FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 am

Until some years ago i had owned DCAM Synth Squad including the first version of Cypher and now had a first look/listen at the Cypher 2 demo for Windows (my system specs are in my signature).

Feature wise it is great and there seem to be a lot of really usable and/or "old school" presets.

Concerning the overall sound which is very important i am a bit disappointed so far. I am missing that "analog magic" that i easily get with plugins like e.g. Roland Cloud Jupiter-8, U-He Repro 5, Synpase Audio The Legend, U-He Diva and some others.
As a fan of Synth Brass sounds of course i checked the corresponding presets in Cypher 2 and am not really impressed when comparing similar sounds in e.g. Roland Jupiter-8, Repro-5 or my own Synth Brass collection i made with The Legend.
To get a better comparison i will also try to recreate similar patches in Cypher 2, Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 and Repro-5.

Maybe the overall sound qualoity of Cypher 2 is great for others here but so far it does not really fit my tatse in that respect. FWIW recently even with Icarus and the built-in analog filter models (+ single cycle waveforms done by sampling real analog synths) i got better analog sounding patches than i was able to hear from Cypher 2 so far.

Of course this is only a first impression and i might be proven wrong soon, also by doing a few of my own patches with the Cypher 2 demo.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10880 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: FXpansion releases Cypher2

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 am

Ingonator wrote:As a fan of Synth Brass sounds of course i checked the corresponding presets in Cypher 2 and am not really impressed
The brass sounds were some of my favourite :shrug: Mind you, I only had a quick run-through. I also think that much of the fun I had was from using them with a Rise 49 :tu:

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:50 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ingonator wrote:As a fan of Synth Brass sounds of course i checked the corresponding presets in Cypher 2 and am not really impressed
The brass sounds were some of my favourite :shrug: Mind you, I only had a quick run-through. I also think that much of the fun I had was from using them with a Rise 49 :tu:
I "only" have a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MK1 as my main controller (and no Seaboard Rise...) but i do not think this matters when talking about sound quality which i did in my post above.

The Brass sounds in Cypher 2 might be programmed nicely indeed but my point was that at least for my taste they do not sound as nice and/or as analog like as they do in e.g. Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 or Repro-5 which are emulations of synths that were famous for that kind of sounds.
FWIW besides a bunch of analog modeled plugins i still own two real analog synths like Novation Bass Station II + Waldorf Pulse 2 and two digital/analog hybrid synths which are Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Korg DW-8000.
For all 4 of them i got really nice Synth Brass sounds including some i created myself.

On the other hand also wit hreal analog synths not all sound the way i like. So even if other people tell me that Cypher2 sounds "100% analog like" maybe the sound does just not fit my personal taste.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

zvenx
KVRAF
6931 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:27 am

I somewhat agree with you Ingonator with regard to Analog Brass. The factory bank definitely wouldn't be my first call for Analog Brass.
I have that covered elsewhere and will certainly use Cypher2 for type of sounds that I don't have covered elsewhere.

However I do think the factory bank does have some really nice analog sounding leads, bass, pads....
rsp
sound sculptist

db3
KVRAF
1990 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:46 am

Ingonator wrote: Concerning the overall sound which is very important i am a bit disappointed so far.
+1. Yet to be inspired by the demo. I remember feeling the same with Strobe 2, I felt it lost its mojo.
-dthree-

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 am

Ingonator wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
I "only" have a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MK1 as my main controller (and no Seaboard Rise...) but i do not think this matters when talking about sound quality which i did in my post above.

The Brass sounds in Cypher 2 might be programmed nicely indeed but my point was that at least for my taste they do not sound as nice and/or as analog like as they do in e.g. Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 or Repro-5 which are emulations of synths that were famous for that kind of sounds.
FWIW besides a bunch of analog modeled plugins i still own two real analog synths like Novation Bass Station II + Waldorf Pulse 2 and two digital/analog hybrid synths which are Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Korg DW-8000.
For all 4 of them i got really nice Synth Brass sounds including some i created myself.

On the other hand also wit hreal analog synths not all sound the way i like. So even if other people tell me that Cypher2 sounds "100% analog like" maybe the sound does just not fit my personal taste.
Judged purely on sound alone, you could be right. But I find that expression influences perception of sound quality i.e why sounds like 'Glorious Guitars', from Omnisphere, to me (and others, it would seem) sound so great.

All I can say is that I spent the most time with the brass presets, yesterday (Only the MPE ones, though). At this early stage I can't divorce the sound from the expressiveness offered by MPE. And luckily, I don't need to try :love:

Anyway, if you have the money, I'd really recommend one of the Roli boards :tu:

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 am

Did anyone else get a safety warning when downloading the demo? 8)

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:31 am

Everyone has different sound aesthetic tastes, and none is more right than the other.
Falcon is very popular here, there is no demo, but I can't ever recall hearing any sound demo from it ever that made me want to buy it.
Alchemy was very popular here and I was never in love with the sound engine.

Different strokes for different folks....
Indeed for me a big part of the beauty of cypher is its expression capabilities and a lot of its FM style stuff.....
It wouldn't be my first call for many type of analogue sounds from all the other synths I have, but for other sounds indeed it will get used.

My two cents.
rsp
sound sculptist

W23
KVRist
281 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 am

There are a couple of 3rd party vendors that are letting the upgrade version go for $66.99. Sounds worth it to me

bbtr
Banned
410 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am

I think it's not supposed to be a 100% analog affair, more like 'analog inspired'. So comparing it with HW emulations is a bit off.
The patches are always up to the skill of their maker.

Would have never thought to use it for brass. For me, it's just fine for drone excursions.
zvenx wrote:Everyone has different sound aesthetic tastes, and none is more right than the other.
Then there are those people called 'experts'. And 'pro's'. E.g., violin makers. Or violin players. Or brass makers. Or brass players. Have you ever played real sax in your life?

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:44 am

bbtr wrote:I think it's not supposed to be a 100% analog affair, more like 'analog inspired'. So comparing it with HW emulations is a bit off.
The patches are always up to the skill of their maker.

Would have never thought to use it for brass. For me, it's just fine for drone excursions.
zvenx wrote:Everyone has different sound aesthetic tastes, and none is more right than the other.
Then there are those people called 'experts'. And 'pro's'. E.g., violin makers. Or violin players. Or brass makers. Or brass players. Have you ever played real sax in your life?

No I haven't.....why?.......but if indeed there were right and wrong answers they would probably be much less manufacturers of instruments, maybe?
rsp
sound sculptist

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 am

The brass sounds are indeed not so good. But I assume it has more to do with the programming than with the sound of the synth.

What I don't like is that effects seem to carry over when switching to another preset.

The interface is odd and crowded. I can't even seem to find the effects 8)

But at least the RAM buildup thingy doesn't seem to affect my computer.

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am

The effects are on a separate tab :)..... fortunately :)
rsp
sound sculptist

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 am

zvenx wrote:Different strokes for different folks....
While that is often true, that is not what is happening here.

I didn't disagree with Ingy, just pointed out that I enjoyed playing the 5D brass presets, and that my perception of their sound quality was likely influenced by the expressiveness the sounds afforded me.

I also have not yet been totally convinced by this synth (Strobe 2 did nothing for me). I'd been lusting after Thorn after noticing the current Tantra crossgrade deal, and I still prefer that to this. However, as a 5d 'board owner, it makes a huge difference to be able to have all these expression modes built into the foundation of the instrument. Strobe has the same, but I am not inspired to try sound design within that as much as I am within this.

We shall see.

bbtr
Banned
410 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 am

zvenx wrote:
bbtr wrote:

No I haven't.....why?.......but if indeed there were right and wrong answers they would probably be much less manufacturers of instruments, maybe?
rsp
Yes, there are right and wrong answers, because some achieve success, and some go out of business. Please don't throw away expertise. 's all I'm sayin'
Last edited by bbtr on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”