FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
legowiggle
KVRer
3 posts since 4 Dec, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

I'm also experiencing a memory leak. I currently have a single instance of cypher2 open and a tuner on a single ableton track and that's taking up 2.6GB of ram. Each time a preset is loaded the usage jumps by around 25-200mb as far as I can tell.

Otherwise I really like it. I've used cypher 1 for years so I'm quite used to it and I think 2 is very nice, perhaps a bit easier to use and the mod sequencer is great. As for the sound I think it really nice and bright sounding, I haven't done an A/B test to see how it compares to the original, but it's definitely got that modulation madness going on in the oscillators. The filters are maybe a bit less juicy more gritty though I think the filter drive scaling is a bit different so it may be they have similar character just with different parameter settings, but with filter fm on there's a clear difference. All In all I think that it's a nice synth and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

Jonny Quest
KVRian
514 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Re: FXpansion releases Cypher2

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

christian f. wrote:This is a modern modular monster more than anything else.
It offers so much new modern sonic possibilities that it baffles me that people here are complaining that it doesn't do
"analog brass" patches for example like the plug ins that are specifically modeled to do this.

How many versions of the same sounds do you want/need ?
What is the purpose to look for these sounds and compare them to your favorites every time you install a new plugin ?
Especially when the plug in wasn't designed for that ?

I'm seriously interested to hear the answers.

Missing "analog mojo" in Cypher 2 is like missing the smell of diesel every time you charge up your Tesla.
A lot of folks believe if a manufacturer can't put forth presets that sound good, that it's a dubious sign of sorts. In other words, if they can't make it sound good, why do they expect I can?

That's a valid notion, in general.

That said, I have not tried the Cypher 2 demo, so can't speak to its presets. I was, as I recently stated, impressed by the Soundcloud audio files, which I presume are based on presets. Many of them sound fantastic to me.

As you say, I don't think the point of this synth is to go after the analog recreations of traditional synths, with brass patches, 808 basses, synth pads, etc. The market is flooded with many excellent forms of that, so who needs another?

This product seems to fall into the category of things like Omnisphere 2 and some of the AAS products, with its own modern take on such synthesis.

At $199, it ain't cheap, but in the right hands, it could be invaluable.

lastmessiah
KVRist
65 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

I forgot to mention, Cypher2 has a slew of wave shaping and filter types that Bitwig does not. That is actually a significant difference when shaping the harmonics that travel through the filters.

ChamomileShark
KVRian
1239 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:50 am

I'm a Seaboard owner so it's $79 for me.

The MPE is the biggest draw for me - but I'm wondering if I could achieve similar results/ sounds by messing around in Falcon - even if it were just editing the current MPE presets.

Benjamin923
KVRist
95 posts since 4 Jun, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

I can also confirm the memory leak. Build-ups occur when changing presets. Win 10, FL Studio 20. This will need to be hotfixed asap.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6152 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Jonny Quest wrote:I must say, based on the audio demos, this synth is very lush and rich sounding.

I don't know how much enhanced mastering went into the soundcloud tracks, but very cool stuff, especially the granular synth sounds and the string-esque (cello, cosmic sitar, rustic guitar) in terms of expression. And a spot on EVERYTHING IN ITS RIGHT PLACE synth. good show :phones:
I’m not sure yet how I feel about the sound. I guess I feel the same as v1 where I liked it sometimes but it often made sounds I distinctly do not like. But you’re right, the in it’s right place sound was pretty spot on.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6152 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm

lastmessiah wrote:I forgot to mention, Cypher2 has a slew of wave shaping and filter types that Bitwig does not. That is actually a significant difference when shaping the harmonics that travel through the filters.
And it also has the mpe expression ramps, which bitwig doesn’t and which is a significant mpe advantage. And dual filters. Even that is a huge sound design advantage. I wish phase-4 had two filters.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2210 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
lastmessiah wrote:I forgot to mention, Cypher2 has a slew of wave shaping and filter types that Bitwig does not. That is actually a significant difference when shaping the harmonics that travel through the filters.
And it also has the mpe expression ramps, which bitwig doesn’t and which is a significant mpe advantage. And dual filters. Even that is a huge sound design advantage. I wish phase-4 had two filters.
That‘s a serious argument against Bitwig...

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29655 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Check out that math page!

pdxindy
KVRAF
13888 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

lastmessiah wrote:
moshimoshi wrote:
lastmessiah wrote: Bitwig has Voice Stacking with per-voice modulation and most of its modulators are poly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_SCQtIq-A
Ah I see, this is cool, but this would be for its own internal synths only, would it not?
The voice stacking features are, yes. But that's not really a knock against it, Bitwig's native devices are awesome and can achieve pretty much any sound when combined with the native mods and effects. It is really a sound design instrument as much as it is a sequencer.
The per voice modulation is also only for Bitwig devices... but that makes the Bitwig devices amazingly flexible!

You can also do audio rate modulation... for example the LFO goes up to something like 20Khz

lastmessiah
KVRist
65 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Well, you can actually add as many filters as you want to anything in Bitwig Studio. Just saying.

I agree that MPE expression is much more advanced in Cypher2. I'm playing it with my Rise 49 right now and will probably continue to do so all night.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
2210 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

lastmessiah wrote:
Well, you can actually add as many filters as you want to anything in Bitwig Studio. Just saying.

I agree that MPE expression is much more advanced in Cypher2. I'm playing it with my Rise 49 right now and will probably continue to do so all night.
Have fun and greetings to the rising sun....

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm

You can shape modulation in Bitwig... but it is not so straightforward as the expression maps.

I also wish Phase-4 had dual filters... eventually we will be able to add the second filter! But that is of no benefit today.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm

lastmessiah wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: And it also has the mpe expression ramps, which bitwig doesn’t and which is a significant mpe advantage. And dual filters. Even that is a huge sound design advantage. I wish phase-4 had two filters.
But the filters are global only... not per voice...

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1146 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm

christian f. wrote:

Missing "analog mojo" in Cypher 2 is like missing the smell of diesel every time you charge up your Tesla.
The original cypher was marketed as the holy grail of analogue modelling back then( 2009) , with thru zero fm capabilities .
Calling the successor cypher 2 ,... you get my point
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”