5 "go-to" synths are those:
- Tone2 Icarus
- VPS Avenger
- Roland Cloud Jupiter-8
- Roland Cloud SRX Keyboards (includes all features and samples of the JV-1080 plugin)
- U-He Repro-5 (the installer and license also includes the Repro-1 plugin)

Wavetables created with Icarus could be imported into Avenger.

The combination of Icarus and Avenger is really powerful in terms of synthesis options and doing sound design.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12044 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 am

Ingonator wrote:While i own tons of softsynths and also some hardware synths currently my Top 5 "go-to" synths are those:
- Tone2 Icarus
- VPS Avenger
- Roland Cloud Jupiter-8
- Roland Cloud SRX Keyboards (includes all features and samples of the JV-1080 plugin)
- U-He Repro-5 (the installer and license also includes the Repro-1 plugin)

Wavetables created with Icarus could be imported into Avenger.

The combination of Icarus and Avenger is really powerful in terms of synthesis options and doing sound design.
You abandoned Saurus?! 8)

Return to “Instruments”